1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Take a test ride my friend. You will thank me later.

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

You need to stop bs-ing and get a 2nd gen Tuono (2007 - 2010). Its a twin like you prefer with the power boost that you crave, better handling than your ninja, bulletproof Rotax motor and easily found for around $5k - $6k. Make it happen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

To keep it clean, I removed the ugly stock mirrors and installed bar-ends. Then I stuck one of these in the left mirror socket.
    [​IMG]

And attached one of these for positioning.

[​IMG]

And then this goes on the phone. Use a RAM AMPS base RAM-202 w ball socket.

[​IMG]

Least that's one way to do it.

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

You're the king of finding well-priced used bikes on the internet.

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Tuono is interesting. I'm just worried about reliability. I'm not sure it's worth a gamble over an SV1000 or even a same year Street/Speed Triple.

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

If I can learn from my friend's recent venture with the Moto Guzzi V7, here's what I'm looking for when considering a new bike (especially an 'exotic') in no particular order:

• Stable dealer network
    • Availability of aftermarket parts/accessories
    • Large user base, preferably with an internet forum
    • Relatively easy to wrench on
    • Reasonable service intervals

My buddy picked up the V7 from the dealer in late April? Early May? He's had to have it towed back twice because it won't start. The dealer changed the starter relay AND the ECU and it's still doesn't start reliably.

He's left with them and once it's fixed, he's gonna get them to list it for sale.

1 person likes this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I was just going to say, why not the sv liter bike. Few for about what i paid for the 650 on craigslist right now. Most go between 3.5-4k for the newer models.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  8. epb

epb Senior member

These worries are what have kept me from owning an MV Agusta Brutale. I never found much support for them in Chicago; now I'm in rural KY so I know it's off the table. Maybe a Ducati...

My W650 Scrambler project isn't happening, btw. Seller went with someone local before I could pick it up over the weekend. My brother's livid but really, I've sold enough bikes and cars via Craigslist to know if you've got a buyer in front of you, you don't hesitate.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rumpelstiltskin

I was in love with the Tuono right before I bought the ninja so I researched the fuck out of it. They came with an second optional larger rear sprocket when new. The Factory models have the funny coloured frames, lighter wheels and Ohlins suspension. They changed the motor halfway through 2007 so it made a bit more power. Models before 2008 had stator issues that may or may not have been fixed on recall. They all have sucky back brakes because of engine heat fried the brake fluid unless you relocated the master cylinder

[​IMG][​IMG]

Quote:
    From what I have read the big SV is a lil porky and not nearly as nimble as the 650. In all this time Cool has never mentioned having any interest in it. The taillights are cool IMO.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. Rumpelstiltskin

This is true. I do know have a knack for spending other people's money. That being said I just happened to stumble across these beauts

Street Triples

2009 Striple (round eye)
    5968 miles
    $4,999
    Located at a Jersey dealership

[​IMG]

2012 Striple (slant eye)
    885 miles
    $6,999
    Located at a Houston dealer

[​IMG]

Speed Triples

2010 Spiple (round eye)
    5700 miles
    $6,000
    Private owner in Chantilly, VA

[​IMG]

2012 Spiple (slant eye)
    7,206 miles
    $6,930
    Located at Ann Arbor dealership

[​IMG]

Tuonos

2009 Tuono
    3473 miles
    $5,999
    Big Bend, WI dealership

[​IMG]

2007 Aprilia Tuono
    11,437 miles
    $5995

Westmont, IL dealership

[​IMG]

2009 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    3,000 miles
    $7,995
    Cedar Park, TX private owner

[​IMG]

Z1000

2013 Z1000 SE (Two-tone Metallic Spark Black / Pearl Flat Stardust White)
    3131 miles
    $6880
    Long Island City dealer

[​IMG]

2013 Kawasaki Z1000
    0 miles
    $6,999
    California dealership

[​IMG]

CB1000

2014 Honda CB1000
    0 miles
    $7,495
    Located in Baltimore dealership
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. ridethecliche

It's not that it's porky, it only has 50lbs on the sv650, the 650 was just so good that the price difference wasn't worth it.

I haven't tried one, but that's what i understood from what I've read.

I think the geometry was slightly different as well. Probably the reason for the slower handling. Oh well.

12. ridethecliche

I want that 5k striple... Holy shit.

13. ridethecliche

Rode out to visit a friend in VT today. Back roads only.

Such a sick ride. Holy hell.

2 people like this.
  14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Welcome to the dark side.

I need to get back up to the mountains. I just hate the hour plus on boring highways it takes me to get to them

15. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Oh man. Tell me about it. Tell me you got some Heady Topper out there.

It's just over a year since I went up there with some friends. One of my buddies went down on Rte 100B. He was fine, just some bruises. Gotta stay alert when riding all day. One's eyes can gloss over in the magical rhythm of late summer back-road bliss. The mind can wander.

Way up in the mountains are some awesome valleys and switchbacks. Some of the turns have impossible grades. No way to back off once you're leaned in and committed. So much fun.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  16. ridethecliche

I really love this bike. Something hilarious happened this again. I'll have to write it out when i get home.

Tldr: i figured out what happens when your battery terminals are loose when you're flying down the highway...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  17. ridethecliche

Someone convince me that doing a front end swap is a bad idea... I love how the naked sv looks with a Gxsr front...

18. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

Not a bad idea. Very mechanical amd common swap!

19. ridethecliche

Yeah, the brake dive is non existent and the front brake improves, i have a guy locally selling one and he'll teach me to do the work, but it needs a wheel and tire. Price is 500 so I'm looking at about 200-300 more for the other stuff.Then it might needs all the races, valves, etc redone which would be pricey... That's what I'm afraid of.

A guy on an sv Facebook group sells the front ends for 500 with the wheel and rebuilds them first, but I'd need to get the work done somewhere so there's that. I'd be able to sell the stock front end, wheel, and tire for a decent amount of money. Guessing I'd get 200 or so for it.

The traxxion kit would probably cost about the same with having someone install it for the forks. So there's that.

I know I'm over thinking this, but i wish i knew which was objectively better.

Decisions decisions :(

There were definitely times this weekend when i was looking for another gear, but i think that might be because i get nervous when i take something over 5k rpm. Thats just getting warmed up for some bikes!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Is it just me or does the redesigned HD Roadglide's fairing look a lot like the fairing Victory has had on its Cross Country for a couple of years? That would be the tail wagging the dog if HD borrowed some styling cues from Victory.