• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie wardrobe

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone happens to hear what kind of suits clooney will be wearing in the new movie 'intolerable cruelty,' would you pass it along to me? interested to know.

the last film i thought was done really well after Bond and oceans eleven was some silly movie about richard gere being a doctor....he wore exclusively Brioni.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell the designer(s) from the trailer, but I don't doubt that someone on the board can. Which begs the question - is Clooney this generation's Cary Grant? Is there one? Or are current film stars content to follow fashion trends rather than start them? Slight tangent - anyone watch the Emmys? I caught about ten minutes of the telecast, and drowned in a sea of 3-button black suits with notched satin lapels, tuxedos with silver, gold and burgundy (?) long ties, and the painfully dull black suit, black shirt, black tie combination. The only person to display even a shred of originality was The Sopranos' Joe Pantoliano, in a midnight-blue shawl-lapel tuxedo and double-breasted vest, all by Borrelli, apparently...

davei

Reaction score
The only person to display even a shred of originality was The Sopranos' Joe Pantoliano, in a midnight-blue shawl-lapel tuxedo and double-breasted vest, all by Borrelli, apparently...
Yeah, but he ruined it with that ridiculous hat he always wears.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Which begs the question - is Clooney this generation's Cary Grant? Is there one? Or are current film stars content to follow fashion trends rather than start them?
Clooney gets that label and all the attention due in large part to a dearth of celebrities with any kind of dignified fashion sense. Added to that, he's handsome, has classic tastes and the build that fill out suits perfectly (see discussion on Kofi Annan). He is, however, not the only one. Other well dressed celebrities (in my opinion) include Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Alfred Molina, and Terrence Stamp. Funny, I can't think of anyone under 40...

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Pacino and De Niro always look great, when the part calls for it at least.
I was really speaking to actors that dress well when not in character. I saw Pacino at the reissue of Scarface and he was a mess. Looked like Grizzly Adams and Stevie Nicks had a son.

Bobby D is usually dressed pretty well, I will admit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add another to the list: Andy Garcia. And from secondhand information, he is fairly well-informed, articulate and thoughtful as well. Of the younger set, what about Tom Cruise, who always does casual well, and Brad Pitt, who makes "super-casual" look great. I agree though, that if, say, Sean Connery, himself meriting a "well-dressed" mention, wore a Brad Pitt-esque outfit of faded tee, jean jacket, and Maharishi combats, he would look pretty silly. What about Pierce Brosnan?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on 'intolerable cruelties', i can only add that the costume designer for the movie is mary zophres, who also did some of the other coen brother movies ('fargo' and 'big lebowksi') and recently did the spielberg movie 'catch me if you can'

from what i know about her she does her own work and even did the suits worn by leonardo decaprio in 'catch me if you can' so there may very well be a chance she has done the suits herself for george clooney, but i'm not certain 100%

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
De Niro does at least some of his shopping at the Stefano Ricci store in Beverly Hills.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hollywood actors are dressed by people from the studios, and the studios have contracts with various designers. this is true for almost every single public event, not just award shows. the only time you'll see them in their own clothes is in those tabloid pictures of them at the supermarket or something. this is less true for the "b-list" actors, of course.
wink.gif
btw, i didn't watch the emmys, but if i were invited, i'd wear a simple black tuxedo, white shirt, etc... leave the fashion pages to the carmen electras of the world.

sjimison

Reaction score
is it just me or is George Clooney opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones the sexiest pairing in the last 20 years?

my wife will love it for Clooney, and i will love it for Catherine.

but enough gossip. And YES, Clooney is our generations Carey Grant.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are very few celebs that are even close to exhibiting solid fashion sense. Clooney, Brosnan, Cruise almost always look very stylish yet not trendy- IMO, the perfect look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads