• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Nader393

Reaction score
Then relocated the work to the temporary workbench in my driveway to re-capitate the engine. Fresh gaskets give me a good feeling inside. Hopefully the engine will feel the same way.

IMG_5841.jpg

Nader393

Reaction score
Looks awesome!

Thanks! While the bike was out of commission for engine work, I fabricated both axles and the suspension pivot bolt out of titanium. Hollowing them out was the worst part. Used up a lot of long aircraft drill bits. Ti is a *****. Here's the front axle:

IMG_5333.jpg
IMG_5335.jpg
IMG_5337.jpg
IMG_5341.jpg

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't, but it went like this...

I had about 4 days available to ride from Tennessee to Vermont to visit family. I don't really like quick, straight routes, so I figured I'd follow the MABDR (a route from TN to Upstate NY on a mix of forest service "roads" and the backest of back roads). The people who created this route have created similar routes in other parts of the country as well. I believe they're best known for their Southern California route.

The MABDR passes through a lot of historic Civil War sites. It's probably a lot of fun to take your time and visit these places, but I only had 3 days to finish the 5-6 day ride, so I only saw the roads and gas stations.

My motorcycle is a small displacement dual sport-- a Yamaha WR250R. It's perfect for this kind of travel-- light, nimble, and reliable, but with enough power to get through stretches of highway. I wouldn't have been able to do this ride as quickly or easily on the kinds of bigger ADV bikes I encountered on the ride.

I rode from 8am to 8pm each day. The route goes through a part of the country that was much more remote than I really knew, so I was able to camp wherever I ended my day. My camping set up takes up very little space. It consists of a hammock, a light tarp, and a blanket. After the 5-minute set up, I would sit down each night and stare into the darkness until it was time to sleep. It was exhausting to push my personal speed boundaries for 13 hours each day, and so I slept very well.

I was surprised at how beautiful and grand the mountainous regions of Virginia were. Some areas had the feel of Montana. I had expected to enjoy the curvy mountain trails the most, but I ended up preferring the sections of the route that passed through the small towns. A lot in Amish country, as well.

If you're on the central East Coast, you're likely not far from this route. I'd highly recommend the ride.

Thanks man! I lived in east Tennessee for most of the last 20 years, and very familiar with that part of the country! Would love to do this ride one of these days, and I will see what I can find on it. Sounds like a great way to spend a week or more!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Piobaire

2020 Triumph Rocket 3 R

2020 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
1564641096500.png

New motor: 2458cc triple (164cc larger)
165 hp (+16 hp)
163 ft/lbs torque @ 4000 rpm vs 163 ft/lbs torque @ 2750 rpm (that's seems like a step backwards)
Dry weight: 642 lbs (R), 648 lbs (GT) vs 736 lbs 2019 model
Cornering ABS & traction control
4 rider modes
Cruise control
Hill assist :crazy:
Brembo monoblock brakes
Keyless ignition
Heated grips
Turn by turn nav
Bluetooth integration with gopro cameras
Single sided swingarm (for people who like looking at them)

A much lighter and better handling powercruiser with modern electronics? This is shot across the bow of Ducati's XDiavel, Suzuki's Boulevard M109, Honda's Valkyrie and Harley's Sportglide, Breakout & FXDR. Damn!

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That is ******* gorgeous!

Something might happen where Mrs. Piob actually breaks down and stops denying me a ride. Not going to hold my breath but it's moved out of the impossible category. Never thought this would be a marital sticking point, as I rode when we met up 20-some years ago, but where we live now is notorious for running over motorcyclists so I get it.

Nader393

Reaction score
That Rocket is amazing. You'd think it were an American bike, like a more civilized Boss Hoss. It's also $29K, which is also how much a Harley Livewire costs. It has half the torque, but it's available at zero RPM. Can't believe I'm thinking half-seriously about Harleys. But that's a good thing.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I
Yes it is.

Bam!

Plastic Yamaha indeed.

It’s the twin of my first bike, at least until I stripped and clear coated the valve covers.

Duly Noted

Reaction score
Picked up a few more... after seeing what the resale value of vintage Hondas is in Europe I'm going to pipeline as many as I can of 'em into France and flip them. These three are a 1973 Honda CB175, a 1974 Honda CB450, and a 1967 Honda S90.
66005756_852758355082652_1968338633643524096_n.jpg
69647269_10214108149634887_2617394885983993856_n.jpg
69446900_2138529446444945_5107636135593508864_n.jpg

Last edited:

Duly Noted

Reaction score
I

Bam!

Plastic Yamaha indeed.

It’s the twin of my first bike, at least until I stripped and clear coated the valve covers.

You have good taste, I LOVE this bike. Some argue that it's underpowered, but apart from the flat spot on the acceleration its plenty strong enough for city driving. Ultimately I'd like to also get a CB550, which owners rave about. Honda legend/guru 'Hondaman' swears by the CB450, calling it the best of the bunch.

Duly Noted

Reaction score
Anybody doing the DGR ride in NYC on September 29th? It's a charity ride. All the riders wear classic menswear.
Amy_Shore_London_England_DGR_0131.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads