• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to Argentina from Minnesota: Help!

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
About time somebody stuck up for me! Respek!

TrailofTears

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
About time somebody stuck up for me! Respek!

Sorry, Fok. I'll work through PM's next time I've got a gripe. Sorry, OP, as well.

And Robert, if getting told you have a sandy mangina is your idea of someone standing up for you, you are a sad soul indeed. Best of luck in life.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hey, you too! I wish you the very best in whatever endeavor you embark upon. In life.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Lucky bastard, enjoy your time! Argentinian women are the best.

+ 1,000

Also, it does get hot... but I remember it being not all that humid. Meaning it'll get hot, but its not uncomfortably hot like say most of Texas during the summer, and during the winter I don't think it almost ever dips below the 40s. Do bring lots of sunblock though, during the summer the UV index is at the 'extremely high' level pretty much every day.

daruma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
1. I am assuming that you mean BA. BA is warm this time of year, it is summer, it isn't "hot" as in, say, panama city. it is "hot" as in, say, NYC in August.

2. don't get seersucker, unless you want everyone to know that you aren't from around there. Argintinians wear dark wool suits, lightweight wool suits during the warm months (our winter) and heavier during the cold months (our summer).

4. have fun - the food is fantastic.

What did they wear during their downtime though? I'm set to arrive there on July, so summer. I'm set for colder winter. I'm from MinneSOHta! And yes, the food is what I will write about!

Originally Posted by mack11211
Bring a change of cloting or two but buy the rest of your clothing there.

Tailored clothing RTW is meh, but their SW&D stuff is fine. Some labels: Boliivia, Hermanos Estebecorena, Felix, Ben Simon.

And the peso:USD ratio is still near 3:1.

So your Yankee money will go a lot farther down there.

Will take note of those brands, thanks.

Originally Posted by adelphi
i stayed in ba for around 3 months last august with a friend and with my age group (25-29) i saw a lot of them wearing shirts and jeans. i dont think youd look too out of place if u went with like chambray/linen/oxford bd's. that was pretty much what i wore when i was there and matched with jeans. for footwear i rec either supergas or purcells. something breathable and nice on the feet if u plan on walking alot

I am around that age (26) and that was what I was thinking. Just a simple casual button-down, jeans or khaki trousers and sneakers. I was looking at Purcells but will also look into Superga

Originally Posted by Meis
+ 1,000

Also, it does get hot... but I remember it being not all that humid. Meaning it'll get hot, but its not uncomfortably hot like say most of Texas during the summer, and during the winter I don't think it almost ever dips below the 40s. Do bring lots of sunblock though, during the summer the UV index is at the 'extremely high' level pretty much every day.

I stayed in Dallas a while when I was 20. Weather was horrible. Seeing chicks in short shorts helped though!

cucurrucucu

Reaction score
Bring a change of cloting or two but buy the rest of your clothing there. Tailored clothing RTW is meh, but their SW&D stuff is fine. Some labels: Boliivia, Hermanos Estebecorena, Felix, Ben Simon. And the peso:USD ratio is still near 3:1. So your Yankee money will go a lot farther down there.
Luckily for the OP, the dollar is 3.85 argentine pesos these days. I lived in Argentina most of my life (and I'm in BA on vacations right now). It's a wonderful country to live in, even though locals may differ. I have to go now, but I'll post a list of the best Argentinean restaurants and some areas where you can shop when I come back.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cucurrucucu
Luckily for the OP, the dollar is 3.85 argentine pesos these days. I lived in Argentina most of my life (and I'm in BA on vacations right now). It's a wonderful country to live in, even though locals may differ. I have to go now, but I'll post a list of the best Argentinean restaurants and some areas where you can shop when I come back.
Geez. That's almost as 'good' (so to speak) as it was just after the crash in 2002, yes? I read that it was 4:1 then. The takeaway for the OP is that the peso prices have the same numbers you would expect to pay in dollars, for clothing and food and many other things. But you pay much less. So a 150 ARS shirt from a good streetwear brand is less then $40 to you, for as long as your dollars last. If you are being paid in them during your time there, you will be a happy man.

daruma

Reaction score
I'll be getting paid in the local currency but they will shoulder my rent. How's the quality of the clothes over there?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daruma
I'll be getting paid in the local currency but they will shoulder my rent. How's the quality of the clothes over there?
Occasionally quality control slips up, but overall it's very good. Just check everything you purchase. I have stuff from all of the four mentioned above. HE and Felix are now sold at boutiques here in Brooklyn. For out of season items and factory seconds, check the outlet stores on Cordoba, the southern border of the Palermo area, where you will find outlets of major labels with signs like 'temporada pasada/segunda seleccion."

ssnyc

Reaction score
You must eat at El Cuartito and El Mirasol.

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrailofTears
Robert, I just generally don't like your attitude on the forum. I think you belittle people who are less informed than yourself and who you deem inferior in some way. You have an unwarranted arrogance that seems to come from your seniority and perceived knowledge of all things SF. Instead of taking this experience and knowledge and using to further the point of the forum in helping people and commingling in a place dedicated to style/fashion, you use it to try to make others feel stupid or insecure. In short, you behave like a frat guy who's been in college for six years, treating the boards like some hazing ritual where talking down to people is par for the course.

I like this guy. +1

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey op you've got to get a linen suit, either bought or made. I'm serious.

cucurrucucu

Reaction score
Geez. That's almost as 'good' (so to speak) as it was just after the crash in 2002, yes? I read that it was 4:1 then. The takeaway for the OP is that the peso prices have the same numbers you would expect to pay in dollars, for clothing and food and many other things. But you pay much less. So a 150 ARS shirt from a good streetwear brand is less then $40 to you, for as long as your dollars last. If you are being paid in them during your time there, you will be a happy man.
Yep, we had a boom of tourists at that time. It's still inexpensive, and you'll live like a king if you come with dollars, but there has been an inflation since 2008 so it's not as dirt cheap as it was in 2005. These are my favourite restaurants: La Cabrera (Cabrera 5099, Palermo) - Amazing Argentinean barbecue with a twist. Just take a look at the pictures. It's as good as it looks. Kansas (Av. Del Libertador 4625, Las Cañitas) - Really nice barbeque ribs, and my favourite, ojo de bife. If you get there after 9.00 PM, expect to wait a while to be seated. It gets packed and they don't do reservations. But Argentineans have dinner much later than Americans so this shouldn't be an issue for you. La Dorita (Humboldt 1911, Palermo) - A typical Argentinean grill with good meat, in a trendy neighbourhood. El Mirasol (Boedo 136, Boedo) - Well there's like three of them, the other two being newer and in more touristy places, but I've been going to this one since I was like 4 years old. Probably not as good as some of the restaurants listed above, but it's a traditional restaurant, and their riñones a la provenzal (kidneys with provenzal sauce) are good. Marcelo (Alicia Moreau de Justo 1140, Puerto Madero) - One of the best Italian restaurants in the city, in my opinion. Huge portions. Piegari (Posadas 1042, Recoleta) - Same family as Marcelo, and similar food, but more expensive. Broccolino (Esmeralda 776, Centro) - A smaller, but very good traditional Italian restaurant. Las Cuartetas (Av. Corrientes 838) - Great pizza, but probably not something you'd expect. Thick, with a lot of fat, and stuff on top. Güerrin (Av. Corrientes 1368) - Another traditional Argentinean pizza shop. Also, try the ice-cream, which is actually a regional variation of gelato (I'd say at least half the people in Argentina are of Italian descent). Some good shops are Volta and Persicco Some good places to visit and walk around are Palermo (specifically Palermo Soho, around Plaza Serrano for shops and cafes) and Las Cañitas at night for some nice bars (and women). Recoleta and Barrio Norte sometimes look a lot like a small Parisian neighbourhood, especially if you go north past Av. Santa Fe. In Av. Corrientes between Callao and the obelisk you can find many bookstores open till very, very late and in Av. de Mayo between Congreso and Plaza de Mayo, be sure to look up for some nice old buildings. One of the prettiest and oldest neighbourhoods in the city is San Telmo: lots of antique shops, small cafes, independent theatres, etc. There's also a big fair on Defensa street on Sundays. The brands mack mentioned are good. Bensimon is a ripoff of a French brand (at least the name, dunno about clothes), but I still like it. You'll find most of these brands in Palermo Soho. Great place to walk around, do some shopping and end up in a cafe for a merienda (afternoon tea). To be honest, this country is more about food, women, football and nightlife than anything else. We do have a Harrods on Florida and Av. Cordoba, but it's been abandoned for a while... until they started using it for cultural events in the last decade. I heard they were going to reopen it with stores soon, but I didn't have the chance to go this time. It's near Galerias Pacifico, which is worth visiting as well. I'm going back to LA in 12 hours... I'll miss BA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads