• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer Kymco, but whatever floats your boat.
Well, that's exactly why I asked hehe. I'm looking to buy my first motorcycle. My cousin is going to lend me his so I can take a course to learn to drive and see if I like it. So, I've been looking to some bikes and right now there are only two that I like, but I don't really know a lot about bikes.

THe one I really like and I don't know why but I like it is the Indian Scout Bobber.
Indian_Scout_Bobber_(1)_1.jpg

The other one is the Harley Davidson Iron 883.

19-sportster-iron-883-hdi-hero.jpg

I have two cousins that have motorcycles and they love HD. One has a the Iron 883 and the other, to be honest I don't know what model is but it's one of the big ones that has sound system and all that stuff. So, they recommend me to buy a Harley but because they are fans. So, I would like to hear, to what other brands/models I can look for?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that's exactly why I asked hehe. I'm looking to buy my first motorcycle. My cousin is going to lend me his so I can take a course to learn to drive and see if I like it. So, I've been looking to some bikes and right now there are only two that I like, but I don't really know a lot about bikes.

THe one I really like and I don't know why but I like it is the Indian Scout Bobber.
Indian_Scout_Bobber_(1)_1.jpg

The other one is the Harley Davidson Iron 883.

19-sportster-iron-883-hdi-hero.jpg

I have two cousins that have motorcycles and they love HD. One has a the Iron 883 and the other, to be honest I don't know what model is but it's one of the big ones that has sound system and all that stuff. So, they recommend me to buy a Harley but because they are fans. So, I would like to hear, to what other brands/models I can look for?

If the choice was only between those 2 bikes, I'd look for a used 883 w/abs. What kind of riding do you expect to do?

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly I want to use it in the city.

51 hp, 50 ft/lbs of torque and 560 lbs isn't bad. I've only ridden an 883 once and it had a big bore kit so I can't give too much input. @gnatty8 could share a lot more relevant information and opinion

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
51 hp, 50 ft/lbs of torque and 560 lbs isn't bad. I've only ridden an 883 once and it had a big bore kit so I can't give too much input. @gnatty8 could share a lot more relevant information and opinion

I rode an Iron 883 for a couple of years as a "commuting" bike in the city. For that purpose, I loved it. It has enough power and torque to easily accommodate the odd trip on the freeway, where traffic moves fast, and is just a very fun bike to ride in the city. That said, unless there is a reason you want the Iron 883 specifically, I eventually traded my 883 for a 48, and never regretted that decision. The 48 has the larger engine and just better styling in my mind. To reiterate though, you can't go wrong with the 883 if you're primary purpose is commuting around town and you want to save a few thousand from the price of the 48

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rode an Iron 883 for a couple of years as a "commuting" bike in the city. For that purpose, I loved it. It has enough power and torque to easily accommodate the odd trip on the freeway, where traffic moves fast, and is just a very fun bike to ride in the city. That said, unless there is a reason you want the Iron 883 specifically, I eventually traded my 883 for a 48, and never regretted that decision. The 48 has the larger engine and just better styling in my mind. To reiterate though, you can't go wrong with the 883 if you're primary purpose is commuting around town and you want to save a few thousand from the price of the 48
Thanks man! Can you post pics of the 48?

The Indian Scout Bobber, what's your opinion about it?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! Can you post pics of the 48?

The Indian Scout Bobber, what's your opinion about it?

Double the horsepower (100 hp) and 72 ft/lbs of torque isn't the greatest for a beginner rider that's for damn sure

emptym

Reaction score
I bought a BMW F650gsa as a starter bike in 2001 and never found a bike I liked enough to replace it with. Makes a very reliable, safe, and economical commuter. It gets about 55-90 mpg, has abs, fuel injection, and handles like a much smaller bike since the gas tank is under the seat. I've heard the new 650s are not quite as good as the old ones, but there's other options.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is a not so great picture of the 48 I was referring to. I rode it for about 3 years before trading it on another Sportie, the 72, which I liked mainly for the styling:

C3DEF292-8123-4DE0-8BF8-C473D52C3EA5.jpeg

8EB18ADE-CC9B-47CD-9BF0-EB6B2EA7F9F2.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh yeah, have this for the highways. Not a good bike for a beginner obviously, but the Sportie is great for you since it’s something you won’t outgrow any time soon, and is perfect as a city commuting bike..

05588829-B812-4A96-9AAB-DC0A29C378E3.jpeg

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks good @gnatty8 !

I was talking the other day with a friend, he is a big Indian fan, and he was telling me two things or opinions about what I have in mind.
1. I was planning to buy a used bike, since this is the first one, it probable that I may fall a few times, so it wouldn’t hurt me the price of the bike. To which he told me that he would prefer a new one since you have the dealer guarantee.

2. I was considering an 883 or the 1200 from Indian — which we already established it might be too big for a beginner — and he told me that when he bought his first bike, it was a 1200 and that he traded ir two months later for a 1800. He told me to go for the big one since and I quote: after your first ride, you will not want to get down from the bike. Hehe

Thoughts?

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup I agree with your friend, the size of the bike doesn't matter much. I would recommend you get the ABS and traction control rather than worrying about the CCs.

Indians are very good motorcycles. As a matter of fact, I would recommend against a Harley unless you already feel a strong admiration for the brand. If not, they are pretty much the worst bang for the buck that there is. You can get a lot better bike for a lot less money.

Also, why are you only looking at cruisers? I would widen my search into street bikes unless you are not tall enough to reach the ground comfortably during stops. I feel a cruiser may not be the best first bike if you want to really work on your riding skills.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads