Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. whallyden

whallyden Senior member

Thoughts on Ducati Monsters?

I know, I'm going above my earlier-imposed sub-500cc limit but a man can dream, can't he?

I have an '05 (pre-bizarre styling). Its fun, but not all that practical for anything other than peacocking given the lack of fairing and rather stiff seat. That said, I find the relatively upright riding position to be nice mix of comfort and sport. The soundtrack from any Duc is worth the price of admission alone...

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Oh shit - i'll need to go check that out. I like the look of those Enfields.

I read a review on these bikes today in Ultimate Motorcycling (June/July 2010). They look really cool, but from the review, seem like they can be surprisingly persnickedy for a modern bike. However, I have to say, this is one very cool looking motorcycle and at 415 lbs or so, and 28 bhp, probably a very good bike for someone new to riding. Beware though, you will probably grow out of it really quickly if you do any non-urban riding.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Oh shit - i'll need to go check that out. I like the look of those Enfields.

Stop being threatened. [​IMG]

Gnatty, you really groove the cruise/muscle bike look it seems.

well, not sure about the muscle bike, as one of my bikes is a Triumph T100 Bonneville, which, at 865 cc, is not terribly threatening.. I do tend to like retro looking bikes with a bit of edge to them. My next bike, which I plan on buying in the next month or so, is this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

^ Nice. What year and size is that Sportster? Is it modded or can you buy it like that? And how many bikes do you intend to own?

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

^ Nice. What year and size is that Sportster? Is it modded or can you buy it like that? And how many bikes do you intend to own?

This is the 48, introduced in 2010, and it's got the standard Sportster 1200 cc engine. Those pictures above are close to stock.

At this point, I have not totally decided how many bikes I intend to own. I am a notorious collector..

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I read a review on these bikes today in Ultimate Motorcycling (June/July 2010). They look really cool, but from the review, seem like they can be surprisingly persnickedy for a modern bike. However, I have to say, this is one very cool looking motorcycle and at 415 lbs or so, and 28 bhp, probably a very good bike for someone new to riding. Beware though, you will probably grow out of it really quickly if you do any non-urban riding.

Thanks for the heads up! Would you mind expanding on your last point re: outgrowing the bike?

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Ok, so back in the day I used to be in love with Enfield for its styling....

Lucky me, I learned on other bikes and realized that any kind of a reasonable bike in NA/Europe would have to be capable of sustaining freeway speeds, which enfield is not... So too bad for that idea..

Seriously though, if you actually want to ride for more than just around the block you need something capable of 90mph+ top speed... Sure you can say "Well, this can go 80, so i can go 70mph on the freeway and be ok", but get back to me when you try to pass a truck at 60-70mph. It's just not safe.

So until they start making 50hp enfields... too bad.

Now a modern classic triumph like a bonnie... That's a whole another story.

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Thanks for the heads up! Would you mind expanding on your last point re: outgrowing the bike?

As you get to a point where you are more comfortable with your riding skills, where you want to start taking your bike on longer rides, outside of the city, you might want a motorcycle that offers a little more get up and go. The Enfield seems like it is a reasonably efficient, and very stylish utilitarian motorcycle, but there is a slight risk that if you end up really enjoying riding a bike, and wanting to do more with it, that you'll be trading up fairly quickly. Then again, nothing wrong with that if you don't mind taking the hit on depreciation in year one. Again, cool bike, and I bet it generates a ton of looks, compared to the Honda and Suzuki bikes we were recommending earlier. Probably more cash though. Good luck.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Ok, so back in the day I used to be in love with Enfield for its styling....

Lucky me, I learned on other bikes and realized that any kind of a reasonable bike in NA/Europe would have to be capable of sustaining freeway speeds, which enfield is not... So too bad for that idea..

Seriously though, if you actually want to ride for more than just around the block you need something capable of 90mph+ top speed... Sure you can say "Well, this can go 80, so i can go 70mph on the freeway and be ok", but get back to me when you try to pass a truck at 60-70mph. It's just not safe.

So until they start making 50hp enfields... too bad.

Now a modern classic triumph like a bonnie... That's a whole another story.

Agree with this. Excellent bike for someone just starting out, given its agility and nimbleness. You probably wouldn't need to worry about outgrowing it either. The stock Bonneville (not the SE or T100, but plain old Bonneville) starts around $7,750 to $8,000 and has a great look to it also:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a little more $, here's the T100:

[​IMG]

And here's mine.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Agree with this. Excellent bike for someone just starting out, given its agility and nimbleness. You probably wouldn't need to worry about outgrowing it either. The stock Bonneville (not the SE or T100, but plain old Bonneville) starts around $7,750 to $8,000 and has a great look to it also:

[​IMG]

I love the styling on this. Thanks again for all the info. I can definitely see myself doing out of town riding. I went to Niagara Falls this weekend and there seemed to be so many miles of amazing back roads where one could ride.

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

^^ I actually prefer blacked out plain version as well. My current bike is all blacked out as well...

12. ken

ken Banned by Request

Brad Pitt's bike....anyone recognize the make/model or is it custom???

Brad Pitt is always seen on different custom bikes and braking down on most of them.
    Here's a story:http://www.helmethairblog.com/entrie...ustom-chopper/

And some TMZ camera guy gave him a lift after braking down on a different bike. "Always happens on choppers," he said. Maybe if you can't tell a push rod from a cam.

Anyways, here's mine. I haven't broke down in 72 hours, at least.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ken

ken Banned by Request

14. LucasCLarson

LucasCLarson Senior member

Anyways, here's mine. I haven't broke down in 72 hours, at least.

Bike looks awesome, man!

And there is so much Triumph love around here it's making me insane! I need to get one ASAP.

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Your carburetors are not carburetors.

[​IMG]