• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm headed out for an all-day Intro to Dual-Sport/ADV Riding class. I'm looking forward to learning some skills off-pavement and then taking a ride up into the Sierra Foothills/Gold Country on a guided tour. Hopefully I return with all limbs intact. :D
How did it go? I wouldn't mind taking one of those classes myself. When I went offroad to Prewitt Ridge I dropped the Scrambler twice and I'm positive it was user error :)

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did it go? I wouldn't mind taking one of those classes myself. When I went offroad to Prewitt Ridge I dropped the Scrambler twice and I'm positive it was user error :)
It was great! We went over to the local OHV park for the morning (Prairie City OHV) and practiced low-speed maneuvers while standing on the pegs through cones and over small logs, then did a bunch of loops on the park's obstacle course. In the afternoon we headed out to some back roads in Amador County. I was able to hold my own on the paved roads, but discovered that as soon as I went off-road I had to slow down quite a lot to keep any sort of control. That's the first time I've ridden off-road so hopefully with practice I will be able to improve. I was definitely the slow guy on the dirt. I was on my F800GS and the bike was certainly a lot more capable off-road than I was. :D

KTMMotorrad390

Reaction score
2A05F162-E641-4B0E-9768-8E36FA1501FB.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
rode from Rochester, NY to Phippsburg, Maine last week in one day. It was great and my bike did really well.

Hell of a ride, not just in terms of time - I'll bet the scenery this time of year made it tough to focus on the road!

Neognosis

Reaction score
It was a really nice ride, especially through New Hampshire and Vermont. Took me 15 hours to get there. ON the way back, I broke it up into two days, and it was MUCH more pleasant.

michaellosauro

Reaction score
rode from Rochester, NY to Phippsburg, Maine last week in one day. It was great and my bike did really well.

View attachment 1471653 View attachment 1471654
Love this. Those VT and NH roads are so good. I'm doing an Iron Butt from Albany, NY to St Louis, MO in 2 weeks, then another trip from Albany to NC two weeks later. Not letting winter win just yet.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used tank grips (those adhesive pads with grippy/rubbery surface) on their motorcycles? I don't need them on the GS but when I ride the Scrambler it seems like I slide forward every time I hit the brakes.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used tank grips (those adhesive pads with grippy/rubbery surface) on their motorcycles? I don't need them on the GS but when I ride the Scrambler it seems like I slide forward every time I hit the brakes.
I had them on the Thruxton but took them off. They’re useful if you break hard, but if not...

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got 'em on order--I will give them a try and see how I like them.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop treating your seat with Armor All.:teach:
LOL that's what it feels like. It's probably just because the bike is new (less than 1000mi at this point). I almost feel like I ought to scuff it up with some fine-grit sandpaper.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score

My old Z750 used to do this chronically. The seat surface was too smooth and I replaced it with something more textured.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up the GS from the shop--I took it in for its 45Kmi service. I'm quite a few dollars lighter but the bike is running great. One nice thing, though, is it's not running waaay better than before, so that tells me that the PO took decent care of it. The shop guys told me that everything checked out and they didn't even have to touch/adjust the valves, so that's good. I've put about 3500 miles on it since getting it in early March(?).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads