Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Movado Watches

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spencermiles, Dec 9, 2004.

1. spencermiles

spencermiles New Member

What do you guys think of Movado watches, specifically the Movado Jr. Sport. I think they are quite classy, yet one of my buddies thinks you need to be in your 40's before you wear one (I'm 22).

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I can remember wanting one when I was in my early 20s... now that I'm in my late 20s  [​IMG] I would never buy one. I'd rather save a little more and get a Hamilton, Baume and Mercier, Concord, Longines, etc. Just my opinion though- if you like it by all means go for it.

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Ugh...

Ugh...

UGH.

Sorry, not a big fan of movado... At least in my hometown, the only people wearing them were gangstas and wannabes... maybe that's why I get a bad vibe from them.

For the price, dunhill aren't terrible watches, you can also look at cheaper B&Ms, and perhaps something secondhand. I much prefer Tag to Movado even though neither is particularly high end.

4. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

I completely agree with the above comments. Movado is to watches as Kenneth Cole is to clothing. Not well made, over marketed, and yet considered upscale outside the two coasts...

5. thelakes

thelakes Active Member

Speaking of entry level watches (cheaper than above brands) what you guys think of Tissot? I was looking at the Le locle as a starter dress watch.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'd go with Seiko, Citizen, or the like for less expensive, high quality watches.

7. spencermiles

spencermiles New Member

Thank you all for your feedback, I very much appreciate it, and I wont be looking to Movado anymore.

What do you think of ESQ? Specifically the ESQ Centurion Chronograph? You can pick one up retail for $325, which is about what i'm looking to spend.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'd stay away from ESQ but that's just my opinion. Again, Timex, Seiko, Citizen, make great watches that are available for nice discounts.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I disagree with some of the above comments.  Movado was my first "nice" watch a couple of years ago when I was in my mid-20s.  I've upgraded since then, but I still like the Museum Classic, particularly the 38 mm automatic version.  In my opinion, Movado is vastly preferable to Tag, the official watch of the American Jackass and the biggest ripoff in all of horology.  (I tend to prefer understated watches, so keep that in mind.)  In your price range, you might want to look at Oris as well.

10. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Try this one, a great style. [​IMG] or, for a bit more conservative [​IMG] But I must agree with the general consensus, ugggh.

11. Alexis

Alexis Senior member

Just a thought...save your money and ask some nice girl for the time.

12. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Now that is a great idea, if they were all as nice as you, then the world would be a better place......damn that sounds distinctly like an old song doesn't it?

13. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

I think that some of the museum collections with the blue face makes for a very distinct, inexpensive, nice looking watch. The blue face will make you stand out from drizzt3117's concern (which, btw, is a very good point).

14. ernest

ernest Senior member

If you like it why do you want to stop looking at this brand?

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

http://www.amazon.com/exec....=548166 I think this Seiko kinda a cool watch that has interesting technology (Kinetic) so it's like an automatic that lets you know what your power reserve is. On sale for $195 shipped for today, not a bad deal.