• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies that present good fashion?

SomeGuy

Reaction score
In a similar vein to the 'Best dressed list' thread, what movies have you seen that present a decent sense of fashion? This can be a blazers and suits type of thing or, despite the forum this is in, decent streetwear.

My two submissions are:
1. Oceans Eleven (the remake with George Clooney, and mainly because of George Clooney) - I think Clooney looks absolutely amazing in the grey tones he wears. Pitt looks decent too, but I'd never personally wear the type of clothing he does in the movie. If you listen to the commentary on the DVD, the vests that Andy Garcia wears are made from old japanese silk kiminos.

2. (strangely enough) Beverly Hills Cop 1 - I was watching this again last weekend and thought, hey! you know, those are probably some of the best fitting, and well made (by appearance) suits I've seen on TV.

I'm sick, bored, and have an hour till my doctors appointment. Amuse me with your choices (and suggestions).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The Thomas Crown Affair with Pierce Brosnan (Campagna)
Miami Vice (Kiton)
After The Sunset (Salma Hayek
smile.gif
)
Goldeneye (Brioni)
Miller's Crossing
L.A. Confidential

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
The Thomas Crown Affair with Pierce Brosnan (Campagna)
Goldeneye (Brioni)

I have to agree with both of these. The grey suit in Goldeneye is still fantastic 40 years later and I love everything in the Thomoas Crown Affair (though everything looks good if you are Brosnan.

I'm having trouble coming up with titles, but I can think of two:
House of Cards (BBC mini-series, but I'll call it a movie). Pretty much all the characters looked great
Alfie (the remake). Although not traditional, Alfie had great, fun style.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for:

Fight Club
Ocean's Twelve
Thomas Crown Affair, as nominated before
Godfather
Various Bond movies

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
The grey suit in Goldeneye is still fantastic 40 years later ...
Are you from the future? GoldenEye is only 11 years old...
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
my favorite 'stylish' movies:

-Snatch (everyone had their own great style that fit their character perfectly...really liked the post-skinhead gear that Turkish and Tommy wore throughout, as well as Del Toro's 'bespoke' gear)....same could be said for Lock Stock 2 Smoking Barrels since the threads were interchangeable to both films

-Stay (Ewan M. wears Thom Browne throughout but looks very comfortable in it...some nice tweeds and the cardigan w/athletic stripe on sleeve was tops)

-Oceans 11/12 for reasons thoroughly discussed in other threads

-Quadrophenia...duh, 'nuff said.

-LA Confidential...I'm nuts over vintage styles from 40s-60s

-Alfie (remake)...Love Alfie's style/suits...cut very tight and I'm sure many will say too small for J.Law but every scene he looked great, and it was evident he had his own style rather than following 'conventional sartorial rules'

-Small Faces.....great film about "mod gangs" with some really nice outfits. rare flick

-16 Years of Alchohol....similar to "Small Faces" about a former skinhead trying to escape his past. The wardrobe is excellent with a great eye for proper details, like the main characters selvage Levis and his trad skinhead gear (OCBDs, crombie coat, etc)

-The Talented Mr Ripley....this movie's attire is more "mod" than most mod movies. In fact this is one of the most 'mod' movies ever, without ever having to use that word.

...lots of 50s/60s flicks but they have the advantage of being made in an era where men dressed well, and the style du jour looked great.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dial M for Murder

captureeh0.jpg

chiefnavy2mv5.jpg

americanbj7.jpg

chief2sa5.jpg

Oddly enough, the Monty Python TV series gives a great color example of the way the English dressed in the late 60s and early seventies. Since this is one of the last eras of men's style before the fashionistas hit the sartorial beach, it is interesting to view what clothes were like for peoplle before the media age and before the sexual revolution took complete hold.

Darren McGavin in "Law and Order" (1976) which i caught once on late night features a veritable library of the Dress for Success era "handsome combinations"

And then of course there's Zorro, the Gay Blade. Purple like a grape?

No, purple like a plum.

gayblade15bl.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Are you from the future? GoldenEye is only 11 years old...
smile.gif

Maybe he meant goldfinger? I think that was the one with the grey 3-piece in the conduit cut.

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Maybe he meant goldfinger? I think that was the one with the grey 3-piece in the conduit cut.

Yes that is the one. Made in '64 so I guess it still looks good 42 year later.

I officially add Goldfinger to the list. Pretty much all Bond movies should be on this list.

SomeGuy

Reaction score
I see I'm going to have to hire some movies when I'm feeling up to going out again.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer to imagine that CoryB is from the future. Tell me then future boy? Who is the President of the United States in 1985???

Swann

Reaction score
I really like the look of Michael Caine in Get Carter.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that Luthor in the dreadful Superman Returns is one of the best dressed characters ever. (although a couple of his outfits are a little over the top...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads