1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Oh, I agree 100%.

I just want a simple cafe racer with armor. Even the Roland Sands Ronin has all this patchwork stuff going on on the sleeves.

You could even just buy a Schott and have the armor pockets sewn in.

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Yea I loved how ToJ was just good plain leather with good cuts

I saw a ToJ bomber and the baseball jacket in person and they were absolutely beautiful. All those jackets look like dept store crap by comparison :(

3. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

For some reason this jacket is calling me. It can't be that difficult to find a competent seamstress/tailor to sew in pockets for shoulder, elbow and back armour, can it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  4. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Sucks about ToJ. If only the guy had had the sense to partner with a competent manufacturer. Even some so-called "Bespoke" shops just do the measurements and have the work done elsewhere.

Anyhow.

Shout out to RSD

[​IMG]

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Like Trini I'm not a fan of the patchwork arms

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

IDK about the brown, the more that I think about it. Black = bad ass. Brown = Member's Only Dad.

7. Rumpelstiltskin

I don't know why I have this fascination with brown jackets. I have a fashion leather jacket the same exact colour as that Vanson as well as this one

[​IMG]
    (old bike, old slimmer belly, those A* boots were sold, those jeans are now shorts, etc.)

Now I did find a place that has the lovely buffalo leather Spidi Dirty Seven on sale for $366

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Nope, it shouldn't. The only problem with retrofitting an existing jacket to accept armor is whether there's enough room in the shoulders, elbows, etc. I remember one of the original Ride Apart dudes was doing this with a Vanson jacket.

That's why I went with black originally.

9. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

The other thing I heard re: Johnson Leathers is that they have access to Kangaroo leather which is more abrasion-resistant than cowhide but significantly lighter.

An upcharge of $350 tho....

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Quoting to come back later and check out when I have a chance. I need a new jacket and was originally looking at Roland Sands. On the pants subject. I ride to work 2-3 days a week during the season. When riding to work, I just wear chinos with a pair of armored Joe Rocket overpants and boots. I put a pair of shoes in my backpack.

11. Rumpelstiltskin

*dead*

I have a black jacket but it is kinda (read very) boy racer-ish and a black 1 piece suit so I'm still cool

[​IMG]

12. Rumpelstiltskin

With all the newer super thin CE level 1 armour available it shouldn't be too difficult of a mod. The snug fit will help against it shifting if everything goes bad. CE level 2 in the arms and shoulders might be a bit tricky without sizing up but not impossible.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Black clothing in general has never really done much for me. As such, most of my other clothes go better with browns than blacks (boots, belts, etc).

I wouldn't go for a light brown/tan...but dark brown/dark whiskey is solid. But, I think it requires pretty clean/classic lines. Too much ornamentation or cheap leather and it will look shitty.

Also, I think it blends better with my vintage bike. Not sure I would stick with brown if I had a new harley or sportbike.

14. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Yeah I'm not into brown OR black. Black is just too hot wearing sometimes. My leather is dirty gray. It's not trying to be anything except leather.

Out here in London, there are basically two looks: trench coat or perfecto knock-off.

Literally, 4/5 leather jackets are perfecto knockoffs.

It's almost completely turned me off to biker jackets. And I'm a biker!

15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Surprised there aren't more Belstaffs.

Speaking of which, I'm off to do some riding in Portland (OR, not Maine) at the end of June.

Should I take the Belstaff or my Aether?

Current weather conditions have the temps at around ~20C....

16. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I have a Held with a heat reflecting black finish - it works decently well.

Can't really wear Dainese stuff - too much logo.

17. Rumpelstiltskin

Dainese has a few subtle logo'd jackets. My issue with them is most of their line consists of the same jacket in different colour schemes. Either various metal shoulders with hand pockets and stretch panels or non-metal shoulders with 2 chest pockets and 2 hand pockets and stretch panels

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  18. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It's tough to find a good riding jacket that isn't heavily branded and isn't cluttered with non-essential seams and "features!" We have a few additions to our catalog that are true motorcycle jackets that work well both on and off the bike, so we thought we'd post a few up here... All of these jackets are available in over 30 leather options and can be custom fitted!

Vanson Daredevil: This jacket is a slim-fitting crosszip made with Vanson's Z150 cowhide (similar finish to the Comp Weight, but slightly lighter and more flexible). It has shoulder gussets for reach on the bike and ease of movement.

You can get more details on our dedicated SF thread--http://www.styleforum.net/t/387175/vanson-styleforum-thurston-bros-slim-fit-japanese-double-rider-mto/1875#post_7955833

Customer shot from Daredevil thread:
    [​IMG]

Vanson Chopper--This is a heavier weight riding jacket. It's made with Vanson's Comp Weight leather and has extra leather in the shoulders and elbows.

[​IMG]

Aero Cafe' Racer--You can custom order this jacket in heavy steerhide, heavy or med. weight horsehide or even goatskin! It only takes 6-8 weeks for delivery on a custom Aero order and you can have it made just the way you want it (leather, liner, hardware, body and sleeve lengths, etc.).

[​IMG]

If you want impact protection, all of these jackets can easily fit a Knox Venture Shirt underneath. This is our favorite armored shirt because it doesn't require sizing up (in one's jacket size), the shirt material is breathable and washable, and it's easy to take it off and roll up into your bag once you get off the bike!

[​IMG]

You can check out our SF Affiliate thread here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/384450/...ca-official-affiliate-thread/780#post_7957066

You can also view our website here: http://www.thurston-bros.com/

19. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Is this the derby?

20. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That's a Vanson C2 in Octagon brown...totally different fit from the Derby and the Daredevil. The C2 has a more "relaxed" build with wider arms/sleeves. The Derby is more fitted than the C2 through the arms and body. The Daredevil has similar fit to the Derby, except that it's tighter through the shoulders. The Octagon color is available for any of these styles--we just had a limited batch of Octagon Vanson Model Bs come in and the color is even better than the photos illustrate!