1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Movies that present good fashion?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SomeGuy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Member

In a similar vein to the 'Best dressed list' thread, what movies have you seen that present a decent sense of fashion? This can be a blazers and suits type of thing or, despite the forum this is in, decent streetwear.

My two submissions are:
    1. Oceans Eleven (the remake with George Clooney, and mainly because of George Clooney) - I think Clooney looks absolutely amazing in the grey tones he wears. Pitt looks decent too, but I'd never personally wear the type of clothing he does in the movie. If you listen to the commentary on the DVD, the vests that Andy Garcia wears are made from old japanese silk kiminos.

2. (strangely enough) Beverly Hills Cop 1 - I was watching this again last weekend and thought, hey! you know, those are probably some of the best fitting, and well made (by appearance) suits I've seen on TV.

I'm sick, bored, and have an hour till my doctors appointment. Amuse me with your choices (and suggestions).

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

The Thomas Crown Affair with Pierce Brosnan (Campagna)
    Miami Vice (Kiton)
    After The Sunset (Salma Hayek [​IMG])
    Goldeneye (Brioni)
    Miller's Crossing
    L.A. Confidential

3. CoryB

CoryB Senior Member

The Thomas Crown Affair with Pierce Brosnan (Campagna)
    Goldeneye (Brioni)

I have to agree with both of these. The grey suit in Goldeneye is still fantastic 40 years later and I love everything in the Thomoas Crown Affair (though everything looks good if you are Brosnan.

I'm having trouble coming up with titles, but I can think of two:
    House of Cards (BBC mini-series, but I'll call it a movie). Pretty much all the characters looked great
    Alfie (the remake). Although not traditional, Alfie had great, fun style.

4. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

I vote for:

Fight Club
    Ocean's Twelve
    Thomas Crown Affair, as nominated before
    Godfather
    Various Bond movies

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

The grey suit in Goldeneye is still fantastic 40 years later ...
    Are you from the future? GoldenEye is only 11 years old... [​IMG]

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

my favorite 'stylish' movies:

-Snatch (everyone had their own great style that fit their character perfectly...really liked the post-skinhead gear that Turkish and Tommy wore throughout, as well as Del Toro's 'bespoke' gear)....same could be said for Lock Stock 2 Smoking Barrels since the threads were interchangeable to both films

-Stay (Ewan M. wears Thom Browne throughout but looks very comfortable in it...some nice tweeds and the cardigan w/athletic stripe on sleeve was tops)

-Oceans 11/12 for reasons thoroughly discussed in other threads

-Quadrophenia...duh, 'nuff said.

-LA Confidential...I'm nuts over vintage styles from 40s-60s

-Alfie (remake)...Love Alfie's style/suits...cut very tight and I'm sure many will say too small for J.Law but every scene he looked great, and it was evident he had his own style rather than following 'conventional sartorial rules'

-Small Faces.....great film about "mod gangs" with some really nice outfits. rare flick

-16 Years of Alchohol....similar to "Small Faces" about a former skinhead trying to escape his past. The wardrobe is excellent with a great eye for proper details, like the main characters selvage Levis and his trad skinhead gear (OCBDs, crombie coat, etc)

-The Talented Mr Ripley....this movie's attire is more "mod" than most mod movies. In fact this is one of the most 'mod' movies ever, without ever having to use that word.

...lots of 50s/60s flicks but they have the advantage of being made in an era where men dressed well, and the style du jour looked great.

7. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Distinguished Member

Dial M for Murder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, the Monty Python TV series gives a great color example of the way the English dressed in the late 60s and early seventies. Since this is one of the last eras of men's style before the fashionistas hit the sartorial beach, it is interesting to view what clothes were like for peoplle before the media age and before the sexual revolution took complete hold.

Darren McGavin in "Law and Order" (1976) which i caught once on late night features a veritable library of the Dress for Success era "handsome combinations"

And then of course there's Zorro, the Gay Blade. Purple like a grape?

No, purple like a plum.

[​IMG]

8. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

Are you from the future? GoldenEye is only 11 years old... [​IMG]

Maybe he meant goldfinger? I think that was the one with the grey 3-piece in the conduit cut.

9. CoryB

CoryB Senior Member

Maybe he meant goldfinger? I think that was the one with the grey 3-piece in the conduit cut.

Yes that is the one. Made in '64 so I guess it still looks good 42 year later.

I officially add Goldfinger to the list. Pretty much all Bond movies should be on this list.

10. SomeGuy

SomeGuy Member

I see I'm going to have to hire some movies when I'm feeling up to going out again.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I prefer to imagine that CoryB is from the future. Tell me then future boy? Who is the President of the United States in 1985???

12. Swann

Swann Senior Member

I really like the look of Michael Caine in Get Carter.

13. Thurston

Thurston Distinguished Member

in Laws of Attraction.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

forgot one of my faves, Gangster No1

[​IMG]

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think that Luthor in the dreadful Superman Returns is one of the best dressed characters ever. (although a couple of his outfits are a little over the top...)