• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

pgd3

Reaction score
Surely you mean bump start, although mine I use 3rd, 2nd the engine still locks up the tire.

Amazingly I've a number of times had air be the culprit.

Usually its not the filter but a mouse nest or similar that was built inside the filter housing.

Of course my mother calls me this week with a car dead on the side of the road.

I added some fuel to the tank just to make sure that it wasn't that sort of issue, no fire.

Checked spark plug wires and...

29pytyb.jpg

poissa

Reaction score
For some time now, I've been fantasizing about taking a trip from Wash DC to Montreal to visit a friend. The furthest distance I have traveled in one sitting is ~150 miles from the Maryland 'burbs to Philly and Charlottesville. Should I go for the gusto or plan the next trip to be say ~250 miles and go from there?

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Go. Take a break when you get tired. But there is no reason to approach this with any trepidation. That's still a day trip. I assume this is a modern bike and not an Ironhead Sportster or anything like that.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
For some time now, I've been fantasizing about taking a trip from Wash DC to Montreal to visit a friend. The furthest distance I have traveled in one sitting is ~150 miles from the Maryland 'burbs to Philly and Charlottesville. Should I go for the gusto or plan the next trip to be say ~250 miles and go from there?

I found I could comfortably ride about 2 hours at a time before requiring a break (water, food, fuel, walking around).

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I found I could comfortably ride about 2 hours at a time before requiring a break (water, food, fuel, walking around).

I did not intend to suggest, I would hope to make it 600+ miles without hitting the john, grabbing a cup of coffee, eating, and taking breaks. I'm conerned with my ability to travel 600 miles on bike in one day. It's tough in a car, but with rest, has anyone done anything similar in distance?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did not intend to suggest, I would hope to make it 600+ miles without hitting the john, grabbing a cup of coffee, eating, and taking breaks. I'm conerned with my ability to travel 600 miles on bike in one day. It's tough in a car, but with rest, has anyone done anything similar in distance?

I rode from PA to Texas a few years ago. I took my time and averaged a little over 300 miles a day.

You can certainly do more, but I traveled more off the highway than on, and stopped frequently to enjoy my ride.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took me 11-12 hours. I'm sure I didn't follow the shortest route though. The fact that I rode in t-shirt and shorts didn't help, I'm sure. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...43&ie=UTF8&z=9 Also I had no license.
royal_enfield_bullet_350.jpg
Depending on motorcycle, type of roads, weather and clothing it's probably doable, but tiring. Why not split in two?

Kookz

Reaction score

I've done a few (3) 750 mile days on my Ducati Sport 1000, which is the *least* comfortable production bike released...possibly ever. It's significantly worse than their 1098/1198 for comfort. The key is stopping when you need to.

However, I also did NY to Montreal last year and I can say that French Canadians were THE WORST drivers I've had to share the road with, and I do most of my riding in NYC.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry -- I thought that would help you understand how many breaks you would need in the day to get that distance.

I've done as much as 1000 km in one day, but I wouldn't recommend it -- that was out west on the really flat stuff without any traffic, so I was really flying. 800km would be a more sensible maximum through relatively urban areas.

I'd recommend something in the 500-600km range if you've never done a ride like this before.

Originally Posted by Kookz
I've done a few (3) 750 mile days on my Ducati Sport 1000, which is the *least* comfortable production bike released...possibly ever. It's significantly worse than their 1098/1198 for comfort. The key is stopping when you need to.

However, I also did NY to Montreal last year and I can say that French Canadians were THE WORST drivers I've had to share the road with, and I do most of my riding in NYC.

Montreal drivers are insane. That is all.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wondered what was new about it, but then I saw the side reflectors.
teacha.gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, other than some styling differences, it'd look pretty similar to the SuperGlide or WideGlide, minus the softtail of course.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a Lowrider until I read the post.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
New Harley Davidson Blackline. Discuss.

Harley-Davidson-FXS-Blackline-Softail-6.jpg

I do not like Harleys.
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads