1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to London for 5 months, where should I live?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kas, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Kas

Kas Senior member

I will be moving to London for an internship from September until mid-January. Where should I live?

I've got about 5000 euro saved up and will get an additional 800 a month. With a max budget of about 2000 for the first month, 500+800=1300 for the other months and 1000 for any problems; I think I will be fine. However, I really don't mean to spend it all if I don't have to.

Last year I spent 6 months in Malaysia (with trips to Thailand and Laos) for a different internship, so I already have some experience living abroad. Besides, I'm currently living in the Netherlands so there won't be much of a culture shock.

According to http://studenthousing.lon.ac.uk/ I should wait with getting a permanent place until I am actually in London. However, Lonely Planet tells me that hotel/hostel prices are VERY high in London - I really can't afford to stay in one for my first month.

The organisation I will be doing my internship with is in Richmond. Of course it will be ideal to live somewhere close because I'll be spending 5 days in the week over there. On the other hand, I don't know anyone in London at all so it would be cool if I could live with other international students nearby.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yup very high. Friend of mine was telling me it's £20 GBP a night at a flea-pit hostel in Hammersmith, 20 people in a room, all bunk beds. Also next year you've got the London Olympics, so rents will probably sky-rocket. But the way that London is burning at the moment, there might not be much left in 5 months.

3. Kas

Kas Senior member

Yeah :<

On a positive note, apparently I looked up the wrong address on google earth - the company is not in Richmond but smack in the middle of the City - so it doesn't really matter where I live.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011