1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Move over, Mr Getty

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Britalian, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

This new museum in Mexico looks a little mind-blowing.

2. Robertito

Robertito Senior member

Can't wait to visit.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Hard to tell on just two small photos.

4. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

Hard to tell on just two small photos.

One of which has a strong resemblance to a distorted bathroom floor.

Hexagon tile overload.

5. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Vomit. This building is a goddamn abortion. It's really one of the shittiest pieces of architecture I've ever seen. From the architect's website:
    If you translate that from bullshit to English it reads, "I wanted to make a really badass, futuristic-looking shape to impress the people that are too stupid to realize how pointless is." Why the fuck would you cover five stories of stacked galleries with an opaque aluminum facade? The galleries don't get natural light that way, so you have to view Rodin under purple lights. Purple lights! The top level has a skylight, but it's still so fucking dark it takes 80 fluorescent light tubes to just read the nameplate. The garage of your average NAPA Auto Parts store has better art-viewing characteristics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What do you think about Calatrava's Milwaukee Museum of Art?

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

It's like a bad, terribly ripped-off version of the Guggenheim (NYC). I agree with StephenHero (for the first and probably only time) that viewing a Rodin under purple lights is un-fucking-acceptable, even if there is a good chance that its not a real Rodin and was made after his death.

8. venessian

venessian Senior member

This new museum in Mexico looks a little mind-blowing.
    I really thought it would be difficult for me to see a museum that I disliked more than the Experience Music Project.

And now, here is one. Absolutely horrendous.

Vomit. This building is a goddamn abortion. It's really one of the shittiest pieces of architecture I've ever seen.
    I agree. I haven't seen it in person, but this building looks like a complete failure on almost every level. Barragan must be rolling over in his grave.

What do you think about Calatrava's Milwaukee Museum of Art?
    There is no comparison between that building and this one. Opinions on the Pavilion may vary, but that building works well, and is a good addition to the adjacent Saarinen building, in my opinion.

This museum looks like a complete abomination on so many levels.

It's like a bad, terribly ripped-off version of the Guggenheim (NYC).
    That's really unfair to the GMNY. The only similarity I see is the word "piece".
    The Guggenheim is a masterpiece; this building is a piece of shit. [​IMG]

9. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

10. venessian

venessian Senior member

nice aquarium

[​IMG]

And nuke-powered at that!

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That's really unfair to the GMNY. The only similarity I see is the word "piece".
    The Guggenheim is a masterpiece; this building is a piece of shit. [​IMG]

LOL. Poor Frank Lloyd Wright...

12. Kent Wang

There is no comparison between that building and this one. Opinions on the Pavilion may vary, but that building works well, and is a good addition to the adjacent Saarinen building, in my opinion.
    I think it's a masterpiece too and Calatrava is my favorite architect, but it seems completely non-functional. All the art is in the Saarinen building, which also has no natural light. With the Soumaya, other than the purple light Rodin, I don't actually see anything wrong with it. There aren't many photos to judge from.

13. venessian

venessian Senior member

I think it's a masterpiece too and Calatrava is my favorite architect, but it seems completely non-functional. All the art is in the Saarinen building, which also has no natural light.
    Non-functional in what way?

I think there is a lot of confusion over the Calatrava building, because people call it the "Milwaukee Art Museum" and it is obviously now the "face"of the museum. However, it was never intended to be the "museum". All the art is still housed in the Saarinen "War Memorial" and the David Kahler addition, because that was the program all along. The Calatrava "Quadracci Pavilion" was intended to give the museum a more public identity and, more importantly, serve as the grand entrance and house primarily public spaces, all of which it does very well.

With the Soumaya, other than the purple light Rodin, I don't actually see anything wrong with it. There aren't many photos to judge from.

There are other photos of the Museo Soumaya, in construction primarily, but some finished, on Google. In context, without having seen it in person, it looks really bad to me. It looks completely lost, has a very strange scale, a very forced form, little or no relationship to its neighbors, and the little (if any) public space around it looks straight out of Brasilia, abysmal....

That little black hole, there at the end of the stair-ramp? Apparently, that's the main entrance....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Kent Wang

I think there is a lot of confusion over the Calatrava building, because people call it the "Milwaukee Art Museum" and it is obviously now the "face"of the museum. However, it was never intended to be the "museum". All the art is still housed in the Saarinen "War Memorial" and the David Kahler addition, because that was the program all along. The Calatrava "Quadracci Pavilion" was intended to give the museum a more public identity and, more importantly, serve as the grand entrance and house primarily public spaces, all of which it does very well.
    I see. It just seems like a huge waste of money to build what is just a big lobby. Really, I think it could qualify as a folly. Looks great, sure.
    There are other photos of the Museo Soumaya, in construction primarily, but some finished, on Google. In context, without having seen it in person, it looks really bad to me. It looks completely lost, has a very strange scale, a very forced form, little or no relationship to its neighbors, and the little (if any) public space around it looks straight out of Brasilia, abysmal....
    Those photos look good to me. I also like what I've seen of Brasilia. I think a lot of what you said could apply to the New York Guggenheim, and I like that a lot as well. I'll tell you what I don't like (and what this museum looks better than), Daniel Libeskind.

15. mink31

mink31 Senior member

Looks like this guy's head (from Robocop):

[​IMG]

16. venessian

venessian Senior member

I see. It just seems like a huge waste of money to build what is just a big lobby. Really, I think it could qualify as a folly. Looks great, sure.
    I really don't know the economics, but it was commissioned/built post-Guggenheim Bilbao/Getty, right on the crest of that wave, and so increased revenue may helped have offset the cost. Before the Pavilion, the MAM wasn't really talked about much; after, it was in all the press for awhile.

Those photos look good to me. I also like what I've seen of Brasilia.

I think a lot of what you said could apply to the New York Guggenheim, and I like that a lot as well.

I'll tell you what I don't like (and what this museum looks better than), Daniel Libeskind.

As I said, I haven't seen the Soumaya in person, so it's hard to have a real opinion, but I remain of the opinion that it just doesn't look good. People hate Brasilia, but that complex actually has some impressive buildings and serves its program well. I find Brasilia much more convincing than the Soumaya and am now sorry I made the comparison.

I think the GMNYC is on a different level entirely; a true masterpiece. The Gwathmey-Siegel addition makes it even stronger, in a way.

Which Libeskind do you mean? The "paper" Libeskind? Some interesting stuff, but lost in a lot of rhetoric.
    The "built" Libeskind? I think he's very uneven (mainly un) in built works. The Jewish Museum in Berlin is a great building (his first built, I think his best); the Denver Art Museum is OK; some smaller projects are interesting; the urban stuff is...just bad.
    The "Freedom Tower" Libeskind? Bad idea to begin with, but really that was just 'Danny give us a cool image and then step out of the damned way while a bunch of NYC hood architects kick your ass'...one can't really blame him for that fiasco.

Libeskind is not in my top 50 (or 100 even) favorite architects, but I'll take at least several of his works over the Soumaya. Interesting comparison you make, though: many of Libeskind's buildings and the Soumaya are essentially rhetorical, unresolved, failed gestures, imo. As such, maybe the Soumaya will be Mexico City's Wexner Center.... both [​IMG].

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Don't get me started on the abomination that is freedom tower. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Kent Wang

I've been to the Jewish Museum in Berlin and thought it was awful. I haven't seen any of his other works in person but all the photos look awful.

A better comparison for the Soumaya would be Gehry's Disney Concert Hall and Guggenheim Bilbao. I like both of those though most of Gehry's other works are worse.

19. venessian

venessian Senior member

I've been to the Jewish Museum in Berlin and thought it was awful. I haven't seen any of his other works in person but all the photos look awful.

A better comparison for the Soumaya would be Gehry's Disney Concert Hall and Guggenheim Bilbao. I like both of those though most of Gehry's other works are worse.

I thought the Jewish Museum was very powerful. I liked it quite a bit.

I don't see the connection to anything Gehry has done, really.

Perhaps to this (Selfridges Building; Birmingham, England; Future Systems Architects).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Kent Wang

That looks pretty cool to me.