• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Moving belt down on trench coat - opinion?

wetnose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Banana Rep a month ago and tried their trench coat. I adored like the look of it, but shied away from the price as I know I can get it cheaper on ebay.

So after a while I decided to bid on a classic Burberry's instead. It's worth every cent I paid for it ($110) but I just realized that I could make it appear like the BR coat. I was thinking I can get a tailor to move the belt loops down, closer to the hip ... say 1 or inches below the belly button.

Reason being, is that I'm short (5ft 5 in socks) but slim (32" waist) with a 40" shoulder. When I tie up the Burberry at my waist, it makes me look stocky. I didn't experience the same thing with the BR, which has a leaner cut plus lower belt loops.

What do you guys think - is it a good idea?

Should I also shorten the trench, so that it stops just above my knee?

Albern

Reaction score
Hey Wetnose,

I'm no expert on trench coats but it could sound like a difficult proposition to your tailor if you decide to lower the belt loops. There are other things to consider like horizontal / vertical stitching along the jacket; or, is it very clean with no designs (hope that makes sense)? Also what about overall proportions and pocket displacement? Pictures would help.

In regards to your second question about length; I'm 5'4" and only until recently I was always of the belief that overcoats should also be short in order to not exaggerate your flaws. Just this past winter I did get a coat that was long enough to be just below the knee and I loved it. It looked much slimmer and it had more of a classic look to it which I really enjoyed. I probably would never go any longer than that and would definitely not wear a coat that went all the way down to my ankles.

Hope that helps.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.