• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know the best filling material to make quilted parks / supported paddings for motorcycle jackets, to reduce shock and etc. ?

Any input will help out a lot ;)
Are you asking about armour? I'm a bit confused by your post.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Are you asking about armour? I'm a bit confused by your post.
"Padding" is probably closer than armour. Pretty sure he means like this:

arrow_men_quilted_lambskin_leather_moto_jacket_-_989792.png

s-l300.jpg

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Quote:

I'm in South Florida now and no one wears a any protective gear. When they ride by I cringe for them. The only thing saving them is that all the roads are straight so the only skill needed down here is getting a bike rolling from 1st. If we could enact a law that allows you to ride without gear but it voids your health insurance, I would love that.
Isn't that kind of how the helmet law works in some states? Last time I was in Florida I was told that the helmet law had been repealed because there were too many uninsured people in hospital for years, requiring endless skin grafts, because they'd crashed wearing a helmet and a vest. So now you can ride without a helmet if you carry proof of insurance. That's what i was told, but the typical biker in the US is so poorly-informed that you never know whether to believe anything they say!

ShoeWho

Reaction score
What kind of jackets are you guys riding in?

I'm taking the MSF in about a month or so and have been kind of passively looking around at gear.

What are some of the things I should look for in order to judge the quality of a riding jacket?
In Europe the better stuff has a CE tag to show it meets some very basic safety standards. Maybe your gear has a Snell tag or something?

I could give you a long detailed answer about accidents and bike clothing but I'm not sure what the level of interest is in this topic. Most people are content to be blissfully ignorant until they're in a morgue or a wheelchair! After all, this is a fashion forum. All people care about is the pose value of the bike. If they have a couple of grand to spend on accessories it always goes on an Akrapovic pipe, not on preserving a full set of limbs.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
In Europe the better stuff has a CE tag to show it meets some very basic safety standards. Maybe your gear has a Snell tag or something?

I could give you a long detailed answer about accidents and bike clothing but I'm not sure what the level of interest is in this topic. Most people are content to be blissfully ignorant until they're in a morgue or a wheelchair! After all, this is a fashion forum. All people care about is the pose value of the bike. If they have a couple of grand to spend on accessories it always goes on an Akrapovic pipe, not on preserving a full set of limbs.
Projecting generalized straw man opinions onto everyone else is an interesting posting strategy. I wonder why nobody's thought of that approach before.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I said 'most people', not everyone. And you know I'm right.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
I said 'most people', not everyone. And you know I'm right.
After all, this is a fashion forum. All people care about is the pose value of the bike. If they have a couple of grand to spend on accessories it always goes on an Akrapovic pipe, not on preserving a full set of limbs.
Sure, I defer to the expertise you've gained through your extensive familiarity with what's important to the folks who've been posting here for years.

ShoeWho

Reaction score
I have enough knowledge of motorcyclists and motorcycling to know that this forum cannot possibly be a hallowed place where only the skilled and knowledgeable gather. There's enough ignorance just in the last 5 pages of this thread to prove that!

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Self-driving is never going to be an option with motorcycles

Honda have already built a bike which can stand up on its own, so self-driving bikes can't be far away. The only part they haven't made yet is the cornering algorithm - I bet they can manage that. A self-driving cabin motorcycle like the BMW C1 or the Peraves Monotracer could be a great urban transport solution in jurisdictions which allow filtering.

http://www.motorradundreisen.de/pictures/showTop/0x0/news/365/bmw-seite.jpg

http://4e2w.blob.core.windows.net/images/2014/03/montracer.jpg

brokencycle

Reaction score
The Triumph Bobber is awesome looking. I don't think I'm cool enough to buy one.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you're right. Most of our discussions have been about which designer flip flops look best while riding

I have enough knowledge of motorcyclists and motorcycling to know that this forum cannot possibly be a hallowed place where only the skilled and knowledgeable gather. There's enough ignorance just in the last 5 pages of this thread to prove that!

Any examples of the aforementioned ignorance that you would like to share with us?

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2017 MV Agusta Brutale 1000. I find it curious how MV has neglected upgrading/replacing the inline-4 1090 Brutale but are focusing on the triples (675, 800 and now 1000)

6675750_orig.jpg

ShoeWho

Reaction score
Any examples of the aforementioned ignorance that you would like to share with us?

This stands out: "Most padding is for the most part ornamental and doesn't offer any real protection. That D3o stuff might be an option tho. I know it can be bought in preshaped armour or in sheets." It would be hilarious if it wasn't about something which can prevent you from being crippled.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Triumph Bobber is awesome looking. I don't think I'm cool enough to buy one.

I HATE HATE HATE the seat though. They made a great looking bike, fantastic details, and then the seat is like this dumb looking, uh, ledge just hanging off the spine. Had they planted a solo seat or something onto the fender to hide the rear spring, I would have loved this bike. Maybe an after-market solution, but that seat was pure fail.

bonnie6-copy.jpg

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This stands out: "Most padding is for the most part ornamental and doesn't offer any real protection. That D3o stuff might be an option tho. I know it can be bought in preshaped armour or in sheets." It would be hilarious if it wasn't about something which can prevent you from being crippled.

"Padding" for the most part IS ornamental. Presently I have a 1 piece suit, a Dainese Santa Monica jacket and the original Dainese Stripes jacket, all of which have hard armour. While hard armour used to be the standard more and more manufacturers have turned to "soft" armour such as D30, SAS-TEC, Forcefield etc. because they are thinner and more comfortable yet still are CE rated (most are level 1 but a few are level 2). It can purchased preshaped (shoulder, elbow/forearm, spine protector, chest pad, etc) or purchased in sheets of varying thickness to be used in custom applications.

The person who posed the question was not a regular to this forum and I assumed was not a rider. They pop in from time to time. It was also my assumption that the poster was interested in manufacturing fashion motorcycle-like jackets. I was merely directing the poster down a path which would inevitably lead to the discovery that "padding" isn't enough for a real motorcycle jacket.

What I find hilarious is that the Resident Gear Nazi (moi) is being singled out by ShoeWho for passing on bad gear advice. Now that's rich!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads