• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is the R100 slow? I have an R90/6 and it is not what I would call slow exactly, or ugly for that matter, but in a modern bike I would expect a lot more power. I always thought the R100 was a fair bit more powerful than the R90 but never really looked into it. Mainly it has 2 front brakes and the S fairing without paying the R90S price.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
That's the thing though - the V7 isn't a modern bike. It's just a V50 Monza with fuel injection. It has basically no technology that didn't exist on a Guzzi(!) in 1979. It's as if BMW was still making airheads.

A R100S might knock a half second off an R90/6 in the quarter. In real world use, they are identically fast. A 77 R100RS with the big valve head would be a bit faster, but none are exactly Hayabusa-like.

I think if you rode it, you'd find the 50hp of the V7 more than adequate. It's quite torquey as befits a 750cc twin. It didn't leave me wanting more, despite a Lon history of liter bikes.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can get behind that, just not for me (obviously, as I have an authentic old bike and a fake-old Ducati Sport 1000 with more modern technology). For a commuting, around town type of bike, assuming the suspension and brakes are up to snuff, it seems like a decent choice.

If BMW had reissued the airhead R100S with somewhat updated, yet still simple technology, I probably would have bought that instead of the Ducati. I like being able to work on my own bike and know that everything is right. Luckily I feel very confident in the techs at Ducati Seattle, they really seem to know their stuff. They are the main reason I felt okay about buying that bike.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took her out yesterday for the first time this year....
100_07601.jpg
pipes....
DXPics001.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
How many is this now, Gnatty?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How many is this now, Gnatty?

Four..
ffffuuuu.gif

Thinking about selling the Bonnie though, just not riding it as much as I should..

sonomadrifter

Reaction score
Two weeks ago:

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/mnkymits/******/adfasd.jpg

Making some progress:

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/mnkymits/******/sdfaf.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ looks good, was that a faring in the before picture? What seat are you putting on there?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
For your viewing pleasure. 2011 Fatboy Lo.

P3160110.jpg
P3150090.jpg

P3160099.jpg

The Fatboy was the first bike I ever fell in love with. Haven't noticed it in many years but that's a really nice one.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
The Fatboy was the first bike I ever fell in love with. Haven't noticed it in many years but that's a really nice one.

Thanks man. I think they did a really good job with the "Dark Custom" line of Fatboys, giving them a bit of an edgier look than the classic FBs, while still retaining the great lines and classic look. It's a great bike to ride, much nimbler than it's appearance would suggest.

sonomadrifter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
^ looks good, was that a faring in the before picture? What seat are you putting on there?

It had a "windjammer ss" on it. While functional, it was the ugliest thing I had ever seen.

It will end up with a benji seat and tank, but for time being its going to run a shaved stock seat to get around on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads