• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving Data from Ancient Hard Drive to External:

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently removed this hard drive from a very old PC that would no longer boot up, and I'd like to try to move the data onto a Seagate external HD I have. I'm no techie -- is that relatively easy to do? Geekgirls would charge me about $135, and I'm not sure it's worth it -- I had most of my data backed up on anyway, but there are some old emails I'd like to retrieve...

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I recently removed this hard drive from a very old PC that would no longer boot up, and I'd like to try to move the data onto a Seagate external HD I have. I'm no techie -- is that relatively easy to do? Geekgirls would charge me about $135, and I'm not sure it's worth it -- I had most of my data backed up on anyway, but there are some old emails I'd like to retrieve...

Replace the drive inside your Seagate external box with this one, connect it to a computer, and copy the files over to that system. This is likely the easiest way to do it.

I assume the reason the PC wouldn't boot was something other than harddrive failure...

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
Replace the drive inside your Seagate external box with this one, connect it to a computer, and copy the files over to that system. This is likely the easiest way to do it. I assume the reason the PC wouldn't boot was something other than harddrive failure...
laugh.gif
Yeah, I'm obviously working on that assumption. Could be wrong, tho... I'm hesitant to monkey around with my new drive, and given that this old drive is about 10 years old, are the connections likely to be compatible? If that's the only solution, I may hand it over to the techbabes, or just cut my losses and chuck the thing.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like an IDE drive. Check your new PC's manual or open it up to see if there is an IDE bus and/or cables already installed that will plug into the slot with all the pins on the left as you look at the pic. You also need a power cable that plugs into the 4 pin slot on the right. If you don't have either of these, check around for someone else who has a computer a few years old or older - most likely it will have the connections you seek. Depending on the type of motherboard, IDE controller, and drive, it may see and recognize the drive right away or you may need to play with the BIOS and (assuming Windoze) Disk Management applet. You should then be able to transfer files onto your external.

Best bet is to find someone who knows computers if this looks like more than you want to bite off.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I'm hesitant to monkey around with my new drive, and given that this old drive is about 10 years old, are the connections likely to be compatible?

The old drive is almost certainly plain old IDE/PATA. The new one is likely the same but it may be SATA. That is the only issue.

If you aren't comfortable disassembling your new drive, you can buy an empty enclosure for $20-$30 to house the old one.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yup, get an external enclosure, and hook it up via USB. It should be pretty much plug in and play.

Currently I'm trying to recover files off the dead imac drive. Got some back(latest draft of my book), lost some (email store from one of my accounts). Now doing another pass and hoping I can get more. Sigh, always remember to back up regularly boys and girls.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Yup, get an external enclosure, and hook it up via USB. It should be pretty much plug in and play. Currently I'm trying to recover files off the dead imac drive. Got some back(latest draft of my book), lost some (email store from one of my accounts). Now doing another pass and hoping I can get more. Sigh, always remember to back up regularly boys and girls.
Sounds like a good simple solution -- let me give that a shot. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads