1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Movies that blow

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, Mar 18, 2006.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

i have never failed to be disappointed in the movie when i have already read the book. how about you?

I think this is mostly true. However, off the top of my head:

- Jaws was a much better movie than book

- The Godfather was a much, much, much, much, much better movie than the book

- L.A. Confidential wasn't better than the book, but it stands on its own quite well - I feel the same about Mystic River

2. Kopite

Kopite Senior member

I think this is mostly true. However, off the top of my head:

- Jaws was a much better movie than book

- The Godfather was a much, much, much, much, much better movie than the book

- L.A. Confidential wasn't better than the book, but it stands on its own quite well - I feel the same about Mystic River

I think if there is action, movies tend to be better than books.

3. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

i have never failed to be disappointed in the movie when i have already read the book. how about you?

Read worse books.

4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

roger corman owns all of you.

i just went back and read through alot of this thread. no offense to anyone but this forum has some pretty lousy taste in cinema[​IMG] .

There are certainly worse movies than zodiac, but man did that sucker drag during the last 7 hours or so. I can't remember the last time I checked my watch so often during a movie. Had it been a 1-hour made for tv movie, it would have been ok.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Brokeback Mountain and Dreamgirls some of the worst movies I have ever seen.

How so? I didn't think either was great, but both were ok with some solid performances.

6. Kopite

Kopite Senior member

How so? I didn't think either was great, but both were ok with some solid performances.

I suppose it was the theme as it was targeted at women as opposed to men. Although I did enjoy Eddie Murphy's performance in Dreamgirls but other than that
    there was nothing I particularly enjoyed.

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

i thought Dreamgirls was incredibly boring

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

9. Rome

Rome Senior member

i thought Dreamgirls was incredibly boring

Maybe so but the DVD release has 12, count them, 12 extended musical numbers. If that doesn't make the movie more enjoyable then I don't know what will.

10. Kopite

Kopite Senior member

Maybe so but the DVD release has 12, count them, 12 extended musical numbers. If that doesn't make the movie more enjoyable then I don't know what will.

I think if you didn't enjoy the movie to begin with, the special features will do nothing
    for you.

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

the DVD will have options to make it even longer??

damn.

I aged like a year and a half last time I sat through it.

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

the DVD will have options to make it even longer??

damn.

I aged like a year and a half last time I sat through it.

m@t the old fart - extra-aged edition?

[​IMG]

I have not seen Dreamgirls yet; while I think that it is quite possible that Eddie is good in it, the myusic will probably grate on me after while. Not my thing - it would only be worse if it were all show tunes or country music (sorry musical/country lovers).

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

m@t the old fart - extra-aged edition?

[​IMG]

I have not seen Dreamgirls yet; while I think that it is quite possible that Eddie is good in it, the myusic will probably grate on me after while. Not my thing - it would only be worse if it were all show tunes or country music (sorry musical/country lovers).

I thought Eddie Murphy was surprisingly good.
    It's not really my music either, although it generally was well done (Jamie Foxx can't sing). If you're going to end up seeing it on DVD or cable, it's probably even less likely that you'll get a kick out of the music. I saw it in a full theater, and particularly during the numbers featuring the woman from American Idol or whatever, who is a genuinely charismatic performer, the enthusiasm of the audience helped add something to the experience.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I thought Eddie Murphy was surprisingly good.
    It's not really my music either, although it generally was well done (Jamie Foxx can't sing). If you're going to end up seeing it on DVD or cable, it's probably even less likely that you'll get a kick out of the music. I saw it in a full theater, and particularly during the numbers featuring the woman from American Idol or whatever, who is a genuinely charismatic performer, the enthusiasm of the audience helped add something to the experience.

You know, Jamie Foxx is an odd bird to me... I never really liked his singing style or voice even though I used to find the Jamie Foxx Show at least somewhat funny (but the supporting cast IIRC was often more entertaining).
    Anyone have any input on "Ray"? Lawyerdad?

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You know, Jamie Foxx is an odd bird to me... I never really liked his singing style or voice even though I used to find the Jamie Foxx Show at least somewhat funny (but the supporting cast IIRC was often more entertaining).
    Anyone have any input on "Ray"? Lawyerdad?

Never saw "Ray". FWIW, I was disappointed with his performance in "Dreamgirls" after hearing the raves about "Ray". He struck me as fairly wooden and one-dimensional, although it's tough to say how much of that was him and how much was the script, since his character -- he played the Barry Gordy figure -- was not particularly complex.

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

DOA: Dead Or Alive Let me clarify. It does suck, but it is ALSO based on a fighting (and subsequent beach vollyball spinoff ) video game who's main claim to fame is the realistic breast motion physics engine. [​IMG] This movie is like 94% hot blonde chicks in bikinis fighting. Plus Devon Aoki, who is a strange looking, wooden acting, daughter of Benihana's owner in a bikini. But she should make Mat happy, cause he's got pretty questionable standards when it comes to asian women. [​IMG] The script is BS, the fighting is laughable at best, but that really isn't the point. As far as I'm concerned they wasted their time with the whole plot-development (about 3 minutes of wasted time in total) If you want to watch a mindless action movie about girls in bikinis fighting/playing volleyball/and joking about lesbian encounters then this movie is a rousing success. Otherwise, stay far away.

17. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Jesus, Eric Roberts was in it. That should have been your first clue man [​IMG] The weird thing about that movie is that three of the actresses have also appeared on Entourage. That said, I never even heard that they turned DOA: Dead or Alive into a movie. I am pleased by the fact that I didn't hear about this until now.

18. Rome

Rome Senior member

DOA: Dead Or Alive
    I sometime fear that I'll wake up mid afternoon and then Eric Roberts will be in my kitchen looking through the fridge while drinking juice out of the carton and I'll be like "Eric Robs...?!? Why are you, dude thats not even cool. Did you come in through the window? The sign on the front door says NO ERIC ROBERTS."

Regarding Ray, I recommend you watch it when you have a chance. I really enjoyed Foxx's portrayal of the late Mr. Charles. The only gripe is the seemingly supersonic hearing they outfitted Ray with in the movie but outside of that its one of the best bio-pics I've seen.

19. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

DOA: Dead Or Alive Let me clarify. It does suck, but it is ALSO based on a fighting (and subsequent beach vollyball spinoff ) video game who's main claim to fame is the realistic breast motion physics engine. [​IMG] This movie is like 94% hot blonde chicks in bikinis fighting. Plus Devon Aoki, who is a strange looking, wooden acting, daughter of Benihana's owner in a bikini. But she should make Mat happy, cause he's got pretty questionable standards when it comes to asian women. [​IMG] The script is BS, the fighting is laughable at best, but that really isn't the point. As far as I'm concerned they wasted their time with the whole plot-development (about 3 minutes of wasted time in total) If you want to watch a mindless action movie about girls in bikinis fighting/playing volleyball/and joking about lesbian encounters then this movie is a rousing success. Otherwise, stay far away.
    Sliiiim! For a moment I thought you meant the other Dead or Alive. At which point I'd have to call you a Philistine foreign devil and toss the old contents of the birds' cage trays at your face. But I read your post again [​IMG]

20. j

j Senior member Admin

I sometime fear that I'll wake up mid afternoon and then Eric Roberts will be in my kitchen looking through the fridge while drinking juice out of the carton and I'll be like "Eric Robs...?!? Why are you, dude thats not even cool. Did you come in through the window? The sign on the front door says NO ERIC ROBERTS."

He just wants to take your picture...

[​IMG]