• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What size are you?

I've got a bunch of gear I'd be willing to unload cheap. Jackets, gloves, armor, helmets. I personally wouldn't buy a used helmet from a stranger...but I have two (a full face bell and an open bell 500) that I would still be using myself if I had a bike. I may still have a new bike in the future, but right now clearing precious space in my apartment is looking better than hoarding gear for a future "maybe"...

edit: nevermind, saw you posted before me and are mostly set. My pants (kevlar lined jeans) were looking sad so I tossed them, but I still have a set of d3o knee armor if you're interested.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rumpelstiltskin thanks! I'm definitely investing in good gear for riding (dress for the crash, not for the ride is my guiding mantra). I got Biltwell gloves (armor around the knuckles), a Biltwell full-face helmet, and rock a waxed cowhide competition weight Vanson perfecto. My boots are currently blundstones but I might change those for some Chippewa engineer boots. What would you recommend for abrasion resistant pants?

You need to consider a jacket with at least elbow and shoulder armour. Besides, fashion jackets rarely make the transition to riding well. Riding jackets normally have longer arms and a longer back. Union Garage has a really nice looking custom Vanson jacket that comes with elbow, shoulder and back protection. At $950 it ain't cheap but it is a looker

union-garage-v7-leather-armored-motorcycle-jacket-vanson-usa-6.jpg

union-garage-v7-leather-armored-motorcycle-jacket-vanson-usa-10.jpg

To be honest I only have 1 pair of safe pants and that is a 1 piece suit and I normally wear fashion jeans. I tried a set of hard knee armour once but found them sweaty and uncomfortable. I think soft ones such as these by Force Field might be more reasonable as well as comfortable.

c159b8b62a0fbb4e17a275fc7b8c534a.jpg

A buddy of mine religiously wears a pair of Fieldsheer mesh overpants and swears by them but I'm just not feeling them.

I have seen Spidi, Alpine Stars & Dainese denim that look pretty good and blends into "regular" life. Jeans with the seamless pockets look better than the ones without IMO but the jeans with external seams allow you to take armour out without taking the pants off.

I saw these and they looked pretty cool

Fuel Serjeant Pants (they have nice looking gloves as well)

IMG_3152_copia_2_1800x1800.jpg
IMG_3195_copia_1800x1800.jpg
Fuel_Pants_Scheme_1800x1800.jpg

11.5 oz waxed cotton or 14.5 oz waxed denim, lined against abrasion, easily removable knee and hip armour. Kinda cool looking but not sure about wearing on an everyday basis. If you like to channel Steve McQueen these pants were made for you

Ugly Bros pants look pretty good too

b2d31b37d66f63433adfa70a8adf700c.jpg

Knoxx has some nice looking pants as well

Dalton

dalton-1708-540x810.jpg

DALTON-MENS-FRONT-950-Edit-1500x844.jpg
dalton-closeupIMG_0573-1500x844.jpg

Last edited:

scamster

Reaction score
lurk on here now and again as i'm thinking of learning to ride. for abrasion resistant jeans with armour how about the saint model 3 they have a whole range of clothing for motorcycle riders. might be worth a look.

3096-smp-blk-c-fl-f_1.jpg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of Saint’s, their all-over stretch jean in indigo. Good lord are they slim (I went two sizes up) but man, are they comfy on my Thruxton. Took em for a weekend spin up the Marin headlands down to Stinson and felt like I was wearing sweats with a 4 second slide time. I almost want to get their new regular fit, but am not terribly keen on a non-stretchy fabric...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The full beard is what makes it work.

Looks funny now. Would look awful clean shaven :(

epb

Reaction score
For a while now my only bike has been by 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T. I've been thinking of a lightweight bike for just running around town, and I really like the new Husqvarna Svartpilen (Black Arrow). Anyone tried it or its sister bike the Vitpilen (White Arrow)?

svartpilen.jpg

Nader393

Reaction score
My KTM "Triangle of Excellence"
IMG_3022.jpg

KTM 525 SMR for the street. (Former AMA Pro Supermoto racebike):
IMG_4591.jpg

Ex-Maria Forsberg KTM 250, winner of Austin X-games endurocross:
IMG_0508.jpg

KTM 560 SMR racebike:
IMG_3152 (1).jpg

Honda CL160/175 vintage racer (15 HP):
IMG_4744.jpg

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a while now my only bike has been by 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T. I've been thinking of a lightweight bike for just running around town, and I really like the new Husqvarna Svartpilen (Black Arrow). Anyone tried it or its sister bike the Vitpilen (White Arrow)?

View attachment 1158236

It's a pretty bike. But a thumper? Wouldn't that get annoying after a while?

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty bike. But a thumper? Wouldn't that get annoying after a while?
If you're not looking to do endless highway miles, thumpers are wonderful. Lightweight, easy to work on, and (slightly) better fuel consumption.

Nader393

Reaction score
If you're not looking to do endless highway miles, thumpers are wonderful. Lightweight, easy to work on, and (slightly) better fuel consumption.

Totally agree. I had bigger, faster bikes I enjoyed for touring and track days, but as my street riding dwindled down to short blasts around town, I discovered the excellence of motard. Now I ride a KTM 525 SMR that was a former professional supermoto racebike converted to street use. 250 lbs, 60 HP, crazy thumper torque, pulls as hard as any 600cc supersport to 50-60 mph. Sooo easy to maneuver (ie pushing around the driveway and parking spots). Tall, comfortable seating, and big suspension, like an SUV. I've dropped it a few times, and you'd never know, because they're built to be crash-proof. I love it! But yes, they hate the highways.

IMG_2101.jpg

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My KTM "Triangle of Excellence"
View attachment 1166523

KTM 525 SMR for the street. (Former AMA Pro Supermoto racebike):
View attachment 1166525

Ex-Maria Forsberg KTM 250, winner of Austin X-games endurocross:
View attachment 1166527

KTM 560 SMR racebike:
View attachment 1166528

Honda CL160/175 vintage racer (15 HP):
View attachment 1166529

I've never ridden a supermoto but they have always looked fun. Making the transition to sticking out the leg and purposely sliding the rear on pavement seems challenging to me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads