• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I haven't been paying attention lately...but that looks pretty neat.

I'd also look towards the honda 500s, especially if you don't actually need an ADV bike. Before I decided to buy a car, I really wanted a CB 500f. I think @lawyerdad might still have one.

Not too powerful or expensive (especially now that they have been out for a few years and there is a used market), but more refined and adult sized than a lot of the stereotypical beginner bikes which tend to either be tiny sport bikes or small scale cruisers.
I do. Haven't ridden much in the last year because reasons, but as a first bike for a middle-aged dude who mostly does weekend road rides for fun and doesn't use the bike as a regular commuter, I've been pretty happy. I sometimes describe it as the Honda Civic of motorcycles, although I don't mean that quite as disparagingly as it sometimes comes across.
Affordable, easy to ride, fairly sleek and aesthetically pleasing in a low-key way. Not super fast at the top end, but that's not really my thing anyway. Enough power and heft to ride on the freeway when necessary, although it's obviously not the best choice for a long road trip on crowded interstates. I'm about 6'1" with long arms, and I find it to be a comfortable size.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I will go check it out, since I pretty much fit the same profile you do. I would like a dual-sport bike since I'd like to do some light off-roading. Looks like there's a CB500x (instead of f) that fits that description.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade to a CB1100 or a Triumph Speed Twin in 2021.

The Speed Twin is a smashing bike to ride. Not sure that it's worth the hefty price tag in comparison to its competitors, though.

Thanks! I will go check it out, since I pretty much fit the same profile you do. I would like a dual-sport bike since I'd like to do some light off-roading. Looks like there's a CB500x (instead of f) that fits that description.

By light off-roading, how light are you talking? If you're going the dual-sport route, the new Yamaha Tenere T700 is worth a look.

For beginner road bikes, I don't think the MT-07 (or FZ-07 depending on where you live) can be beaten. Bulletproof and very well rounded, with just enough power to get a bit exciting and keep you enamoured with it for longer than the motorcycling honeymoon period takes to wear off.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly just dirt roads and trails. Nothing too technical. I wound up buying the BMW over the weekend--the price was right and I had a couple of experienced rider friends come along and ride it to make sure it was in decent shape and a good fit. I have been riding it every day (just around the local neighborhood streets) for the last few days and so far I really like it. I am taking a motorcycle skills/safety course on the 7-8 of March and then I can get my license.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All licensed now and this afternoon a friend of mine took me over to the local OHV park (Prairie City) and taught me the basics of off-road riding on a motorcycle. I'm pleased to say that 1) I did not die and 2) I had a fantastic time. I stalled lots of times but never dumped the bike and had a lot of fun. I'm totally trashed now--riding like that uses muscles in ways I'm not used to at all.

Good times.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Riding around Houston the other day to break the monotony of being home for 3 weeks. Ain’t complaining, but needed a break from home and there’s hardly any traffic out there which is a rarity in Houston any time of day

908E36D4-A3F1-4581-B5BA-A88061C1E335.jpeg

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my duck inspected and registered yesterday after it being dormant for awhile with the same intention of hitting the hill country but now we have 70% chance of showers for the next seven days. I've got great timing.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
All licensed now and this afternoon a friend of mine took me over to the local OHV park (Prairie City) and taught me the basics of off-road riding on a motorcycle. I'm pleased to say that 1) I did not die and 2) I had a fantastic time. I stalled lots of times but never dumped the bike and had a lot of fun. I'm totally trashed now--riding like that uses muscles in ways I'm not used to at all.

Good times.

I remember pointedly the day after I first rode, spending a couple of hours in the saddle on an old Honda sport tourer. I couldn't move my shoulders!

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember pointedly the day after I first rode, spending a couple of hours in the saddle on an old Honda sport tourer. I couldn't move my shoulders!
I didn't have that problem since it was pounded into my head at rider training and then with my friend who's sort of my riding mentor to keep my shoulders relaxed and my arms relatively loose. My core definitely felt it the next day, though.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I didn't have that problem since it was pounded into my head at rider training and then with my friend who's sort of my riding mentor to keep my shoulders relaxed and my arms relatively loose. My core definitely felt it the next day, though.

You bought the G310, yes? The riding position on that shouldn't give you shoulder tensing troubles. Clip-on handlebars for a new rider are another story.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You bought the G310, yes? The riding position on that shouldn't give you shoulder tensing troubles. Clip-on handlebars for a new rider are another story.
I did. I bought a F800GS a week later. My son is mostly riding the 310 now.

I actually wound up putting handlebar risers on the 310 because I was hunched over when riding standing up offroad. The risers made a huge difference for me on dirt. But you're right that on-road the GS's riding position is pretty upright and easy on the shoulders (as long as I remembered not to tense up, which took some doing!).

Duly Noted

Reaction score
I haven't been paying attention lately...but that looks pretty neat.

I'd also look towards the honda 500s, especially if you don't actually need an ADV bike. Before I decided to buy a car, I really wanted a CB 500f. I think @lawyerdad might still have one.

Not too powerful or expensive (especially now that they have been out for a few years and there is a used market), but more refined and adult sized than a lot of the stereotypical beginner bikes which tend to either be tiny sport bikes or small scale cruisers.
Still want one? Just got a call from a friend about a woman who bought one brand new for her bf... who just broke up with her. Only 17 miles on the clock...

Duly Noted

Reaction score
Update: As of March 6 I’ve been living in France. But none of the motorbikes I bought to start an MC rental business here made it out here, because in February, Trump ordered U.S. Customs not to clear any N.Y-titled vehicles for export.
Ain’t that a *****?

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome dude! You'd have more fun on an adventure bike though, something like a KTM 790 Adventure/BMW 850GS. But kudos for getting out and enjoying your bike.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads