• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to NoVa - need "business attire" advice

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I know there are several business attire threads, but wanted to ask specifically for the Northern Virginia area...or rather, for someone from California moving to the NoVa area....I'm going to be in an office environment, and will likely be in a mix of suits and "business casual" attire most of my days. I have a few decent suits, but am seriously lacking in regular business attire aside from that.

I will be starting at my new office in the new year, and am wondering what to expect in the way of weather....if you were to stock up on the basics, what would it be?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any particular industry?

I lived in NoVA from 94-99 and worked in private-sector computer technology, I found it to be as sloppy as Silicon Valley.

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Going to be in IT, but contracting for the G.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winters are wet and cold: Jan & Feb probably the worst. It snows a couple times each winter, sometimes rather heavily. There is also the phenomenon of "frozen rain" which is like a sleet/hail mash that freezes upon contact with the ground and you can wind up with 1/4" thick layer of pure ice covering your car.

Being in NoVA rather than DC, you'll drive everywhere and unless you go from garage to garage the only boots you'll need are to get to/from your car. Otherwise, stock up on wool sweaters and flannel trousers. A pair of grey flannel trousers, blue v-neck sweater and collared shirt with a nice pair of shoes will put you head and shoulders above most of your colleagues methinks.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Winters are wet and cold: Jan & Feb probably the worst. It snows a couple times each winter, sometimes rather heavily. There is also the phenomenon of "frozen rain" which is like a sleet/hail mash that freezes upon contact with the ground and you can wind up with 1/4" thick layer of pure ice covering your car.

laugh.gif

People do not handle the [extremely mild] winters well down here. They can't even drive in the rain. Then again, they can't parallel park in any weather.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless the OP currently lives in the Sierras, he'll find the NoVa winter much colder and wetter than just about anywhere else in California.

And as for Virginia drivers, yeah, I never saw so many SUVs spun-off into a ditch alongside the road.

scot

Reaction score
Dress is business casual in almost all government groups, slacks will get you noticed. Jeans are probably not acceptable in most cases, but paired a nice shirt and a sport coat and you should be ok as well. Properly tailored and people will probably wonder if you are out to steal their wo/men.

If you are going to do any sales focused IT work, suits are a must.

If you are working off site, shorts and a t-shirt seem to be fairly normal but I would still suggest jeans and a nice shirt at a minimum. This area is big into the "dress for the job you want, not the one you have" axiom.

Scot

gdc_2008

Reaction score
Got it, so bathrobe and cup of coffee....I want my job to be professional do nothing....
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the tips, looks like I need to invest in the real basics - pants/slacks, more dress shirts and a few sport coats.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
laugh.gif

People do not handle the [extremely mild] winters well down here. They can't even drive in the rain. Then again, they can't parallel park in any weather.

+1

Unless you're very senior in your company and dealing with senior gov't types, you won't need to dress better than what you did in CA. However, t-shirt and flip-flips usually don't cut it in most gov't offices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads