• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movado Watches

sss

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to add a watch to my accessories which is preferably business casual and was wondering what others thought of this Movado watch I am considering buying.

http://store.brandnameonly.com/mosamewa068.html

It retails at stores for about $1600, I am thinking of buying it from the outlet for half that. I know many people think that mechanical watches are better, but they all seem to be well over $1000. I read a few posts about watches and people talk about how the value of mechanical watches does not depreciate in value compared to a quartz. My question is who is buying watches for under $2000 for investments? Also what type of services costs are their for a mechancial, for a quartz its just the simple battery change.

Can anyone recommend a watch for under $1000 that is mechanical?

Is their a difference between automatic and mechanical watches?

Thanks

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sss
Hello,

I am looking to add a watch to my accessories which is preferably business casual and was wondering what others thought of this Movado watch I am considering buying.

http://store.brandnameonly.com/mosamewa068.html

It retails at stores for about $1600, I am thinking of buying it from the outlet for half that. I know many people think that mechanical watches are better, but they all seem to be well over $1000. I read a few posts about watches and people talk about how the value of mechanical watches does not depreciate in value compared to a quartz. My question is who is buying watches for under $2000 for investments? Also what type of services costs are their for a mechancial, for a quartz its just the simple battery change.

Can anyone recommend a watch for under $1000 that is mechanical?

Is their a difference between automatic and mechanical watches?

Thanks

Hi:

Please don't do that!!!
ffffuuuu.gif

Others will be along shortly with explanations...

Zackb911

Reaction score
That watch is horrid, most Movados are.

Automatic watches are mechanical, but not all mechanical are automatic. Some are manual wind.

Autos should be serviced every 6-10 years or so, varies by the watch and it's not always cheap (roughly $125-$500 depending on the watch). They usually run +/- 6 seconds a day accuracy but are a marvel and often have a very smooth sweep. You're paying for that marvel, a timex costs a fraction and is far more accurate.

Quartz is the "ticking" a battery operated movement with a tiny motor making the tics. Very accurate, super cheap, but not the enthusiast choice.

Sub $1000 I'd look for used Omega, Sinn, or maybe a new higher end Hamilton. Really depends on what your own taste is. Just stay far away from the Movados. Check out watchuseek forums too.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a nice Movado I liked. Simple brown face with a stainless steel case and a brown strap. Almost bought it. The one you posted is quite ugly. If you want to save some bucks - find a clean, classical Seiko.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
This is my first post, but I will jump in here. I would advise you not to buy the Movado. I think you'll regret it. A couple other brands you may want to look at would be Oris and Baume & Mercier. Good luck.

sss

Reaction score
I'll look into a oris. I find a lot of the watches to be the same, that's why I like the uniqueness of this movado with the gunmetal color.

How are breitlings?

Oleg

Reaction score
It will do very nicely if you live in the future, only wear silver jumpsuits and get all of your nutritional needs from a single pill.
sarcasm.gif

Not keen at all, I'm afraid. Have yet to see a Movado I'd actually want to wear.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote against Movado.

Go to watchuseek.com and check out the private sellers. You'll find some good deals on used omegas and brietlings, which i'd recommend over Movado and Sinn. Sinn is decent though.

I'd shy away from quartz if you're looking to purchase a "nice" watch. Quartz isn't beautiful.

saiyar1

Reaction score
There are two types of mechanical watches: automatic and winding ones.

If you really like Movado style, then I encourage you to take your time and really look for a good discount. I'm sure you can find that brand at even less than $800 (half the $1600 you said). As long as you like it, don't let someone else discourage you as far as the looks.

As far as automatics: If you just want to have a watch that uses an antiquated form of timekeeping, that's fine. Maybe you want to collect vintage things. Maybe you just like complicated mechanics for whatever reason. Maybe you want a watch that depreciates as little as possible (collectibility). But if you want a watch that is aesthetic to YOU and uses the most accurate form of timekeeping (quartz), get the Movado. Nothing wrong with it. Just be careful to get the lowest price out there in the world.

What I don't understand is why someone would want a watch that requires such expensive maintenance when it doesn't even keep better time than the much cheaper alternative... seems a bit silly to want it just to see a sweeping second hand. That's the only thing that would make the watch "nicer" or more "beautiful". To each his own though.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Movado Bold watch that I really like, it's very non-SF approved and I'm sure 99% of people here would hate it - it has a black leather strap and an all-black face, which IMO looks better than Movado's signature style, like the one in the link you posted. But, I know next to nothing about luxury watches, so don't take my word for anything. My watch was also less than half the price of the one you posted, I think $1000 is way too much for a Movado.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for your $1500 or so budget, my suggestions are Sinn, Baume & Marcier, or Ebel ...there are models out there for your price point...

gateslion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
There are two types of mechanical watches: automatic and winding ones.

If you really like Movado style, then I encourage you to take your time and really look for a good discount. I'm sure you can find that brand at even less than $800 (half the $1600 you said). As long as you like it, don't let someone else discourage you as far as the looks.

As far as automatics: If you just want to have a watch that uses an antiquated form of timekeeping, that's fine. Maybe you want to collect vintage things. Maybe you just like complicated mechanics for whatever reason. Maybe you want a watch that depreciates as little as possible (collectibility). But if you want a watch that is aesthetic to YOU and uses the most accurate form of timekeeping (quartz), get the Movado. Nothing wrong with it. Just be careful to get the lowest price out there in the world.

What I don't understand is why someone would want a watch that requires such expensive maintenance when it doesn't even keep better time than the much cheaper alternative... seems a bit silly to want it just to see a sweeping second hand. That's the only thing that would make the watch "nicer" or more "beautiful". To each his own though.

I'd have to call it a collectors thing. Personally, I prefer mechanical watches as my casual watches, but that's because with casual wear I actually love a skeletonized face. If I'm wearing jeans, and a casual shirt, I'm probably wearing a Bulova.

For the record though, anther vote against Movado. I just never ever liked the look of them. That's just my personal taste though. I feel like any one is the same as all the others, non of which are spectacular. Movados seem less like timepieces and more like pieces of jewelry that happen to tell the time.

Its all name too. I feel like people buy movados because they want to be "wearing a movado", never bacause they see one and its just a great looking watch on its own.

MadAboutPlaid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1

This is kind of like asking why someone would spend so much money on a suit that is canvassed as opposed to fused when they both cover your body the same way and 99.99% of the population doesn't know the difference.

It's about quality and craftsmanship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads