1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mountain or Road Bike??

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gilwood, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Korben

Korben Senior member

its easier to walk out the door and start a ride, rather than drive or "ride" to the trails.

my choice for a beginner: kona or jamis

+1

2. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

though if you had to have one, cyclocross, NO DOUBT

my choice for a beginner: kona or jamis

I also have to recommed Redline, cyclocross bikes are sort of their thing.

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

I am contemplating a cross as well - I haven't taken my mountain bike on anything more than the occasional dirt road in quite awhile.

Other than simplicity (aka reliability) is there any reason you are leaning towards a single-speed?

That's basically it. And not having to mess with gears around town means you have more brainpower to focus on other things. There's one bitching hill where I live, so that's gonna be a pain everyday, literally.

4. thewallychamp

thewallychamp Senior member

mountain bikes are too hefty.. i lug my bikes up and down stairs so i ride single speed/fixed during the winter and a road or hybrid or fixed in the summer.

i'd love to try out a trials bike though but those babies cost cake. plus i probably couldn't bunny hop a rabbit's ear.

5. DeusExa

DeusExa Active Member

I also have to recommed Redline, cyclocross bikes are sort of their thing.
    +1. My Redline Conquest CX bike has been my commuter/workout bike for the last 2 years. It's a very versatile bike, and IMO what every respectable cyclist should have on their rack.

6. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

I was lucky to have a good variety of bikes in the family when I started biking.

I ended up with a mountain bike, a cyclocross bike, and a road bike. I ride the cyclocross bike for commuting and night riding, and only ride the road bike on the occasional afternoon joyride. The cyclocross bike is much more practical.

A road bike is lighter and easier to climb on. The mountain bike is only better on really hard and steep trails with sandy or muddy terrain (where the suspension and wide tires really shine). Otherwise, the mountain bike is just too heavy and the road bike just isn't light enough. For a single bike, go cyclocross; you won't be disappointed.

7. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Senior member

For a real challenge, why not buy a road bike and go mountain biking with it. It would give you a great workout. And when you're done, you can just fill up the air in the tires and go roading with it too.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Mountain bike because I just love the escape I get on a mountain trail. Had a bad fall recently and I'm on the shelf indefinitely till parts of me are fixed but I don't think I'll stop mountian biking.

9. melwoesblvd

melwoesblvd Senior member

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

For a real challenge, why not buy a road bike and go mountain biking with it. It would give you a great workout. And when you're done, you can just fill up the air in the tires and go roading with it too.
    Sounds dangerous.[​IMG]

11. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

Sounds dangerous.[​IMG]
    +1 I would highly recommend somewhat not do this. I've had problems where my front tire didn't hook up on the trails, and those were 2.35's. I couldn't imagine the issues one would have with 23C tire.

12. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Get a mountain bike. If you're going to be riding around town on it, get some slick tires.

13. henripoincare

henripoincare New Member

totally depends on where you get your motivation and exhilaration from ... if you like riding for the exhaustion, the miles on the road, and as a fitness/health regime, then do the road thing, plus it is more social because you can ride with a pack of like-minded buddies.

but there is also great thrill and fun coming from the technical stuff off-road ... bendy single-trails, muddy conditions, small drops, rocky downhills ... it is less a serious exercise but has a bit more video-game character to it. if that is what keeps you going (it is for me) then get a proper mtb ... and not a single-speeder or fixie either.

cheers.

14. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

I just picked up an old used Trek 820 mtn bike, but will mostly be riding it on wide gravel jogging trails to begin with.

15. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

As an all rounder I have a custom built Dave Yates Wayfarer 26in wheeled tourer with Conti Top Touring tyres and rack mounts front and back. Good for long days on the road and around town as well as lugging loads up hill but not as quick as a narrow tyred lightweight road bike. It has lots of low gears for off road but no suspension.

16. Mute

Mute Senior member

Mostly mountain biker nowadays. Unfortunately, here in L.A. most of the drivers are idiots, and worse of all, many of the road cyclists are even bigger idiots.

17. surfnbank

surfnbank Senior member

I like my mountain bike only because I go on some trails once in awhile and found that the road bike just couldn't handle what I needed it to although it was by far the best on the road. If you are thinking about going off the beaten path at all I would heavily suggest getting a mountain bike or at least a hybrid.