1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. pgd3

pgd3 Senior Member

Surely you mean bump start, although mine I use 3rd, 2nd the engine still locks up the tire.

Amazingly I've a number of times had air be the culprit.

Usually its not the filter but a mouse nest or similar that was built inside the filter housing.

Of course my mother calls me this week with a car dead on the side of the road.

I added some fuel to the tank just to make sure that it wasn't that sort of issue, no fire.

Checked spark plug wires and...

[​IMG]

2. poissa

poissa Senior Member

For some time now, I've been fantasizing about taking a trip from Wash DC to Montreal to visit a friend. The furthest distance I have traveled in one sitting is ~150 miles from the Maryland 'burbs to Philly and Charlottesville. Should I go for the gusto or plan the next trip to be say ~250 miles and go from there?

3. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior Member

Go. Take a break when you get tired. But there is no reason to approach this with any trepidation. That's still a day trip. I assume this is a modern bike and not an Ironhead Sportster or anything like that.

4. eg1

eg1 Distinguished Member

For some time now, I've been fantasizing about taking a trip from Wash DC to Montreal to visit a friend. The furthest distance I have traveled in one sitting is ~150 miles from the Maryland 'burbs to Philly and Charlottesville. Should I go for the gusto or plan the next trip to be say ~250 miles and go from there?

I found I could comfortably ride about 2 hours at a time before requiring a break (water, food, fuel, walking around).

5. poissa

poissa Senior Member

I found I could comfortably ride about 2 hours at a time before requiring a break (water, food, fuel, walking around).

I did not intend to suggest, I would hope to make it 600+ miles without hitting the john, grabbing a cup of coffee, eating, and taking breaks. I'm conerned with my ability to travel 600 miles on bike in one day. It's tough in a car, but with rest, has anyone done anything similar in distance?

6. Pilot

Pilot Distinguished Member

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

I did not intend to suggest, I would hope to make it 600+ miles without hitting the john, grabbing a cup of coffee, eating, and taking breaks. I'm conerned with my ability to travel 600 miles on bike in one day. It's tough in a car, but with rest, has anyone done anything similar in distance?

I rode from PA to Texas a few years ago. I took my time and averaged a little over 300 miles a day.

You can certainly do more, but I traveled more off the highway than on, and stopped frequently to enjoy my ride.

8. CDFS

CDFS Distinguished Member

Took me 11-12 hours. I'm sure I didn't follow the shortest route though. The fact that I rode in t-shirt and shorts didn't help, I'm sure. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...43&ie=UTF8&z=9 Also I had no license. [​IMG] Depending on motorcycle, type of roads, weather and clothing it's probably doable, but tiring. Why not split in two?

9. Kookz

Kookz Senior Member

I've done a few (3) 750 mile days on my Ducati Sport 1000, which is the *least* comfortable production bike released...possibly ever. It's significantly worse than their 1098/1198 for comfort. The key is stopping when you need to.

However, I also did NY to Montreal last year and I can say that French Canadians were THE WORST drivers I've had to share the road with, and I do most of my riding in NYC.

10. eg1

eg1 Distinguished Member

Sorry -- I thought that would help you understand how many breaks you would need in the day to get that distance.

I've done as much as 1000 km in one day, but I wouldn't recommend it -- that was out west on the really flat stuff without any traffic, so I was really flying. 800km would be a more sensible maximum through relatively urban areas.

I'd recommend something in the 500-600km range if you've never done a ride like this before.

I've done a few (3) 750 mile days on my Ducati Sport 1000, which is the *least* comfortable production bike released...possibly ever. It's significantly worse than their 1098/1198 for comfort. The key is stopping when you need to.

However, I also did NY to Montreal last year and I can say that French Canadians were THE WORST drivers I've had to share the road with, and I do most of my riding in NYC.

Montreal drivers are insane. That is all.

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

New Harley Davidson Blackline. Discuss.

[​IMG]

12. CDFS

CDFS Distinguished Member

I wondered what was new about it, but then I saw the side reflectors.[​IMG]

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

Yeah, other than some styling differences, it'd look pretty similar to the SuperGlide or WideGlide, minus the softtail of course.

14. Tck13

Tck13 Distinguished Member

I thought it was a Lowrider until I read the post.

15. eg1

eg1 Distinguished Member

New Harley Davidson Blackline. Discuss.

[​IMG]

I do not like Harleys. [​IMG]