Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jase12

jase12 Senior member

im startin to think im going to end up with a bike "collection" rather than trading in like cars!

2. dudesonsfan

dudesonsfan New Member

If you do what do you ride I'm on a black 1991 Yamaha FZR600. Love it to death but any bump and my balls a smashed against my tank.

3. bigbjorn

bigbjorn Senior member

1991 FZR 600, huh? I liked those. I was 15 in 1991, so spent a lot of time dreaming about a FZR 600 with the classic Yamaha red/white paint scheme. Of course, I was even hotter for a FZR 400 based on the Nick Ienatsch review in Motorcyclist. Currently, I ride a CBR1000, but I'm looking for something more interesting - maybe an old Tonti-framed Guzzi or a Magni Honda.

4. JonB27

JonB27 Senior member

5. spacepuppy

spacepuppy Active Member

05 yellow Ducati 999. Too bad I don't put enough miles on it. Shame on me!

6. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Never been a motorcycle guy but recently I've become intrigued with vintage BMWs. I'm not an adrenaline junky so I think something like this would be perfect for me. The off-white color is so classic.

[​IMG]

7. jase12

jase12 Senior member

Never been a motorcycle guy but recently I've become intrigued with vintage BMWs. I'm not an adrenaline junky so I think something like this would be perfect for me. The off-white color is so classic.

[​IMG]

lovely lovely bike. never seen one like that before. i ride a 2008 triumph bonneville. glad i got the '08 as i hate the new wheels and exhaust on the '09 models

8. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

That's a beautiful bike! I didn't realize BMW had anything like that. I've only become interested in BMW in the last year or so...

9. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I recently saw a gentleman out riding the sweetest harley i think i've ever seen, and have since had an incurable itch to learn to ride, the only problem is I don't know a thing about motorcycles, and have never riden. I really would like to learn, and eventually own a bike as they look like a lot of fun, and also a much cheaper way to commute short distances around town. Where should a total beginner start? I have looked into taking a safety course, but do they actually teach you how to ride? I would need to learn everything a person needs to know to ride. Friends keep telling me its something they think they could teach me to do, but I am extrememely hesitant. Also, my fiance isn't too keen on the idea of me riding .

How can I go about becoming a competent enough rider that I can be safe, enjoy riding, and keep from un-necessarily worrying my fiance?

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I recently saw a gentleman out riding the sweetest harley i think i've ever seen, and have since had an incurable itch to learn to ride, the only problem is I don't know a thing about motorcycles, and have never riden. I really would like to learn, and eventually own a bike as they look like a lot of fun, and also a much cheaper way to commute short distances around town. Where should a total beginner start? I have looked into taking a safety course, but do they actually teach you how to ride? I would need to learn everything a person needs to know to ride. Friends keep telling me its something they think they could teach me to do, but I am extrememely hesitant. Also, my fiance isn't too keen on the idea of me riding .

How can I go about becoming a competent enough rider that I can be safe, enjoy riding, and keep from un-necessarily worrying my fiance?

http://www.msf-usa.org/ Take the beginner course. They provide bikes, helmets, etc. You need to bring gloves, long pants and long sleeves. They will give you the basics and get you up and riding in two sessions (4hrs each IIRC). I don't think it will have you ready to go straight out in traffic but you'll have an idea of whether you can handle it, and either way it is a lot of fun. I would never have gotten into riding if my friend hadn't dragged me to the course, and it was one of the best things I ever did, honestly.

11. spacepuppy

spacepuppy Active Member

Beginner guy, a great way to learn is on dirt bikes. You can learn how to ride away from traffic and actually have fun doing it! Or try it on a scooter, that way you can see what it's like exposed to traffic and not have to concentrate on operating the machine since scooters are a twist and go style of riding. Be careful out there!

12. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I posted this in the buying and selling section but I'm selling some of my motorcycle stuff on ebay if interested...

Link here

half helmet, leather pants, gloves, summer jacket

13. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Go to Vietnam and have Matt's driver teach you. Added bonus: after the trip, you won't have a fiancee to be un-necessarily worried.

14. stylar

stylar Senior member

Are any of you college students with motorcycles? How helpful would they be going to school in Los Angeles?

15. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

I really want this beauty in my life. [​IMG]