Movies that blow

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Matt, Mar 18, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

I liked Bram Stoker's Dracula lots. Gary Oldman was very cool, Keanu Reeves was tolerable I guess. It had blood, action, and boobs, what more could you want.

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Crash--avoid it, despite the win. A movie with "deep statement" pretensions that ultimately falls flat from ham-handed writing and acting and a parade of two-dimensional characters. Almost as bad as Falling Down.

Quoted for truth. Finally saw it this weekend and now I'm retroactively indignant about the Oscar win.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

At least nobody has started talking shit about Citizen Kane yet.

Seriously, I enjoyed Crash (The Cronenburg one too!) It totally reminded me of how shallow and devoid of soul LA is. [​IMG]

Movies I hate are directed by Micheal Bay or Uwe Boll.

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Seriously, I enjoyed Crash (The Cronenburg one too!) It totally reminded me of how shallow and devoid of soul LA is. [​IMG]

Robert Altman did better job of it. Crash seems to concentrate excessively on race.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Robert Altman did better job of it. Crash seems to concentrate excessively on race.
    Robert Altman? Perhaps you are thinking of MASH? Oh... ok, I get what you are saying. It took me a minute though.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Short Cuts. I admit to being a big fan of Raymond Carver, so that may have something to do with it.

7. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

jbz,
    how did you not know that 'sidewalks of new york' was going to suck?

you need a dark sense of humor to appreciate 'natural born killers.' it's a comedy.

tokyo,
    i can't talk shit about 'citizen kane' because i've never been able to sit through more than the first half hour. i'll have to defer to your greater knowledge of that film.

as for the subject of this thread, if anyone is interested in seeing "ask the dust", don't bother. the story is interesting, especially if you are the creative type and live in or want to live in l.a., but slama hayek looks bad in the film, and the whole story revolves around a man's obsession with her. they should have chosen a younger actress. (i'm a big salma fan, but i had to admit the truth.)

8. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

Soul Plane

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

can you tell I have a problem with Oliver Stone?

You are not alone.

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Tomcat and Boat Trip are truly cinematic catastrophes. My eyes can never stay away from the carnage on late night cable.

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

The Aristocrats. Soooooooooo stupid. I have much too sick a sense of humor to find any of that shocking.

I also thought Equilibrium was terrible.

There are a bunch of movies that everyone seems to love, and I'm not able to sit through more than a half hour before I feel myself start to drool. I wouldn't say they "blow", but they just don't do anything for me. Alien is one of those movies. Most horror movies, actually, unless they are funny or otherwise interesting.

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Equilibrium was, indeed, appalling. But I did enjoy a few of the stylistic accidents, and I guess, despite it being a complete pile of shit, it was interesting in the sense that there are places where that movie is considered dangerous.

And it was far too hilarious to make worst movie ever. Same goes for any movie where a cop executes puppies with a pump action sniper rifle at point blank range.

13. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I also thought Equilibrium was terrible.

That's what happens when you mash The Matrix, Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 together. Still, the gunkata stuff was cool. That opening scene when they bust in on the guys was some great stuff.

There are a bunch of movies that everyone seems to love, and I'm not able to sit through more than a half hour before I feel myself start to drool. I wouldn't say they "blow", but they just don't do anything for me. Alien is one of those movies.

God help you sir, God help you!

Anything with Tom Cruise qualifies as a horrible movie.

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Movies I hate are directed by Micheal Bay or Uwe Boll.
    Dear God, I just looked it up, and Boll has six movies coming out in the next couple of years.

I was told they were fixing the loophole that got him all his funding, but I guess not.

The Aristocrats. Soooooooooo stupid. I have much too sick a sense of humor to find any of that shocking.
    I actually quite enjoyed this one. Not because it was particularly shocking or hilarious, but it was interesting to see how one joke has evolved through the history of modern comedy. The fact that the joke isn't shocking anymore is just part & parcel of that.

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Anything with Tom Cruise qualifies as a horrible movie.
    The Last Samurai was really quite good. Collateral was excellent, and after listening to Michael Mann ramble on in the commentary, it's rather obvious that Cruise and Foxx were largely responsible for the movie not sucking. He may kind of nutty and he is definitely insensitive, but he is definitely talented, and just about everyone who knows him says he's a very nice person. I don't understand why it's so popular to hate him just because he built his career on a solid foundation of crap.