• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to New York - Need help

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent a couple years living within walking distance of my job- don't underestimate the positive impact this can have on your quality of life. It can buy you an hour or more free-time every day, and you avoid the special kind of hell that is riding the NY Subway (and the Lexington Ave Local during peak hours is as bad as it gets.) These days I'd sooner shoot myself than ride the subway after a long day of work.

Ive also heard that area around York Ave is the least expensive in Manhattan. Partially because it's so damn far from the metro, but you negate that by working on the neighborhood. The other factor is the neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired (Im not kidding its a wasteland up there)- you'll just have to weigh that against the cost savings and easy commute.

Ive never had much trouble finding street parking up there, but everywhere has the bi-weekly switch side requirement, which would be a huge hassle for any long-term. If you're on a budget, ditch the car and get a membership to zip-car.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold my mercedes (sniff) when I moved to Manhattan. Definitely not needed here, though. Nobody I know has a car.

herzzreh

Reaction score
I guess it depends where you work... I work in Staten Island, live about 10 min away by car. I ended up buying a 1700 sq ft place, mortgage is around $1400. It takes about 30 min by bus to get to the city (E. Village/Soho). Bar scene is somewhat lacking but food is awesome. Biggest benefit is being 10 min away from work... I can handle a 30 min bus ride when I wanna go play.

eevoh

Reaction score
dam 2k/month isnt cheap lol
and why do you have to live in the city? get a place in brooklyn, im sure its cheaper

tc6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eevoh
dam 2k/month isnt cheap lol
and why do you have to live in the city? get a place in brooklyn, im sure its cheaper

It might be cheaper, but for a young single guy working in Manhattan, there's nothing like living in the city. The nicer places in Brooklyn is more focused on families and the people who are higher up in income levels are usually seasoned Wall Streeters, so there's not too many great bars in the area.

MHH89

Reaction score
Agreed, Brooklyn is where you move to once you have spent some time in the city for a few years. Unless you are a hipster clown.

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
a friend of mine owns an apartment on e73rd/1st ave. Thats a nice area but its dead/boring. She pays about 2K morgage for a 1 bedroom.

mooga

Reaction score
what do you guys think about battery park city?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Move to Flushing. It's a bunch of Asians so it's not like you're going to get robbed.

Plus, the 7 train right into the city.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imissopenlayups
the 6 train is alwaaaaaaays packed out the ass

Depends on when you get on it, if you get on it by 8:30, yes. If you get on it at 7:30, no. Ideally, find a place where you can get 4,5,6 all together if you're on east side, if not, find somewhere close to 6. The express (4,5) really do save you time though. Spanish Harlem is scary in sight, but not in reality, I lived there for a year when I first move to NYC (109th and Madison), I was like the only Asian there besides some Chinese restaurant (though my building was brand new, not project housing).

Surprisingly, there are lots of Japanese live near those 109/110 area further east, like 2nd ave (high rise), so can't be that dangerous.

I used Craigslist all the time, but just make sure you don't fill in credit check or anything online through craigslist.

samblau

Reaction score
Wow...I love all the NY advice mentioning "the Metro". Sorry, it is the subway here, the "train" is acceptable as well.

Several of my new-to-the city friends have taken up residence on York in the 70's, they all work in midtown. You can get a decent 2-bed that is clearly a converted one for under $2k a month...it all depends on your standards...and for $850 a month my friend can't shut up about how she lives in Manhattan (after a few years in Astoria). The haul to Lex for the 4/5/6 can be a pain, but there is a crosstown bus on 79th, busses on 1st/2nd and of course the occasional cab ride will be necessary, and cost effective in groups. Anything north of 90 would be pushing it for me, mostly because the realtors/landlords have no conception of the relative value of their properties there. The UES can be fun, depending on your age and tolerance for a fair number of wannabe frat boys/sorority girls. Bring plenty of Banana Republic khakis and non-iron blue dress shirts and practice your beer pong/big buck hunter. In all seriousness, everything you would need is present on 1st/2nd Ave. Prop values will increase upon completion of the 2nd ave line IMO.

Craigslist is a valuable resource if you have patience and take what you see with a heavy dose of salt. Even the legit realtors are trying to screw you, remember that and be prudent, don't give them $ the first day, don't sign anything other than the standard form that you have seen something AFTER you have actually seen it and do not be afraid to try and negotiate. I would begin looking anywhere from 8 weeks out and tell them you can move whenever so that they don't try pushing something on you. I moved in December once...they are desperate to get people in that time of the year, don't let them tell you otherwise. If you plan on staying long-term, ask for a two year lease with no increase. If you have spare time, take a walk around the neighborhoods that interest you, there are some "for rent" signs that might be appealing.

I lived in midtown for just over a year. There is no community and almost everyone living the big city lifestyle was a poser transplant. I do not recommend the financial district unless you work a million hours downtown as there is little to do at night and most people I saw there were junior level finance people 3 to a 1bd with cases of PBR lying around. TriBeCa can be nice, but pricey. Parts of Queens have good value but the LIC luxury buildings seem to have been priced too high. I really like living in Brooklyn, but I live in an exceptional area that permits me to walk to work in downtown Manhattan is approx 30 mins, slightly less if I take the train. I have plenty of bars etc. near me. My rent is def not cheap, in fact its more than it would be on 1st/York but my place is much nicer (doorman, small gym, water view abeit towards SI).

Ultimately you need to see what works for you. Your commute is a huge deal, $$$ for rent should at least buy you convenience. Gym, laundry, post office, bank, supermarkets, dry cleaners...there are a lot of things that you realize you need after the fact...make sure you walk around a few blocks before choosing. Good luck.

MHH89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mooga
what do you guys think about battery park city?

It is cheap and you get alot of space but they roll the streets up at 7 and there is nothing to do aside from stone street.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
brooklyn is not bad but park slope or near the water is gonna run pretty expensive. and rest of brooklyn is questionable. within walking distance is prob best bet. and move quick, nyc real estate market is a beast like no other

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with the "move quick". I literally had 2 minutes to view and decide on the apartment I took. It was a sublet - and the guy said, "This isn't a sales job, but there is a guy downstairs who is coming up in 2 minutes and he's going to take the apartment if you don't". He wasn't kidding. I just happened to be in the right place in the right time (via craigslist) and got a sweet (but f-ing expensive) apartment.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Depends on when you get on it, if you get on it by 8:30, yes. If you get on it at 7:30, no. Ideally, find a place where you can get 4,5,6 all together if you're on east side, if not, find somewhere close to 6. The express (4,5) really do save you time though. Spanish Harlem is scary in sight, but not in reality, I lived there for a year when I first move to NYC (109th and Madison), I was like the only Asian there besides some Chinese restaurant (though my building was brand new, not project housing).

Surprisingly, there are lots of Japanese live near those 109/110 area further east, like 2nd ave (high rise), so can't be that dangerous.

I used Craigslist all the time, but just make sure you don't fill in credit check or anything online through craigslist.

I can echo these thoughts on Spanish Harlem. I lived at 110th & Madison in a not-so-brand-new building. All the tenants I talked to in the hallway or elevator were very nice. That being said, there were the occasional shady characters hanging out in front of my building or in front of the Chinese restaurant across the street. For me, though, the location was good because I was about equidistant from the 6 and 2/3.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads