• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving from to Canada - how to dress warmly?

footprints

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I will soon be moving to a place with a real winter...eastern Canada. I have realized that I simply have no idea how to dress warmly but still dress well in such a place. I've had the luxury of being completely ignorant to warm dress clothes -- the sole exception being a knee length gray wool coat that I've worn over my suits when I travel to Boston or NY in the winter time.

My usual business attire consists of suits and/or sport coats. Do I simply add a coat over the top for the drive in to the office? What's the difference between a car coat and a top coat? Do people in snowy climates wear different dress shoes? Or maybe dress boots? Or those rubber shoe covers that my grandpa used to wear? I assume I'm going to have to get used to scarves and gloves, too. Help -- I'm scared! :)

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear good shoes- yes, get rubbers, like Tinglys etc.

A good topcoat, dress gloves... a nice couple of cashmere scarves...

Honestly- part of your answer will be "how's your cold tolerance?"

If you wear a suit every day and tend to feel cold... you'll want to think about dveloping a winter suit collection and a summer or three-season. So for winter you'll look at heavier fabrics, flannels, etc.

Car coats are shorter.

Where in Canada?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
If you wear good shoes- yes, get rubbers, like Tinglys etc.

A good topcoat, dress gloves... a nice couple of cashmere scarves...

Honestly- part of your answer will be "how's your cold tolerance?"

If you wear a suit every day and tend to feel cold... you'll want to think about dveloping a winter suit collection and a summer or three-season. So for winter you'll look at heavier fabrics, flannels, etc.

Car coats are shorter.

Where in Canada?

+1

It is not that bad but I am in Calgary and not the east coast so it is different here. You might want to look ar rubbers but more often then not you won't need them unless it is slushy. Get two good overcoats and some heavy winter weighted suits. A few nicer gloves to go with the coats and a few scarves.

I drive in from a nice warm garage to a heated spot D.T. so I get to avoid the worst but I would recommend getting a car starter to heat it up when you are at the mall or out for dinner. The worst part of winter is getting into a freezing car, but the best it how peaceful a good nights snowfall sounds and looks.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Don't worry, I bike year round in Toronto, including to work most days. There are many winter days where it is above freezing in the core. Rain and slush is not unusual.

As others have said it depends what city you go to--Montreal is much colder and snowier than TO.

In the city a wool coat, gloves, and a scarf should do you well. Wear the wool coat over your suit/blazer. The cities do a reasonably good job of clearing snow in the core, so waterproof or rubber soled shoes are usually all that's needed (no Arctic expedition boots). Many people will wear one set of shoes to commute, and keep nicer sets at the office.

[edit] Many commute via GO train or the TTC subway/streetcar system. For car transit or working in the suburbs, maybe someone else can chime in?

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by footprints
I will soon be moving to a place with a real winter...eastern Canada.
)

eastern as in Newfoundland - or eastern as in eastern ontario/ottawa?

a little different - especially as some posts have indicated...you live in a city or suburb.

footprints

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I'm moving to Montreal, so I guess I'm in for some white stuff! :)

Speaking of Montreal...can anyone recommend some clothing stores there that might stock nice topcoats, gloves, etc.?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I'm moving to Montreal, so I guess I'm in for some white stuff! :)

Speaking of Montreal...can anyone recommend some clothing stores there that might stock nice topcoats, gloves, etc.?

Ha! Here's a video of a friend last winter in Montreal

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha! Here's a video of a friend last winter in Montreal

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Living in the Twin Cities- I sympathize.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
winter in Montreal

I see your Montreal snow and raise you some Chicago wind.
wink.gif

andyw

Reaction score
Quebecois are very fond of the home grown coat company called Kanuk. They are very warm and IMHO overpriced. They are manufactured right in the Plateau and have sales a couple times a year. http://kanuk.ca/ang/index.html

The other Canagian outerwear company is Canada Goose and products are made in Canada.

Quite a few furriers are located in Montreal if that is yoir cup of tea.

I think after several weeks, you'll get acclimated and traipse around in a buffalo plaid shirts in sub freezing weather.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I'm moving to Montreal, so I guess I'm in for some white stuff! :) Speaking of Montreal...can anyone recommend some clothing stores there that might stock nice topcoats, gloves, etc.?
Welcome to one of the great cities of this snowy wonderland! Firstly and most importantly: (No joking here) The cops have gone ******* mad in this city in the last two or three years. Don't even break wind or you might get a ticket! They gave no tickets for years, now, you can not breath with out a cop sticking a probe up your rear end! be very careful in your car, respect the rules or pay the price! Even then, they give tons of gray zone tickets. I have never seen a city as ticket crazed as Montreal has become. The bicycle cops kick you out of the parks at 11pm! Sacrilege! Banish them to hell I say. Now, on to the other little details, The woman are great, we work to live, not live to work. Don't drive the troops too hard, they'll revolt! Fresh snow? Go skiing for half a day! (Sutton, blow Tremblant off) Great summer day? Long lunch! Summer eve pic nic in the park? Go for it, make love in the park! (be discrete pls) Watching women is not politically incorrect, it is an art. Do it properly pls. Quebecers make longer direct eye contact with total strangers than any other group of people in north America (fact, university research believe it or not). It is ok to say (with your eyes), wow you're beautiful, but know when to move on and keep it harmless. They also give every performer on stage a standing ovation, even when they suck! There are more "granolas" than most other places in Canada. Biking to work is cool and "hot", driving a 4x4 to work is not! The store with the best clothes in the city is Uomo Montreal on Peel. The first time I walked in that shop I wanted to smack the guy in the head. With time and getting to know him, they are great guys and I really like them a lot. Holts has the best sales, but most of their stock is terrible, brand whore type stuff. They always have a large selection of cock roach killer shoes. Toronto seems to get better gear at Holts than MTL does. Harry is...well...Harry. Peel is much better than Rockland. Rockland as a shopping complex is close to terrible, don't waste your time until you have a half day to kill and it is minus 30 degrees outdoors. How old are you? There are 4 university campuses downtown. Do you have a GF / wife? Take her to see George at Scandale. Does the wife have kids of late high school age? take her to see Marie St. Pierre. Henri and Henri is the place for hats and scarves and gloves, but go early, they do not restock after the start of winter. Quebecers love Kanuk because Louie G, (the owner) is a really nice guy! Happy to making money doing what he loves. He gives a lot back, but discreetly, and never takes the spot light. Just does his thing and moves on. i do not own any, never have, probably never will, he has offered several times, but in the end, he could care a less and holds no grudge that I prefer other things. He has always been very cool and very kind in my dealings with him. On a snowy morning, when the city shakes a little, that is the former mayor, Mayor Drapeau spinning in his grave at the ****** job the blue collars do on the sidewalks in recent years! Sorry, they do a ****** job at everything for the last few years (they are in a long running dispute with city hall and we pay the price daily). Do you speak any French? Try and they will forgive any mistakes you make. Don't try at all........
devil.gif
Montreal is a great city to live in. Enjoy! Make the very most of it. Pop by Vasco du Gamma and say hello (best coffee downtown).

footprints

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot for the perspectives...married w/ wife and young kids..and je parle un petit peu le francais...

ScruffyLimey

Reaction score
This is the time when a few work shirts in pinpoint, twill or oxford cloths, rather than straight poplin, give you a good foundation.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads