• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

KamoteJoe

Farmer Diva
Reaction score
EAsBrzX.jpg

Angeles Crest

FPB

Reaction score
Cool monster.

Thanks!

Did you put the power commander on? I'm thinking of getting a slip-on, but I've heard completely mixed opinions on whether a power commander and dyno tune is needed.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took it to a guy who was recommended but because of technical issues (according to him but I think it was more lack of experience with my kind of bike) he wasn't able to tune it. I originally was going to have the Ducati dealership do it but they are so backlogged on work that they stopped accepting new work until they get caught up. That's why I took to the recommended mechanic. So now I'm waiting for the dealership to call me when they are able to do the work. They said they've put a lot of power commanders on bikes like mine so it should be straight forward once they can do it.

From what I understand I don't think a power commander is needed if you only put a slip on on. When it is recommended is when you put on a full system or get rid of the catalytic converter like I did. Those mods change the back pressure among other things and the fuel mixture needs to be re-mapped to match the new set up in order for the bike to run at maximum efficiency.

I had a monster before my multi and I put a slip on on it and it ran as well as before, so no power commander. Putting a new muffler on the bike I don't think really requires adjusting the fuel mixture.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After putting 1500 miles on the Scrambler (a bit past the 500mi first service) I decided I need a luggage rack so I bought one and put it on myself. What a pain, those cheap Torx screws stripped so easily, I ended up destroying two of them; they couldn’t even come out with a hacksaw and two screw removers. I finally realized I didn’t even need to remove said screws, even though the directions said to do so.

I’m over doing stuff myself, so now that I’m bringing it in for its first service, I opted to just have the shop put on a side rack and saddlebag.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I took it to a guy who was recommended but because of technical issues (according to him but I think it was more lack of experience with my kind of bike) he wasn't able to tune it. I originally was going to have the Ducati dealership do it but they are so backlogged on work that they stopped accepting new work until they get caught up. That's why I took to the recommended mechanic. So now I'm waiting for the dealership to call me when they are able to do the work. They said they've put a lot of power commanders on bikes like mine so it should be straight forward once they can do it.

From what I understand I don't think a power commander is needed if you only put a slip on on. When it is recommended is when you put on a full system or get rid of the catalytic converter like I did. Those mods change the back pressure among other things and the fuel mixture needs to be re-mapped to match the new set up in order for the bike to run at maximum efficiency.

I had a monster before my multi and I put a slip on on it and it ran as well as before, so no power commander. Putting a new muffler on the bike I don't think really requires adjusting the fuel mixture.

I'm told that some newer bikes can automatically adjust fuel mixture for a slip on, but all of the older ones I've owned needed to be re-tuned when a slip on was added, else a flat spot would occur.
Also depends how much wider the bore is, and the presence (or lack of) baffles.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@KamoteJoe i rode both and the t120 is tuned really tamely. It’s basically a cruiser. Fine for some people, but I found it to be no fun at all. The Scramber on the other hand has tons of torque, and the 1200 has loads of electronic gadgetry (cruise control, traction control, how much gas/many miles you have left in your tank, etc) that neither the Bonnie nor the Thruxton has. It's a sleeper bike that always gets overlooked but it's better and more practical than either.

I'll let you give her a spin next up you're in San Francisco :)

FPB

Reaction score

Sounds good, thank you. Please post how your bike runs after you get the power commander.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@KamoteJoe i rode both and the t120 is tuned really tamely. It’s basically a cruiser. Fine for some people, but I found it to be no fun at all. The Scramber on the other hand has tons of torque, and the 1200 has loads of electronic gadgetry (cruise control, traction control, how much gas/many miles you have left in your tank, etc) that neither the Bonnie nor the Thruxton has. It's a sleeper bike that always gets overlooked but it's better and more practical than either.

Yeah, my bike basically had none of the gadgetry, but second your thoughts on the ride and feel. I have owned 2 Bonnies, and they were all very able, easy to ride bikes, but the Scrambler was just more fun to ride if that makes sense? My only issue with it was the tires aren't the greatest for longish highway trips, but that's not why one gets a Scrambler anyway I guess? When it comes time to swap out bikes again, I may trade my Sportie on a Scrambler or buy a 2013-2018 model used.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig the Triumph Scrambler. I've currently got a Ducati Scrambler Icon and an F800GS, but I think eventually I will have to get the Triumph. I also love the Bonneville but it's good to know that it's a bit more sedate.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score

Yeah, the Scrambler is basically the Speed Twin in a taller form with offroad wheels. A fun ride indeed.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Went for a ride with a few guys today. I have always been a solo rider, but I have gone with my neighbors a few times now.

A guy in an SUV almost killed me. I was passing him on a county highway with one lane each way (I was third in line to pass him) and as I got to the driver window he comes over the line to go around a bicyclist. If I hadn't been on the outside of the line, I would have been crunched.

I love going on these county highways, but my neighbor likes to go early Sunday morning and it tends to busy with cyclists and there is no room for them (some even insist on riding side by side and take up the lane) which causes traffic to back up particularly with all these giant SUVs and trucks towing massive boats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads