1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to L.A.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by earthdragon, Jul 11, 2006.

1. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

After 8 fun years in London, am being re-located to Los Angeles in December.

Grateful of any web addresses that could be useful in terms of property rental (houses and apartments).

Work is in West Hollywood.

Thanks

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

westsiderentals.com
    craigslist.org

avoid living in west hollywood unless you are gay. feel free to ask about specific neighborhoods. beverly hills is next door, and the apartments south of santa monica blvd are somewhat reasonable.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

You want to live in Miracle Mile.

4. Stax

Stax Senior member

westwood, brentwood, laurel canyon would all work also, although not your cheapest bets.

I also like the los feliz neighborhood and silver lake (although not exactly right next door, they are not unreasonably far either). Even Hollywood has some nice streets, although those streets might be adjacent to not so nice streets.

west hollywood does have a gay contingent, but I certainly would not rule it out on that basis.

5. mbc

mbc Senior member

I lived in LA until college, and am now returning... West Hollywood is a great area for gay and straight alike. I would say don't live there if you are homophobic, but it's a wonderful neighborhood. If you're working in West Hollywood, you could easily look at these other neighborhoods depending on your budget:

Hollywood Hills (esp Beachwood Canyon if you can afford it)
    Los Feliz (north of Hollywood Blvd).
    Silverlake (north of Sunset Blvd)
    Parts of Mid-Wilshire (Miracle Mile, Hancock Park, Carthay are all nice)
    Beverly Hills
    Pico/Robertson

I'd stay out of Koreatown, Echo Park, Downtown LA, etc. Some more good resources are:

http://www.lapdcrimemaps.org
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_neighborhoods

Note that none of these neighborhoods are especially cheap. If you want cheap housing south of the SF Valley, you have to live in a somewhat questionable neighborhood, settle for someplace tiny, or get really lucky. Craigslist is a great resource for market research, and is composed largely of small property management companies and individual landlords. If you're more the large apartment community type, http://www.apartments.com and others like that list most of the corporate apartment complexes.

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Avoid any neighborhood that requires you to commute via freeway, e.g., Pasadena. Unless you enjoy sitting in your car for hours on end, of course.

When I was in L.A. on business several years ago, I lived in West L.A. off Robertson, a few blocks from the Beverly Center. I thought that was the ideal location -- half an hour to the office in downtown L.A. and half an hour to Santa Monica.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

When I was in L.A. on business several years ago, I lived in West L.A. off Robertson, a few blocks from the Beverly Center. I thought that was the ideal location -- half an hour to the office in downtown L.A. and half an hour to Santa Monica.

I lived in Pasadena, but yeah, if you work downtown, avoid living there. Ambulance did have pretty much a perfect spot.

8. earthdragon

For all the really useful tips.

Not especially concerned about 'Gay' area's, nor is my wife.

9. whodini

whodini Senior member

When I lived in Los Feliz I could get to work in the mornings in West Hollywood within 20 mins driving.

Great thing I loved about living there, aside from the culture, was being between two major freeways. Getting to the 10 from West Hollywood can be a slow, painful journey.

10. ysb

ysb Senior member

resurrecting this thread.

I'm thinking of making the move this year from the east coast. I lived in LA for 3 years and just couldnt stand east coast winters anymore.

anyone have recommendations for moving companies? I think we would probably pack everything ourselves, but don't want to drive a U-haul across the country

thanks in advance

11. aizan

aizan Senior member

12. earthdragon

We used 'Allied' Shipping and they were great.

13. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

We used 'Allied' Shipping and they were great.

What neighborhood did you end up in?