• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving Button on a 2 Button Jacket

emc894

Reaction score
Something got lost in translation with my tailor and the buttoning point on my newest 2 button suits is now about 1.75-2 inches above my belly button, about 1.5 inches higher than I would like.

Is there any way to change this? I have 4 suits and a jacket like this and it starting to drive me crazy.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately not, since the buttonholes have already been cut.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
not all is lost.
just would be a very expensive.

i have seen buttonholes woven closed.
then recut.
the problem is the lapels are pressed for the other shape.
that might be hard to repress

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Something got lost in translation with my tailor

Clarity of communication is key between tailor and customer. It's not like failing to clearly communicate with, say, your wife or your mistress. That's usually no big deal. But your tailor deserves to know precisely what it is you want him to do for you.

Not much you can do about the existing harm, but learn from your past mistakes. Don't repeat them into the future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads