Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. pgd3

pgd3 Senior member

Surely you mean bump start, although mine I use 3rd, 2nd the engine still locks up the tire.

Amazingly I've a number of times had air be the culprit.

Usually its not the filter but a mouse nest or similar that was built inside the filter housing.

Of course my mother calls me this week with a car dead on the side of the road.

I added some fuel to the tank just to make sure that it wasn't that sort of issue, no fire.

Checked spark plug wires and...

[​IMG]

2. poissa

poissa Senior member

For some time now, I've been fantasizing about taking a trip from Wash DC to Montreal to visit a friend. The furthest distance I have traveled in one sitting is ~150 miles from the Maryland 'burbs to Philly and Charlottesville. Should I go for the gusto or plan the next trip to be say ~250 miles and go from there?

3. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

Go. Take a break when you get tired. But there is no reason to approach this with any trepidation. That's still a day trip. I assume this is a modern bike and not an Ironhead Sportster or anything like that.

4. eg1

eg1 Senior member

For some time now, I've been fantasizing about taking a trip from Wash DC to Montreal to visit a friend. The furthest distance I have traveled in one sitting is ~150 miles from the Maryland 'burbs to Philly and Charlottesville. Should I go for the gusto or plan the next trip to be say ~250 miles and go from there?

I found I could comfortably ride about 2 hours at a time before requiring a break (water, food, fuel, walking around).

5. poissa

poissa Senior member

I found I could comfortably ride about 2 hours at a time before requiring a break (water, food, fuel, walking around).

I did not intend to suggest, I would hope to make it 600+ miles without hitting the john, grabbing a cup of coffee, eating, and taking breaks. I'm conerned with my ability to travel 600 miles on bike in one day. It's tough in a car, but with rest, has anyone done anything similar in distance?

6. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I did not intend to suggest, I would hope to make it 600+ miles without hitting the john, grabbing a cup of coffee, eating, and taking breaks. I'm conerned with my ability to travel 600 miles on bike in one day. It's tough in a car, but with rest, has anyone done anything similar in distance?

I rode from PA to Texas a few years ago. I took my time and averaged a little over 300 miles a day.

You can certainly do more, but I traveled more off the highway than on, and stopped frequently to enjoy my ride.

8. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

9. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

I've done a few (3) 750 mile days on my Ducati Sport 1000, which is the *least* comfortable production bike released...possibly ever. It's significantly worse than their 1098/1198 for comfort. The key is stopping when you need to.

However, I also did NY to Montreal last year and I can say that French Canadians were THE WORST drivers I've had to share the road with, and I do most of my riding in NYC.

10. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Sorry -- I thought that would help you understand how many breaks you would need in the day to get that distance.

I've done as much as 1000 km in one day, but I wouldn't recommend it -- that was out west on the really flat stuff without any traffic, so I was really flying. 800km would be a more sensible maximum through relatively urban areas.

I'd recommend something in the 500-600km range if you've never done a ride like this before.

I've done a few (3) 750 mile days on my Ducati Sport 1000, which is the *least* comfortable production bike released...possibly ever. It's significantly worse than their 1098/1198 for comfort. The key is stopping when you need to.

However, I also did NY to Montreal last year and I can say that French Canadians were THE WORST drivers I've had to share the road with, and I do most of my riding in NYC.

Montreal drivers are insane. That is all.

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

New Harley Davidson Blackline. Discuss.

[​IMG]

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Yeah, other than some styling differences, it'd look pretty similar to the SuperGlide or WideGlide, minus the softtail of course.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I thought it was a Lowrider until I read the post.

14. eg1

eg1 Senior member

New Harley Davidson Blackline. Discuss.

[​IMG]

I do not like Harleys. [​IMG]