Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

No, I still have not gotten another bike. Victory is on my mind. I'm thinking of the Hammer S.

[​IMG]

That was one of the Victory that caught my eye, that and the Vegas something or other.. Do it. IIRC, you live in Arizona, which sheer perfection for motorcycling.. Plenty of relatively lightly traveled, but possessed of majestic scenery state highways..

2. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

No, I still have not gotten another bike. Victory is on my mind. I'm thinking of the Hammer S.

[​IMG]

If you have any questions on the Vics, let me know. My dad owns one of the top Victory dealerships in the nation, and I know way too much about all of them.

3. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

I just finished up my second cross country trip of the year on my new bike. Earlier in the year (and in this thread) I had posted about buying my Ducati Sport 1000 in CA and riding it back to the east coast, and in September I bought a BMW R1200GS, also in CA, and rode that to the east coast last week. I accidentally won it on ebay (I didn't think it'd go for the price I bid) in early September, and finally got out to pick it up October 5th. The owner's daughter met me at the Fresno airport and I got it all loaded up. The plan was to make it to Chicago by October 9th, fly to Hawaii until the 18th, and then continue on. At the airport ready to roll. [​IMG] Hopping on wifi at McDonalds to insure the bike. [​IMG] First little adventure in the sand, Mojave Desert. [​IMG] It's not exactly a light bike, loose sand is not it's forte. [​IMG] Uh oh. [​IMG]

4. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

Had to push it over to get some sand under the tires and eventually get it out. It was certainly not easy. [​IMG] I stuffed some brush under the wheel and was finally able to ride it out. [​IMG] Stopped in Utah for some warmer clothes [​IMG] Stopped in a little corner of Zion National Park called Kolob Canyon [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Almost ran it dry between gas stations... [​IMG] And had the left fairing fly open at 95mph and smack me in the knee, that was fun. [​IMG] And my only companion... [​IMG] All in all it was a pretty rough trip without a lot of things to snap pictures of. I slept in Vegas, Rifle CO, Nebraska and Chicago, then after Hawaii stopped in Pittsburgh, DC, and Baltimore before finally getting back to NY on the 22nd. The bike is now packed into the garage with 7 others that share a parking space in Brooklyn, and I probably won't get to take it out again until February or so.

5. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

looks like a first class luxury compared to your first adventure on the Duc!

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Fuck dude, you're living the dream....

7. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

looks like a first class luxury compared to your first adventure on the Duc!

That's for damn sure! Although I did better mileage on the Ducati, I did 2200 miles in 3.5 days on the BMW but did 1500 in 2 days on the Duc. I did them in much greater comfort on the BMW though.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Great pictures Kookz.. Your first cross country trip made me envious, your second had me thinking: [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing those..

9. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

Great pictures Kookz.. Your first cross country trip made me envious, your second had me thinking: [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing those..

Thanks for the compliment, though it's rather undeserved. Just crappy iPhone pics, but I've got my eye on an S95 or its equivalent before doing any serious travel next year. I've got my sights set on a few different goals, though what gets done remains to be seen.

There were a few miserable spots though. 2 hours of rain in Utah at around 50 degrees and 10pm was no fun and had terrible visibility, and an hour of rain at 10pm while in the 40s coming into Pittsburgh was rather unpleasant as well.

I forgot to mention that I went down in Chicago as I was leaving for Pittsburgh, not 500 feet out of the parking garage I had left my bike in while in Hawaii. The asphalt in the development wasn't ordinary, but rather some very very slick stuff.

Here's the length of the slide. This was from maybe 25 mph.
    [​IMG]

That wasn't all though. It then bounced off the curb and slid another 8 feet or so.
    [​IMG]

To give an idea of how slick it was, I had nothing but the tiniest discoloration on a pair of lightweight (13.5oz) raw denim that was new and unwashed, and I slid myself for a good 20 feet or so. Normally asphalt tears jeans up, but this stuff was like glass. I was totally unhurt, and didn't even remove my helmet before picking the bike up and continuing to Pittsburgh.

10. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

Just bought a G650X Challenge! Can't wait to rip around on this thing. [​IMG]

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I desperately want to get my motorbike license, but as a student I don't have the cash for a £799 direct access course and then £2,000 for a bike!

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Just bought a G650X Challenge! Can't wait to rip around on this thing.

Damn kookz, you're gonna need a roulette wheel in your garage to help you decide which one to ride..

Went on a sweet 2 hour ride today on backroads. Sun was shining, about 65 degrees. Won't be many of these left..

[​IMG]

13. hankwx

hankwx Senior member