• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving away from your family for a new job

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
So here's the situation. I have accepted an offer to take a job with the State of California starting on June 1. This means moving from Phoenix to Sacramento.

My wife is a high school teacher and department chair in Phoenix, tenured with 10-years of experience and a Masters degree in Education. Basically, no matter what happens there is no way she can lose her job in her current district.

Our two boys are 5 and almost 3. The oldest is in kindergarten at a very good public school here.

My wife is looking for teaching jobs in Sacramento, but if she gets one she gives up her seniority and runs the risk of being cut if there are layoffs - and with the current California economic situation that is a possibility.

We own our house in Phoenix and while we could sell it and make some money, the mortgage is only $1100 per month - which my wife can easily pay out of her current salary.

What we've been discussing is that perhaps I should move to California and my wife and kids would come over and spend June and July with me and then go back to Phoenix in August.

Following that I would be in Sacramento and she and the kids would be back in Phoenix.

That gives me time to ensure that I really like the job and that I don't get laid off in 6-mos or so.

Plus, if something does happen to my new job in California, my wife still has her job and we still own a house.

Also because my wife is a teacher, she gets a lot of time off - a week in the fall, Thanksgiving, 2-weeks at Christmas, Spring Break + all the 3-day weekends.

In my position, I get 4 1/2 weeks of vacation + 14 paid holidays.

The way I figure it, if we use our vacations properly - we would still see each other every 3-4 weeks and we could use Skype and the internet to see the boys.

I should say that I'm really excited about my new job and see a lot of potential - but in the current economic climate I think we might be smarter not pulling up our roots and moving everything - just in case.

What do you guys think? Has anyone done anything similar?

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can always visit during the work furloughs, and send IOU's home to help with the bills.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
You can always visit during the work furloughs, and send IOU's home to help with the bills.

Yeah - that's pretty much exactly the scenario I fear, which is why I'm thinking it might be smarter to leave my wife and kids in Phoenix for a while.

Supposedly my department will not be impacted by the furloughs - but the whole furlough/IOU situation is pretty damn scary.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Depends on the following equation:

(Sacramento income + new job opportunity - being home w/ kids - cost of living in Sacramento

is greater than?

Phoenix possible income + opportunity in Phoenix).

or something like that.

You didn't state what your new income is vs. income in Phoenix.

OR you could retire and have the wife pay all the bills.
lol8[1].gif

Also, isn't California close to bankruptcy anyway?

see: http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/583802

What's the job?

jefe

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty decent plan to me. I know the housing/economy situation in Phoenix kind of sucks right now, but Sacramento is worse.

Assuming the position works out, would you be in Sacramento for a long time?

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working for the State of California under the judicial branch, which hasn't been impacted yet either. With all you hear in the media, the administration keeps assuring us that we won't be affected. Each time they say it, though, they sound a little less confident.

mikeber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
I'm currently working for the State of California under the judicial branch, which hasn't been impacted yet either. With all you hear in the media, the administration keeps assuring us that we won't be affected. Each time they say it, though, they sound a little less confident.
If they say it, you may be affected. You were in a better situation if they said nothing.
Originally Posted by Bradford
So here's the situation. I have accepted an offer to take a job with the State of California starting on June 1
Check again in May to see if the job is still there...

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say go for it, but your boys are still really young. Who knows how your absence will affect the babies.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeber
If they say it, you may be affected. You were in a better situation if they said nothing.

You could be right. The question was first brought up because the union had negotiated a raise for us in October, and back then we were still dealing with $4+ gas, so people were getting worried it might not happen. That was during the time that the Governor was talking about dropping everyone's pay to the federal minimum wage. The administration followed through with the raise, though. They only really mention it when people ask if what they saw in the news is going to affect us.

The article up there posted by freefinancialadvice is right in saying that DMV is already closed 2 Fridays a month, effective this month. I didn't find out until a work meeting on Friday, and sure enough, when I had a DMV question at work and tried their back-line, all I got was a recording.

I'm planning on leaving my job in a few months, though, so I'm not too worried about it.

Good luck, though.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with the job you got?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could never do that

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I could never do that

Me neither. I don't see how this is a good idea unless it was a short-term thing and it certainly doesn't seem like it.

I see a **** ton of cons and you didn't really list any pros other than you being excited about the new position.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
Assuming the position works out, would you be in Sacramento for a long time?

Assuming it works, it would be a permanent move, yes.

Originally Posted by mikeber
Check again in May to see if the job is still there...

Yeah, that's why I'm worried about putting our house on the market and pulling up all of our roots. If the job fell through it would suck to have had my wife turn down her contract here for next year and to have possibly sold our house here.

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I would say go for it, but your boys are still really young. Who knows how your absence will affect the babies.

Good question - I figure its better than the military families where the dad gets sent off to Iraq/Afghanistan etc. for a year or more without any opportunity to see their families during that entire time.

Originally Posted by Orsini
What's wrong with the job you got?

If you're referring to me, this would be my first real career-path job since finishing my MBA last May.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...about putting our house on the market...
If you buy a house in California now it will depreciate.
...If you're referring to me, this would be my first real career-path job since finishing my MBA last May.
You can't get a decent job in Arizona? Why screw up your family situation? I almost forgot: absence makes the heart grow fonder -- for someone else...

x26

Reaction score
Dear Bradford,
Please think long and hard about the move. Sounds like your family has a lot to lose.
Best Wishes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads