• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Theaters Suck

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Took the kids to see the Hobbit today and we were treated to 40 ******* minutes of commercials and previews.

First it was Coca Cola, then Sprint, then an AMC infomercial, then an IMAX infomercial, then 5 previews, then another AMC infomercial.

Then just when I had had enough and thought the movie was going to start we were treated to a 12 minute long preview of the next Star Trek movie. I know some people like the previews, but 40 minutes there hostage to be advertized to?

Years ago the theater was quiet until showtime, then it was 3 previews and the movie. 10 mins max. Tolerable. Slowly, slowly its been getting worse and today was the apex. Its just better to watch movies at home now.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love catching movie previews at the theater, but agree the commercials suck. Have no desire to see a Pepsi or Coke spot while waiting on my film to start. Same with the spots promoting the very theater you are in.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, watching at home is bad too these days. They try and tack on a bunch of stuff before the Blu-Ray or DVD start and make it a pain to try and skip them.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love all the previews, but the ads are obnoxious. I'd happily sit through 40 minutes of previews, though.

Last edited:

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd find the previews more tolerable if they started them 40 minutes before the scheduled movie start time. That way people that want to watch them can just come early and it doesn't add 40 minutes to an already long movie experience.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually love previews. If the movie looks good, then I'm glad I got to enjoy a little taste of what's to come. If the movie looks bad, then it's a great opportunity to practice my MST3K obnoxiousness (quietly, of course). :)

I don't like the product commercials, but they tend to be pretty short, so it's not so bad.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I usually love previews. If the movie looks good, then I'm glad I got to enjoy a little taste of what's to come. If the movie looks bad, then it's a great opportunity to practice my MST3K obnoxiousness (quietly, of course). :)
I don't like the product commercials, but they tend to be pretty short, so it's not so bad.

I actually love previews too, but the amount and length of time they take is getting annoying.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd find the previews more tolerable if they started them 40 minutes before the scheduled movie start time. That way people that want to watch them can just come early and it doesn't add 40 minutes to an already long movie experience.

This. We're paying money to see a movie, not be advertised to. It should be by choice. Not only that, but when you are a bit early now you have to sit there and see an onslaught of advertisements until the showtime.

I'm cool with 2 or 3 previews and a welcome to AMC 10 second spot. Sometimes you're a few mins late, etc. But come on, I sat there captive for 40 minutes.

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, watching at home is bad too these days. They try and tack on a bunch of stuff before the Blu-Ray or DVD start and make it a pain to try and skip them.

That is the worst. It's ******* criminal in fact. Wait until you have kids and are forced to deal with the same ******* 25 special offers and previews over and over and over andover.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually hesitate to get Blu Ray DVDs because of all the **** before the movie starts and on some its impossible to skip :fu: I have two DVD's to watch this weekend (total recall and premium rush) which I got as regular dvds rather than blu ray to not have to deal with that **** and my oldest giving me his "are we there yet" look.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's one of the reasons I like renting movies over iTunes or Amazon. You may not get all the extras, but you don't have to put up with that crap you can't skip. I'm in the process of settling on one of those two services and may start just buying from them too. Having the film start up with no FBI warning, promotions or previews is a nice experience.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is the worst. It's ******* criminal in fact. Wait until you have kids and are forced to deal with the same ******* 25 special offers and previews over and over and over andover.

I actually hesitate to get Blu Ray DVDs because of all the **** before the movie starts and on some its impossible to skip :fu:

Whoa. Had no idea. I dont do the DVD route so this is news.

Meanwhile I sent AMC a strongly worded letter about their behavior. To their credit, I did get a reply (as long winded as their previews) but of course it didn't admit 40 minutes was too long.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ITT: people who enjoy previews. I am confused.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads