1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Movies that blow

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, Mar 18, 2006.

1. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

I know the original is supposed to be a masterpiece of dialogue and it was shot for a buck forty nine and grossed like eleven bucks and therefore broke records or something, but I basically just thought it sucked.

I actually really liked Clerks, although I wouldn't go so far as to label it as a masterpiece. It's definitely more than a bit self-indulgent and littered with "oh look how clever I am" dialogue. However, there's a scene where Dante and Randall go to a funeral and come running out a few minutes later to jump in their car and speed off. After a beat, Randall says to Dante, "I can't believe you knocked over the coffin." I still laugh when I think about it.

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

So I am watching Black Dahlia now. Crap. Pure crap.

Really liked LA Confidential, so had high hopes for how another Ellroy book would be transferred, but its bad.

Only high point...I am no Scarlett fan generally, and her performance here is erratic at best, but she looks mad hot in full 40s garb.

3. Lamo

Lamo Senior Member

But isn't Mia Kirshner beautiful?[​IMG]

4. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

Really liked LA Confidential, so had high hopes for how another Ellroy book would be transferred, but its bad.

Only high point...I am no Scarlett fan generally, and her performance here is erratic at best, but she looks mad hot in full 40s garb.

Agree that the movie was crap. Agree that Scarlett isn't the next coming of Meryl Streep, but looked amazing in the movie. Was dissapointed that, in an R rated, sexually charged film, neither Scarlett nor Hilary Swank got naked. Mia Kirshner did, but to paraphrase State and Main, I can draw her boobs from memory.

5. Lamo

Lamo Senior Member

Agree that the movie was crap. Agree that Scarlett isn't the next coming of Meryl Streep, but looked amazing in the movie. Was dissapointed that, in an R rated, sexually charged film, neither Scarlett nor Hilary Swank got naked. Mia Kirshner did, but to paraphrase State and Main, I can draw her boobs from memory.

every other episode of the L-Word, which I never watch[​IMG]

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

is the search function broken?

no mention of "brown bunny" in this thread?

7. Lamo

Lamo Senior Member

how very apropos. Deep Throat also comes to mind.

8. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

yeah, i love both those films.

i haven't seen a movie that i didn't like in quite some time. i'm getting pretty good at avoiding them!

9. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Distinguished Member

I was not impressed by Syriana. It had the impact of being punched in the gut by a 1 year old.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Crank sucked, the only redeeming factor of this movie was the fact that my friend invited a freshly-landed-in-the-US Japanese girl to see it with us. Just seeing how she reacted durring the "Sex in Chinatown" Scene made it all worthwhile
    I just saw Crank and I really liked it. There was some seriously hilarious stuff in there. I was really expecting it to suck.

11. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Distinguished Member

Finally decided to break my vow of silence as to the dreadful taste this forum exhibits when it comes to film.

Movies that blow:

Everything you like. [​IMG]

12. j

Heheheh... 'film'.

13. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Distinguished Member

Heheheh... 'film'.

This reminds me of a comment from Tim Hugh in Giant Robot #43 about the differences between people who look at movies and watch films. [​IMG]

It's OK, Style Forum is a nice well-rounded chat for most other things. It's just that when it comes to this I'd rather take a cheese grater to my crotch.

14. j

You're certainly welcome to introduce us troglodytes into the glorious world of 'film' if you feel us worthy. However, I regretfully admit that I am nearly incapable of 'appreciating' some forms of art in the ways that other people might. I do have good aesthetic sense, and have created works that other people find 'meaning' in, which wasn't put there consciously, if you get my point. I also dislike the popular=worthless attitude that I hear/read from 'film aficionados' much like I hated the jazz aficionado attitude around me when I played jazz. I'm sure there are 'aficionados' that can admit when they like a piece of gutter trash that the rest of us like, and not in an ironic way, but they seem pretty rare.

Anyway, I'm sure others on the forum are more on your side than mine. So my suggestion to open a discussion was serious, if you're up to it.

15. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

I just saw Crank and I really liked it. There was some seriously hilarious stuff in there. I was really expecting it to suck.
    If they ever release a Transporter/Transporter 2/Crank boxed set, I'd pick it up instantly.

The bounce off the car right at the end of Crank is what makes it a comedy masterpiece, in my opinion.