Movies that blow

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

roger dodger is class aint it? but it did make the mrs feel sick and literally have to leave the room just because of the camera work. incidentally i thought it helped the film, esp. in the bar scenes because it complimented and reinforced roger's furtiveness and constantly roving eyes perfectly.

Adding my voice to this one... my fiancee can't watch movies with handheld camera work for precisely the same reason (she gets sick), and I have no problem with it. Is this a gender thing? Strange.

2. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

shaky-cam is, i agree, rubbish. but it makes more sense in a cinema rather than on a telly, making the film more of an 'experience' (quote above) i suppose. i don't remeber irreversible being all that shaky though, the film that really springs to mind in this respect is the bourne supremacy (paul greengrass), the barrage of movement and rapid cuts completely drowned out any other qualities the film had.

i think it was recently popularised by NYPD blue (i say recently, i mena in the last decade or so). another good example is roger dodger, my girlfriend stopped watching after 15 mins just because of the constantly movign camera, it's like watching it really drunk (a good film though)

Greengrass employed the same style to an even greater effect in Bloody Sunday. It was the only time I actually felt a bit of motion sickness at a movie (luckily, the camera was only really jumpy for a couple of minutes).

I haven't seen Irreversible or I Stand Alone. I can't judge them on their merits, but I've decided I really don't need to see a man get his head bashed in with a fire extinguisher or a man rape his daughter in full, living color. Perhaps there's a point to this level of depravity being put to film (as I said, I can't judge the movies without seeing them), but that doesn't mean I have to watch it.

3. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

Greengrass employed the same style to an even greater effect in Bloody Sunday. It was the only time I actually felt a bit of motion sickness at a movie (luckily, the camera was only really jumpy for a couple of minutes).

I haven't seen Irreversible or I Stand Alone. I can't judge them on their merits, but I've decided I really don't need to see a man get his head bashed in with a fire extinguisher or a man rape his daughter in full, living color. Perhaps there's a point to this level of depravity being put to film (as I said, I can't judge the movies without seeing them), but that doesn't mean I have to watch it.

i agree, sort of, but you don't really have to watch anything. also, yesterdays depraved taboo often evolve into todays light evening entertainment i suppose, not that that means anything really.

i personally am always curious as to depraved stuff. i don't hunt shit like that out (in case the fbi are reading), but for instance, if i stumbled across pink flamingos (is that the right name?-the john waters film in which a fat transvestite actually eats dog poo) i'd probably watch it.

4. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

also, sexual violence, against women in particular, is an important subject that should be openly explored, recognised, and obviously minimised

5. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

Adding my voice to this one... my fiancee can't watch movies with handheld camera work for precisely the same reason (she gets sick), and I have no problem with it. Is this a gender thing? Strange.

hmm, interesting. i've been meaning to trick my mrs into watching this - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432432/ - read the threads at the bottom, i listened to the kermode review, well funny. fancy a race to see who's gf leaves the room first?....or better yet throws up..

6. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

also, sexual violence, against women in particular, is an important subject that should be openly explored, recognised, and obviously minimised

I don't disagree with this. I'm not sure, however, that a 10 minute graphic rape scene isn't a wee bit of overkill. Like I said, I haven't seen the movies, so I can't judge them on their merits.

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I am a bum. What do you want me to do? You want me to write about the sufferings of the upper classes?

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

About the whole shaky-cam thing... my wife had no trouble watching Irreversible but Blair Witch Project gave her some serious nausea. It is odd, probably has to do with the actual jerkiness and the speed.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Freedomland? Is that where I live?

Saw Van Helsing, in fact, dragged a whole bunch of friends to see it. They should have called it Van Don't See This Fucking Movie. I had a long time living that down.

Still doesn't quite touch the goalpost for my two most despised movies... Cool World and Pearl Harbor.

10. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Freedomland? Is that where I live? Saw Van Helsing, in fact, dragged a whole bunch of friends to see it. They should have called it Van Don't See This Fucking Movie. I had a long time living that down. Still doesn't quite touch the goalpost for my two most despised movies... Cool World and Pearl Harbor.
    Pfffffft! You obviously have not seen Air F(a)rce One! Yes, I am holding a grudge against Wolfgang Petersen... Wait a minute; has anyone seen "Alien versus Predator?" BWAHAHAHAH! Oh and I think Dances with Samurai (aka Last Samurai) is an enormous turd. The fact that I had finished reading a few weeks before seeing it a biography on Saigo Takamori, the "inspiration" for Ken Watanabe's character (he did do a good job though) made it even worse for me. I really cringed at the stupid, STUPID comment about the hakama being a dress [​IMG] . Anyway, I mean, the film I felt was insulting to both the Japanese people, history and Takamori himself. Anyway, it did have a redeeming point; Sanada Hiroyuki beating the living daylights out of Tom Cruise with a bokuto! If the film had more of that I may have actually liked it [​IMG] . Talking of Sanada, shanmeless plug: watch "Tasogare Seibei" (Twilight Samurai). One of the best films I have seen in a while.

11. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

Freedomland? Is that where I live?

Saw Van Helsing, in fact, dragged a whole bunch of friends to see it. They should have called it Van Don't See This Fucking Movie. I had a long time living that down.

Still doesn't quite touch the goalpost for my two most despised movies... Cool World and Pearl Harbor.

van helsing had sexy vampire babes wearing sexy chiffon vampire gear, you know - the same sort of stuff that saved bram stokers dracula from being a crime against humanity, so imo not all bad. not as bad as the league of extraodinary wankers - total rubbish.

and surely titanic was worst than pearl necklace? titanic just took itself sooo fucking seriously, i had to remeber bill paxton in weird science just to get me through the drivel on the salvage boat.

cool world was pretty crap though

watch "Tasogare Seibei" (Twilight Samurai). One of the best films I have seen in a while.

has this got beat takashi in? what was the samurai film that came out a bit ago about gay samurai love, sposed to be class. the mrs got me zatoichi for me b'day - good girl.

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I remember hearing about that film you mentioned... don't remember its name. Tasogare Seibei does not have Kitano in it, though. I also did like the new Zatoichi, even if there was no Katsu Shintaro in it [​IMG]

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

van helsing had sexy vampire babes wearing sexy chiffon vampire gear, you know - the same sort of stuff that saved bram stokers dracula from being a crime against humanity, so imo not all bad. not as bad as the league of extraodinary wankers - total rubbish.

and surely titanic was worst than pearl necklace? titanic just took itself sooo fucking seriously, i had to remeber bill paxton in weird science just to get me through the drivel on the salvage boat.

cool world was pretty crap though

has this got beat takashi in? what was the samurai film that came out a bit ago about gay samurai love, sposed to be class. the mrs got me zatoichi for me b'day - good girl.

Taboo (by Nagisa Oshima, who made the far superior In the realm of the senses)

14. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Me and You and Everyone We Know

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

The worst movie I've seen recently is "Elle tire plus, elle flingue" Audiard is probably the best dialogist in french history but as a filmaker, he certainly didn't impress me. A really stupid comedy about slum inhabitants passing tourists through a machine to produce bones and various organs to sell as relics, who're hired by the church to find a man who looks like jesus and embalm him is not my idea of a good time. Especially if it was made in the 70s and the jesus character is a blond hippy on a motorcycle.

Frank Riva (see my avatar), a tv series made with the always egomaniacal Alain Delon is also a real gem of bad taste and Delon worship.