• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to London for 5 months, where should I live?

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be moving to London for an internship from September until mid-January. Where should I live?

I've got about 5000 euro saved up and will get an additional 800 a month. With a max budget of about 2000 for the first month, 500+800=1300 for the other months and 1000 for any problems; I think I will be fine. However, I really don't mean to spend it all if I don't have to.

Last year I spent 6 months in Malaysia (with trips to Thailand and Laos) for a different internship, so I already have some experience living abroad. Besides, I'm currently living in the Netherlands so there won't be much of a culture shock.

According to http://studenthousing.lon.ac.uk/ I should wait with getting a permanent place until I am actually in London. However, Lonely Planet tells me that hotel/hostel prices are VERY high in London - I really can't afford to stay in one for my first month.

The organisation I will be doing my internship with is in Richmond. Of course it will be ideal to live somewhere close because I'll be spending 5 days in the week over there. On the other hand, I don't know anyone in London at all so it would be cool if I could live with other international students nearby.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

According to http://studenthousing.lon.ac.uk/ I should wait with getting a permanent place until I am actually in London. However, Lonely Planet tells me that hotel/hostel prices are VERY high in London - I really can't afford to stay in one for my first month.

Yup very high. Friend of mine was telling me it's £20 GBP a night at a flea-pit hostel in Hammersmith, 20 people in a room, all bunk beds. Also next year you've got the London Olympics, so rents will probably sky-rocket. But the way that London is burning at the moment, there might not be much left in 5 months.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah :<

On a positive note, apparently I looked up the wrong address on google earth - the company is not in Richmond but smack in the middle of the City - so it doesn't really matter where I live.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics