• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to Alaska

JRPate

Reaction score
So I'm going to be going to Alaska to try and find work in the fishing industry. Most of my clothes are not fit for the type of weather they have up there. So what are some goods companies to get warm clothes from?

Thanks in advance.

genericman

Reaction score
Filson

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep Filson started their business outfitting the Klondike gold rushers.

SFFilson1 is the discount code to get an additional 15% off all our Filson stuff.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Kudos to you if you plan on living the stylish life there. Be an evangelist.

Harrington

Reaction score
Congratulations on the move. I grew up in the Northwest Territories in Canada, and it's a wild place to live. You're in for a hell of an adventure.

I'm moving back up there next month myself, so I've been doing the clothing re-fit also. I'll third the Filson recommendation, and also throw my support behind Patagonia and my low-budget standby, Mountain Equipment Co-Op. They're not as stylish, but they're not horrendously expensive and they'll keep you warm and dry. If you've got any specific questions about living up north, feel free to toss me a line and I'll help you how I can. One word of advice - waterproof boots. Get the biggest, baddest pair you can afford. Good luck.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father and grandfather's lesson from lives lived a fair amount outdoors was spend less, waterproof at home and throw away when neccessary.

To quote my father, "No boot is waterproof"

My dad swore by Hi-Tec many years ago but I have no idea what kind of product they put out now. It looks to be significantly cheaper by todays standards then it used to be. I remember him paying well over $100 for boots over 20 years ago and it looks like most of their stuff is now $60ish.

dsbkoko

Reaction score
I second Patagonia. Not always stylish, but high tech, environmentally and socially concious, as well as a return policy that can't be beat.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A good dosing of sno-seal on a pair of leather boots

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
A good dosing of sno-seal on a pair of leather boots

Yep that's what I do and it works pretty good.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent a summer up there working onshore fish processing. Feel free to PM me any questions. Everyone up there wears these
http://www.xtratufboots.com/
The neoprene is warmer than oldschool rubber boots and they fit tight which is important when the water (or ice if you're in a plant) falls on you. Good thick socks and lots of them are important. Jeans and tshirts are what I wore but a water proof coat is good to have. I worked for Dragnet Fisheries in Dillingham but I don't think they exist anymore. It was hard ass work but I got to see Alaska and meet a lot of crazy people. Well worth it.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Get wool (anything): moisture wicking, warm and antimicrobial

kusumek

Reaction score
As someone who grew up in Alaska I speak from experience when I say Carhartt's rule Alaska working men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads