1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Which ones are the street bikes? Hehe I’m new to this, so I don’t have a lot of knowledge.

2. cross22

cross22 Distinguished Member

Like a Triumph Street Twin, Yamaha MT-07, Kawasaki Z650, Honda CB650, etc.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

I'm thinking if he was drawn to the look of the HD and Indian bikes, a street bike is not going to scratch the itch..

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

Well it's all about how you ride and having a safe place to learn to handle a bigger bike. I thought your primary purpose for a bike was city commuting. If that is so, I would recommend just going with the Sportie, either 883 or 1200, but look for one that's 2 or 3 years old, under 5,000 miles and that doesn't require much after market modifying to suit what you like aesthetically..

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Thanks @cross22 and @gnatty8

I was looking at the Triump Street Twin and certainly looks good. I mean, another option could be to buy something like that for daily/city traffic and then a bigger one for weekends.

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Stick with a used smaller bike and learn to actually ride the thing. And by learning to ride I don't mean not stalling it, shifting gears and grabbing a handful of brakes

7. Rumpelstiltskin

So another buddy of mine is thinking about getting another bike so of course he consulted me because I'm really good at helping people spend their money . He's a bigger dude (about 6' 3" 260 lbs) so he's not interested in something too tiny and he is has ridden for years. His last bike was a gixxer 1000 and he likes power.

After some thought I came up with this:

suzuki-b-king-qk6j1026.jpg

2008 Suzuki B-King. 1,340 cc engine taken from the 2nd gen Hayabusa which makes about 180 hp and 108 ft/lbs of asphalt shredding torque. It has polarizing looks, you either love or hate it. There is no middle ground. It was only brought to the US for a single year and didn't sell well so there aren't too many of them on the road

He loved it and started perusing cycletrader while we were still on the phone. Another satisfied customer

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019

8. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I gotta say I am pretty ambivalent about that.

I don't love it, but I definitely don't hate it either.

9. ShoeWho

ShoeWho Senior Member

It's absurd to be considering a bike of that power for a new rider. Completely mad.

10. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

11. ShoeWho

ShoeWho Senior Member

In case Betelgeuse gets any ideas...

12. KamoteJoe

KamoteJoe Farmer Diva

Hey all, been active on the streetwear side of this site for a while but just recently got into motorcycles. I'd been doing alot of research on what kind of bike I'd like and the viability of buying an older Honda which is very much what I set my heart on. I passed the MSC this weekend and immediately got what I was looking for while doing my research: the Honda CB450 "Nighthawk" from 1985. I'm incredibly pleased with its torque and the 450cc engine is not intimidating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. John Doe

John Doe Distinguished Member

Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 7.31.38 PM.png Nice bike, congratulations! One of the first things you should do is install one of these horns on your bike. You'll soon find out about all the drivers out there with their heads up their asses who will casually run you off the road, cut in front of you, turn left in front of you from oncoming traffic; the leading cause of motorcycle accidents;
    and basically try and kill you. Your bikes factory horn is about as loud as a flea fart and will not be heard. Any bike I've had I put one of these horns on and it has saved my hide on many occasions. When I blast someone with it they act like an eighteen wheeler is about to slam into them. I've seen drivers physically tense up and get out of my way when they hear it, it is very loud. Heed my words from someone with many years riding bikes. It
    will save you from many potential disasters. I've seen them sold at Harbour Freight, Walmart, and auto parts stores as well as Amazon.

14. Rumpelstiltskin

Congratulations!!!

How do you envision the style of your riding gear style? Word of warning: The price of your gear will quickly exceed the price of that bike. What kind of helmet did you get? Have you picked up a jacket yet? Fashion leather won't cut it. Gloves are super important as well. Used jackets are fine but used helmets are not. Used boots are safe to buy too but [​IMG] good luck with that.

15. KamoteJoe

KamoteJoe Farmer Diva

@Rumpelstiltskin thanks! I'm definitely investing in good gear for riding (dress for the crash, not for the ride is my guiding mantra). I got Biltwell gloves (armor around the knuckles), a Biltwell full-face helmet, and rock a waxed cowhide competition weight Vanson perfecto. My boots are currently blundstones but I might change those for some Chippewa engineer boots. What would you recommend for abrasion resistant pants?