• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving out on your own, essential buys ?

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving out pretty soon, I feel like I should be preparing more, but I'm not too sure what I am going to need. So far I've only been slowly acquiring some bottles for a liquor cabinet & some towels..

Can anyone think of essentials one might need once living on there own ?

KBW

Reaction score
microwave?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For some reason a picture of you sitting on some folded up towels in an otherwise empty room, desperately drinking a bottle of Absolut and pondering what you could have possibly missed is absolutely hilarious to me.

It's pretty simple though - walk through your typical day and see what you use. Then buy that stuff. No one here can make a list for you.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Microwave, double height toaster often, cutlery, dinner ware set, some pots and pans, bedding, towels, TV, stereo, bed and general bedroom furniture, couch and general living room furniture.

Reaction score
Rice cooker.
French Press.
Knives.
Flashlight.
Gas mask.

ms244

Reaction score
A freaking truck.................

(looking around at my new empty apartment with no furniture or a mattress.............)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lots of condoms, unless you're conne.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
1 left sock
1 half loaf of bread
1 empty tube of toothpaste
3 sugar cubes
and an orange crate

or, like, housewares. Go to Bed, Bath, & Beyond and just stroll.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An all around cookbook
Knives
small BBQ
Dishes for 6-8 including bowls for chili, soup, cereal, ice cream, etc.
Glasses for 12 including beer glasses (pint)
a set of pots and pans
One good floor lamp
One good desk lamp
One comfortable chair
Iron/ironing board
vacuum
music source-clock radio, ipod docking station, hi-fi, etc.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Nice flat panel T.V. Are you buying or renting?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cleaning supplies:
Vaccum, Swiffer, Mop, Broom, Dustpan, Washrags, Windex, Papertowels, trashbags, etc.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1,000,000 on french press and microwave. Add an electric water kettle, and those are essentially the only two things you need to survive. And don't skip the french press. Get one of those small 2 cup ones. Critical in the morning.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it should be noted that keeping your place clean is of prime importance. You can have all the cool *********** world but if your place is nasty no one is going to want to be there very much.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
I think it should be noted that keeping your place clean is of prime importance. You can have all the cool *********** world but if your place is nasty no one is going to want to be there very much.

I agree. Even in college when everyones pad was a total crap hole, I always kept mine spotless. My place now is no different. I work crazy hours, and do most of the cleaning, but have a housekeeper come in to tidy things up!

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A half-dozen cookbooks that focus on quality ingredients with relatively easy prep. A) this is your chance to eat like a king without fighting for fridge and counter space with parents/siblings/roomies. Balance out the liquor consumption and eating out with a few good, simple meals every week. B) Ladies love a good cook.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads