• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving overseas with a small (starter) wardrobe - pick it!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Let's say you are taking an assignment and moving overseas (lets say US to Europe) for a year or two at least.

You can't bring all your stuff right away, and need to choose a basic wardrobe that you can rely on for work (assume standard business dress - suits) and pleasure. Lets say two large suitcases of clothes.

What do you bring? How many of each item, etc?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your definition of small starter wardrobe and mine are different, perhaps because I dress casually:

I would bring (a) my RM Williams craftsmen in chestnut, (b) two pairs of cotton trousers, in camel and brown, (c) a dark brown belt, (d) 4-5 button down shirts, one white, the others with greens, reds, or oranges, (e) my brown half-zip sweater, or possibly my maroon v-neck, (f) my chocolate brown corduroy jacket, (g) 3-4 pocket squares to match the shirts, (h) 7 v-neck undershirts, (i) 7 pairs of underwear, and (j) 7 pairs of socks in colors that match either my trousers or my shirts.

Given that I'd have to wear some of this on the flight, the rest could easily be packed into a carry-on.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Since you must wear suits for work (assuming that's standard business dress), I would err heavily towards that:

3 suits (charcoal, navy, medium gray -- solids would be my pick for both business and pleasure)

2 pair of business shoes (brown EGs and black lace-ups Lidforts would be my preference)

Approx. 7 shirts for work in basic white/blue/pink and, at most, 3 others for pleasure

1 Barbour or trench coat (I think one could survive most of one year in Europe)

About 5-10 ties, pocket squares, etc.; they don't take much room and would be needed for variety.

To round it out, I'd say one pair jeans, one pair casual pants (e.g., cords for me), two sweaters (light and heavy), 2-3 t-shirts and 1-2 casual shoes (running shoes, loafers, etc. as suits your style)

Of course, since most of my stuff is from Europe, supplementing it would be easy.

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Since you must wear suits for work (assuming that's standard business dress), I would err heavily towards that:

3 suits (charcoal, navy, medium gray -- solids would be my pick for both business and pleasure)

2 pair of business shoes (brown EGs and black lace-ups Lidforts would be my preference)

Approx. 7 shirts for work in basic white/blue/pink and, at most, 3 others for pleasure

About 5-10 ties, pocket squares, etc.; they don't take much room and would be needed for variety.

To round it out, I'd say one pair jeans, one pair casual pants (e.g., cords for me), two sweaters (light and heavy), 2-3 t-shirts and 1-2 casual shoes (running shoes, loafers, etc. as suits your style)

Of course, since most of my stuff is from Europe, supplementing it would be easy.

This pretty much does it, but I think you could actually get a little more in two suitcases, especially if you wear some of your bigger items (coat, one suit, boots...). If I had room, I would add another dark suit (maybe a chalk stripe), and a couple more pairs of shoes.

Really it depends whether you want an excuse to buy stuff or not.

flipster

Reaction score
could you be perhaps more specific to which part of Europe you are going to move? Climate in Italy requires a different wardrobe than eg England..

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flipster
could you be perhaps more specific to which part of Europe you are going to move? Climate in Italy requires a different wardrobe than eg England..

North - UK, France, Germany, etc

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not including the clothes (hopefully a suit) you wear on the plane:

Charcoal suit.
Navy blazer.
Tan gabs, charcoal flannels, and something glenplaid for pants.
Black & brown dress shoes.
Burgundy loafers.
8-10 dress shirts (mostly white, sky blue, and a couple simple patterns).
Charcoal herringbone chesterfield.
Navy trench coat.
Umbrella.
A dressy hat.
Assorted socks.
Assorted ties.
Assorted undergarments.
Box of condoms.

It should all fit in one large briefcase.
Buy the rest once you get there (that's half the fun).

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo

Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Not including the clothes (hopefully a suit) you wear on the plane:

Charcoal suit.
Navy blazer.
Tan gabs, charcoal flannels, and something glenplaid for pants.
Black & brown dress shoes.
Burgundy loafers.
8-10 dress shirts (mostly white, sky blue, and a couple simple patterns).
Charcoal herringbone chesterfield.
Navy trench coat.
Umbrella.
A dressy hat.
Assorted socks.
Assorted ties.
Assorted undergarments.
Box of condoms.

It should all fit in one large briefcase.
Buy the rest once you get there (that's half the fun).

good stuff, guys, this is what I am looking for.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand as I am in the midst of moving to a new country.

This trip (4 weeks), I packed the following:
4 x suits (see my WAYW posts)
1 x navy cotton s/coat
10 x business shirts
2 x shirts for w/ends
1 x navy polo
1 x raw denim jean
1 x white denim jean
1 x navy cotton pant
1 x orange cotton/linen pant
10 x u/wear
3 x bow ties
3 x woven ties
3 x knit ties
10 x socks
2 x white t/shirts
2 x grey t/shirts

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I understand as I am in the midst of moving to a new country.

This trip (4 weeks), I packed the following:
4 x suits (see my WAYW posts)
1 x navy cotton s/coat
10 x business shirts
2 x shirts for w/ends
1 x navy polo
1 x raw denim jean
1 x white denim jean
1 x navy cotton pant
1 x orange cotton/linen pant
10 x u/wear
3 x bow ties
3 x woven ties
3 x knit ties
10 x socks
2 x white t/shirts
2 x grey t/shirts

Awesome, great list and i love your style. Glad you're taking those awesome orange pants with you!

What about the shoes? And how many suitcases did it take?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Awesome, great list and i love your style. Glad you're taking those awesome orange pants with you!

What about the shoes? And how many suitcases did it take?

- This is Singapore.. No one wears shoes...
devil.gif

3 x *C&Js
1 x *EG
1 x runners
1 x Todd's drivers for the plane

Suit-cases
1 x full size Rimowa for my suits & & shirts
1 x 3/4 size Rimowa for my shoes & toiletries
1 x roll-on Rimowa (suit, shirt, shoes & toiletries incase they loose my luggage)
1 x carry on Prada (lap-top etc)

*also packed the trees as the humidity & be harsh on the shoes

This is my standard 2 weeks as I never know what the laundry is going to be like.
The pic below is of the 3/4 & carry on from my last trip to Singapore & Shanghai
Travel.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads