Movies that present good fashion?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SomeGuy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Yes that is the one. Made in '64 so I guess it still looks good 42 year later. I officially add Goldfinger to the list. Pretty much all Bond movies should be on this list.
    Think about what you're saying... Diamonds Are Forever anyone? I hated that pink tie he wore, not because it was pink, but because it was too much a break from his normal colour choices (or his character, pretty much) and was worn way too high up. Also, the dinner suit with the brocade silk lapels was pretty tasteless. Goldeneye and onward didn't present very good fashion as far as I'm concerned, they just stuck Pierce in Brioni suits (WHY ITALIAN SUITS???) and made little adjustments here and there. They get points for trying in Tomorrow Never Dies with the brief appearance of a three piece though.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

If you read the Brioni fashion book that came out recently...the Brioni outfits in that book from the Bond movies are pretty smart.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Think about what you're saying... Diamonds Are Forever anyone? I hated that pink tie he wore, not because it was pink, but because it was too much a break from his normal colour choices (or his character, pretty much) and was worn way too high up. Also, the dinner suit with the brocade silk lapels was pretty tasteless. Goldeneye and onward didn't present very good fashion as far as I'm concerned, they just stuck Pierce in Brioni suits (WHY ITALIAN SUITS???) and made little adjustments here and there. They get points for trying in Tomorrow Never Dies with the brief appearance of a three piece though.

There was a link to three articles on "Bond style" here recently that suggested that Brioni was chosen because they were one of the few top-tier tailoring firms that could produce the numbers of suits needed for a modern Bond film. Back in the day, only a few were needed, and a single small tailoring house could handle the load. But now they need dozens for all the stunts, etc.

That said, I'm sure Brioni had its own interests in outfitting Bond. But this explanation makes sense to me, even if I much prefer the earlier clothes.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you read the Brioni fashion book that came out recently...the Brioni outfits in that book from the Bond movies are pretty smart.

Almost too smart ... I often think it looks like the clothes are wearing Pierce, instead of the other way 'round.

5. burntsienna

burntsienna Member

I like to add "A Perfect Murder" (1998). It's a mediocre remake of Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder." In the remake, Michael Douglas wears some pretty kickass suits. Below is the only photo of him I could find. [​IMG]

6. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

not good fashion, but I think Harold & Maude was a very beautiful and stylish movie.

also, Match Point.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Royal Tenanbaums
    The Night Porter
    Death in Venice
    The Damned
    Veronika Voss
    8 1/2

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

That has nothing to do with it. They just weren't Bondian. Bond wears English styled suits with two button fastening, breaking with that wasn't a very good choice. Yes, I know why Brioni was chosen. But I think they could have found a more consistent-to-the-movies alternative if they tried... or just stop making so many pointless action sequences (probably the main reason I don't like the Brosnan films as much, though Goldeneye is okay).

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

After thinking for a day, I can only come up with "North by Northwest".

10. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Okay, definitely renting Stay and/or Wall Street tonight. I'll add them to my list if I like the style, though I have a strong feeling Stay will be on here judging by the production photos and stills of Ewan McGregor I've seen.

11. gefinzi

gefinzi Senior member

The Talented Mr. Ripley
    To Catch a Thief
    Remains of the Day
    Silk Stockings (Astaire)
    Royal Wedding (Astaire again)
    North by Northwest
    Roman Holiday

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

The Talented Mr. Ripley

Which happened to be on Canada's Bravo channel this evening. I've always loved that show for its casual clothing...

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Great movie for fine clothing.

Must be numerous films with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. also showing style...

14. pengesq

pengesq Well-Known Member

Two Weeks Notice w/ Hugh Grant playing a billionare real estate developer.

Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins.

15. DGP

DGP Senior member

A couple of comments:

Diamonds are Forever: Agree with what's been said, and would like to add that stupid ass tux shirt with uncovered button front! Blasphemy!

BW in Batman Begins: Great, except he needed to learn how to put a dimple in his tie.

I also like "Luther Sickle" in all the Mission Impossible movies, as well as the streetwear worn by Tom in the last one. I also liked his suit in that movie where Jamie Fox plays a cabbie, but am blanking on the name.

Strange enough, but I thought the scenes in the Spider Man movies involving suits were very good indeed.