• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my 35 year old 400 has a perfectly reliable electric starter...and cost me less than a quarter of that bike.

Last edited:

epb

Reaction score

my 35 year old 400 has a perfectly reliable electric starter...and cost me less than a quarter of that bike.

I'm not too fussed about no electric start, I'm more annoyed that it has fuel injection. A carbed single with kick-start is almost impossible to kill - you can come out to a bike with a flat battery, dead or missing fuses, in freezing cold or blazing heat and know the sucker will get moving if it's got fuel. With FI, you need power for a fuel pump and such or it won't start anyway - why not add electric start?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Intentionally putting a kick starter on a 2014 bike reeks of gimmickry IMO

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for good used starter bike in the 1k range (sport or standard)? Don't mind something that involves tinkering. No real experience with it, but would give me something to waste my time on instead of SF :D Could spend more if needed I guess... really want that 500f but aint happening right now unfortunately.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not too fussed about no electric start, I'm more annoyed that it has fuel injection. A carbed single with kick-start is almost impossible to kill - you can come out to a bike with a flat battery, dead or missing fuses, in freezing cold or blazing heat and know the sucker will get moving if it's got fuel. With FI, you need power for a fuel pump and such or it won't start anyway - why not add electric start?

It is injected?

Ok, what a joke. Is the 6k pricetag just representative of the fact that they have to get a bunch of emissions and safety testing done on the bike to bring it to the USA and they know that not many people will actually want one?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the more I think about it, the more marsupialed that bike and the idea of it is. Would much rather get this over it, no doubt.

TypeSingle Cylinder, 4 stroke, Air cooled
Displacement535 cc
Bore x stroke87mm x 90mm
Compression Ratio8.5:1
Maximum Power29.1 bhp (21.4 kW) @ 5100 rpm
Maximum Torque44 Nm @ 4000 rpm
Ignition SystemDigital Electronic Ignition
ClutchWet, multi-plate
Gearbox5 Speed Constant Mesh
LubricationWet sump
Engine Oil15 W 50 API, SL Grade JASO MA
Fuel SupplyKeihin Electronic Fuel Injection
Air CleanerPaper Element
Engine StartElectric & Kick

U.SA MSRP $6,000

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Royal Enfield just needs a layer of patina and it's pretty much good to go. Nice city bike.

epb

Reaction score

Anyone have suggestions for good used starter bike in the 1k range (sport or standard)? Don't mind something that involves tinkering. No real experience with it, but would give me something to waste my time on instead of SF :D Could spend more if needed I guess... really want that 500f but aint happening right now unfortunately.

I'm biased since the CB400T was my first (and current, 30-odd years later) bike, but I really think the 70s-80s UJMs in the 350-450cc range work. Not just the Honda CB350/400/450 twins, but the Kawasaki KZ400/440, Suzuki GS/GT line, or the original Yamaha SR, RD, or XS650. Next cheapest - and not as desirable - are the small displacement pseudo-cruisers from the 1980s when the Japanese decided everything had to look like a either Harley or a race bike - bikes like the Rebel 250, Yamaha Virago and so on, long prized for their modest power and low seat height, making them easy riders for beginners.

rjwoody

Reaction score
You can often find an '82 or '83 Honda FT500 Ascot within your price range. Single thumper for cheap.

Last edited:

rjwoody

Reaction score
To the guy with sticking brakes back on 279...Could be caused by one or more of several things. Bad brake hose/line...this is often the case when you release pressure by opening the bleeder and the caliper then moves freely...a deteriorated hose/line will prohibit free flow of fluid back and forth...as the brake heats up the fluid expands and closes the caliper...not fun when on the highway at speed. Change your fluid every year if you have winter layover. Regardless of your climate it is always good and cheap to change the brake fluid. Condensation will build up in the fluid and rust caliper pistons causing the sticking problem mentioned. I have fixed calipers without new kits by honing the cylinder and piston with a dremel tool with a sandpaper barrel and careful to clean out the mess. The seals are usually okay if you're careful not to damage them (yes I am cheap). Good luck and enjoy that cool ride!

Last edited:

epb

Reaction score
And then there was one. Sold the Hawk GT a few minutes ago, so my sole bike is the model I started with CB400T. All that's left now is deciding between a CB500F or British Sportster (Bonneville) with the proceeds from this and the CBR600RR I sold last month. I still haven't sat on the new Honda, which will likely be the deciding factor...

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aww man why would you sell the Hawk, that thing is a cult classic, you WILL regret this.

ClassyCanuck

Reaction score

Just an update for those who are interested:

All controls now installed. New carbs installed (probably scrap the velocity stacks for pod filters).

Seat, exhaust and wiring are left to do.

Hopefully May 1st will be when i turn her over for the first time, at least that's what i'm telling myself

CRcarbs015_zps212b3de6.jpg

Please tell me you are not painting it.
I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait for you to fire it up and report back.
Looks great.
You should be proud of your build.
Bravo.

epb

Reaction score

Aww man why would you sell the Hawk, that thing is a cult classic, you WILL regret this.

I know. The mistake was getting the CBR600RR last year - though I didn't fall in love with the bike, I did fall in love with the idea of a modern bike - it's a much nicer riding experience than my Hawk GT and Hawk II. In the end, I decided to keep the Hawk II because it's the bike I started with, and I knew I'd get more for the new bike fund selling the GT. Ironically, the buyer bought it because it was the same as his first bike, and he was very pleased with it, seeing beyond the scruffiness to the upgrades and overall condition. Within minutes of seeing it, he asked for me to take $1 off my asking price so he could tell the wife he haggled.

The current mindset is get a modern ride in a vintage package, like a Bonneville or Sportster, allowing me to go down to one bike, or get a CB500F ABS and keep the CB400T around for when I feel nostalgic.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please tell me you are not painting it.
I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait for you to fire it up and report back.
Looks great.
You should be proud of your build.
Bravo.

Wow thanks man. Means a lot.

I wish i didn't have to paint it, but the tins are not in awesome shape. Lots of dents and wripples that drive my OCD crazy.

I do promise to keep it clean. Likely a matte colour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads