1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

moving and kids

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thekunk07, Aug 28, 2010.

1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

how to deal? we are looking at houses 10 mins from our current house but different school district. kids are freaking. how do you deal? we/they have some of our best friends are right near by, so this is going to be a hard sell.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Dear kids,

Mommy and Daddy have to move because we can't afford the adjustable rate mortgage on this giant house and need to downsize. I know it'll be tough leaving your good friends and having to make new friends with the poor kids on the other side of town, but ultimately it's a character building exercise and you'll thank me in 20 years. Also, poor teen girls are way easier than rich teen girls.

Love,

Mom and Dad

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^except it's the opposite. will be moving to a town where we will be the white trash by comparison. the listed median income is 225k and i like to work on cars and spit.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Then sorry buddy, I have no advice for you. Maybe buy the kids ice cream and a puppy?

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^the puppy might work.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Parents today. All worried about their kids feelings and shit.

7. ysc

ysc Senior member

Tell them they will still see their friends and they will adjust to the rest. It's true if you are just moving 10 minutes away.
    I moved several times as a kid, and much further than 10 minutes down the road and beyond a couple of weeks it just stopped bothering me. I kept a few close friends from each move, even though they were countries away and I could only see them every couple of years, I am still friends with some of them now, it may seem a big deal to your kids now, but they will get over it fast.

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

wait, why are you moving 10 mins away? seems like you just listed all the reasons not to

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

Much better high school, much larger homes without much increase in taxes

10. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

It's only 10 minutes, they'll adjust easily and quickly. Not like they can't see certain people if they want to. Character building, kids are going to have to toughen up. I grew up moving around, it sucks but you forget about the old school after a month or so.

11. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

we moved in 5th grade. i also changed schools in 5th grade but my best friend changed with me from private school to public so we survived that together. in 6th grade i went to a new school and i was scared but i managed. [​IMG]

12. spb_lady

spb_lady Senior member

it sucks but you forget about the old school after a month or so.

try to explain it to a 10-year old girl now [​IMG]

my parents moved a lot around the city, but i fighted for the right to go to MY SCHOOL, though it took me more then an hour to get there during last years. my younger sister changed school every time we moved... and yes, that sucks.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

how old are yer kids, Kunk?

14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Haha your kids go to public school LOL.

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

1. I did it pretty much every year, kids deal. one move isn't going to kill anybody

2. see what you can do to help keep some of the best friendships going, while encouraging to meet new people and move on. my son has had his best friend move every year for the past 3 years, shit happens.

good luck

16. MrG

MrG Senior member

Perhaps you could spin in as a positive thing? Something like "I know you're going to miss your old school and friends, but we're only going to be a few minutes away from your old friends. Plus, you get the chance to make new friends and go to a new school."

Basically, instead of emphasizing what they're losing, emphasize what they have to gain.

17. otc

otc Senior member

How old are they? I am guessing they are pretty young to have that response with no obvious recourse...

If they were 14 or so and only 10 minutes away, you could try to keep them enrolled in their current district and ferry them to school (or to a bus stop across the border) until they can drive themselves to school...or if it is really short, throw them on a bicycle.

Much younger and (while I never moved after kindergarten) I would think they would be better off hating you for a while until they get used to it.

How will schools work...have your schools started yet (even if not...you probably aren't moving before labor day)? Will they have to switch in the middle of the year? If you don't switch them in the middle of the year, will you have to ferry them to the old district? Then they might want you to keep doing it forever...

18. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Tell them to suck it up or they will grow up to be even bigger pussies than you are kunk.

19. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Tell them they're moving to Armpit, OK and are never coming home again. Then tell them you're all only moving 10 minutes away. Relief settles in.

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Tell them about the additional fun and space they'll have at the new house as well as the additional fun and resources they'll have at the new school. Of course kindly let them know it's not their decision.