• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving out-Living with roommates-Experiences

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
okay so right now i live in the suburbs of toronto. when summer comes i have to be out of here and living downtown. i cant take the suburbs much longer as i love a fast paced life and goin out spontaneously etc. and it aint that easy to do in the suburbs. im looking at places with 3-4 roommates because i think it would be fun to meet new people and be able to have someone to just go out with whenever etc. im very easy going so i dont think id have a problem dealing with roommates. what have your experiences been with roommates?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
when u move out i can come visit u and we can get drunk in ur place but not in public cause im ugly and a big embarasseemtn but we can chill and be cool

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3-4 roommates is too much. I'd say 2 max. i'd also want to make sure i knew them well in advance. Bonus points if they are not disgusting slobs, but most young guys are. For me, the irritation isn't worth it. I don't like waiting for the bathroom, or not being able to use the kitchen cause someone else is in there or has left the sink filled with dishes. I don't like having to bust balls for them to do their part of the cleaning, or even just to clean up after themselves. And there's nothing worse to waking up for work in the morning and going in to the bathroom to take a shower only to realize that it reeks of someone else's fecal matter.

Then again, my best friends are people i lived in the same dorm as.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
when u move out i can come visit u and we can get drunk in ur place but not in public cause im ugly and a big embarasseemtn but we can chill and be cool
exactly!
Originally Posted by GQgeek
3-4 roommates is too much. I'd say 2 max. i'd also want to make sure i knew them well in advance. Bonus points if they are not disgusting slobs, but most young guys are. For me, the irritation isn't worth it. I don't like waiting for the bathroom, or not being able to use the kitchen cause someone else is in there or has left the sink filled with dishes. I don't like having to bust balls for them to do their part of the cleaning, or even just to clean up after themselves. And there's nothing worse to waking up for work in the morning and going in to the bathroom to take a shower only to realize that it reeks of someone else's fecal matter.

Then again, my best friends are people i lived in the same dorm as.

yeah but i think me and you are very different....

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way I'm living with someone again is if we're ******* on a regular basis.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
The only way I'm living with someone again is if we're ******* on a regular basis.

You live in Toronto? Westy needs help to get laid anyway.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You live in Toronto? Westy needs help to get laid anyway.

thats a ******* lie you ************* now take it back.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty laid back, so I don't tend to have problems with roommates. I try to be quiet when I come home late, I tolerate them coming home late, so on and so forth. In my college days I lived with lots of random people. I also make friends pretty easily, so that stuff was never a problem.

Although, I did have a roommate in the dorms in college that wouldn't get the hint that I was trying to screw the girl I brought back to the room. He'd sit there and play computer games and stuff, all oblivious to what was going on. Nice guy though, just really really oblivious.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If it's just for the summer, a few years back I rented a UFT dorm room for about 3-4 months. It was great. Right at yorkville, i had 3 random roomates and they were all ok. I'm not too fussy but all the people I met were generally normal. I think rent was like $750/month... anyway, just an idea.

I hear ya about suburby. I'm in T-hill... can make it hard to get out.

As for your housing... I've lived in several houses with anywhere from 1 to 5 roommates... In some cases I became really good friends with the one guy, and with the 5 they were all random, strange, and I pretty much tried to only be at home to sleep... My advice is:

Stick to 2-3 max. First, post the word around to friends of friends, and at worst post to the public. Then, Important - Literally, interview people. go out for a coffee, drinks, etc. See if you like them.

Ive heard of some bad situations, but not all that often. always some crazy story, usually between girls. Don't worry about it too much. But do your diligence.

Also, I always made sure to have a meeting up front with everyone to discuss "house rules" and logistics. Make a rotation of chores, curfew hours, grocery/fridge stuff, dirty dishes, friends sleeping over, drugs, etc. I'm not uptight at all, seriously. Just prudent. If it's been discussed, everyone knows.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it if was with anyone I did not know very well.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some good and some bad experiences with roommates. Definitely no more than 2, but just shop around. I'm sure there are many listed on craigslist, so just meet some potentials and go from there.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm of the mind that a man should quit roommates and footie pajamas at the same time.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I'm of the mind that a man should quit roommates and footie pajamas at the same time.

I think its a great way to save some money. It's fine if you are young, and it can actually be a lot of fun as well. One of my former roommates, who I met randomly during a roommate search, has turned into a good friend. I think it is important to find roommates who are in the same position in life. We were all professionals in our 20's.

I went from paying 800/mo in rent plus 250/mo in utilities, to paying 450/mo all in, and living in a better neighborhood. At 22, it was well worth it to me.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Living with my wife in my clean home now, I look back at my college years (with 4 other roommates) and think that I would rather die than move back to that.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One or maybe two other roommates can save you a lot of money with minimal inconvenience. And it has other benefits as well--their friends become your friends, if you guys are at the same place in life you always have someone to go to a bar with, if you have the same friends you can carpool a lot of places, etc. Unless you're really making bank it just makes sense to live with at least one other person in your early 20s.

Once you get to above 3 people using the same kitchen it becomes harder to enforce cleanliness standards, especially in the kitchen, and **** goes downhill fast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads