1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

The issue is that Paul asked for my help, I saved him a boat load of cash by storing one of his crappy Triumphs in the garage which houses my employer's motorcycle collection and he was an utter prick when it came to retrieving the bike which put me in a horrible situation, professionally speaking.

As for your flippant original and edited comment "I suppose you know so much more about vintage bikes than Paul? Do tell." you have no idea who I am or what I do for a living. While after a couple of decades in the vintage motorcycle business I do feel that I can hold my own in terms of knowledge against a good percentage of the population (truthfully conceding that Paul is extraordinarily knowledgeable...far more than me) the reality is that this isn't about who knows what...it's about who treats people in what sort of manner. The guy is truly a self serving person who has little regard for others.

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Did you end up with a sportster? How was the ride? Pictures? We need details man details. And where are the pictures?

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

This looks fun! :slayer:

4. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Nope. They got more Bonnevilles in so I got one of those. Ride was amazing. Great roads, not a ton of traffic (other than LA) and lots of wide open spaces. Lots of pics below so I'm spoilering them.
    Day 1: Eaglerider SF: [​IMG] Bike all loaded to go: [​IMG] Somewhere b/ween SF and Monterrey: [​IMG] Monterey Cannery Row [​IMG] Day 2: Asilomar hotel [​IMG] Carmel coast: [​IMG] Big Sur coast: [​IMG] Bixby Bridge: [​IMG] Roadstop [​IMG] McWay Waterfall [​IMG] PCH: [​IMG] Elephant seals at San Simeon [​IMG] Day 3: Pismo Beach [​IMG] Santa Barbara Coastline: [​IMG] Old Mission, Santa Barbara [​IMG] Mugu Beach [​IMG] [​IMG] Malibu Coastline: [​IMG] Lunchtime stop [​IMG] End of the road (LA): [​IMG]
    If you guys have any questions about the trip, let me know.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rumpelstiltskin

fyi: I hate you. I'm glad you're back in Canada where it is probably winter already. Say hi to the Abominable Snowman for me

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that the weather was fucking amazing.

Every. Single. Day.

I didn't want to come back.

1 person likes this.
  7. otc

otc Senior member

How did you plan out route/timing/hotel stops?

Looks great :)

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I actually booked it through Eaglerider's hipster division called the Roadery.

http://theroadery.com/self-guided-tour-the-pacific-coast

While their website says they have guided tours, they haven't gotten enough numbers as yet to justify a tour guide and support van so all their tours are only available on a self-guided basis right now.

They booked the hotels and provide a broad overview of the route and key stops. I used my iphone maps app a lot though just to make sure I was on the right route and also to map out the sightseeing stops I wanted to go to such as the McWay waterfall, etc.

The guys who run my local motorcycle shop were actually doing this one at the same time as me:

http://theroadery.com/self-guided-tour-la-route-66-national-parks

Apparently Zion National Park is amazing.

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

My throttle hand cramps up after 30 minutes. What's the secret to long rides?

10. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

11. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

12. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Haha, I've seen those, but... does anyone actually use them? That's what I don't get, how do you guys not cramp up your hands? Is it because I have carny hands? I've yet to go on a ride longer than about 45 min because it just gets too annoyingly painful.

[​IMG]

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I don't get cramp but my throttle hand used to go numb.

Once I changed my grips, the vibration was less prominent and my hand was fine.

14. Rumpelstiltskin

Sounds like your gloves are too tight

15. riverflow

riverflow Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're gripping too tight. Last winter I got a lot of cramps because I was clenching my heated grips for dear life. Relax the hands

My hands still get a bit sore around the thumbs after riding for several hours, but that seems understandable to me. Moving my thumbs on top of the grips for a while solves that issue.

16. otc

otc Senior member

Well, I have discovered what happens when my motorcycle runs out of gas (it stops).

Oddly, I was at mile 115 and the tank should be good for more like 150. Unfortunately, I had left the fuel knob in the wrong position, so no reserve tank for me. Not sure what happened. It has been running funny, so I may have just been burnign lots of excess gas. Or, with the switch in the prime position, it was able to slowly leak (the floats used to seal well...but I suppose they could have been leaking).

17. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I had that happen to me on my final licencing exit course actually. The combination of constant stop-starting and not getting out of second gear meant that i ended up with a lot less fuel than my trip odometer indicated and when we got on the highway, I started sputtering and losing power.

Thankfully, all I needed to do was switch to reserve and get to a gas station but it would've sucked if it'd been something more serious.

Not having a fuel gauge fucking sucks.

18. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I use my trip meter vigilantly. I have to... my bike gets shit gas mileage for what it is and the tank is relatively small. Coupled with my long commute, if I get 2 days of riding without the gas light coming on it's a miracle. I love love love the look of nakeds but I'm considering getting a faired bike next go round. Shame there are not too many faired middle weights... I could mess with something like a faired 750-800 triple with upright bars

19. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah...usually don't have any trouble because I can flip to reserve. But since it was in prime (which uses the reserve inlet), once it started sputtering, I was dry. Ran for a bit further at full throttle (since it would suck from a jet further down in the bowl I am assuming), which got me to the exit from Lake Shore Drive. Walked it the rest of the way to the office (about a .6 miles).

Can't tell if it leaked fuel or if I just forgot to reset the trip odometer before riding a few miles on the tank (I know I have done this in the past, but, I was on vacation so my last fill was a *long* time ago and I can't remember...will have to check the book where I right down mileage).

99% sure it is just out of gas...hopefully I can get some gas at lunch and it will start right back up.

20. otc

otc Senior member

One aquafina bottle full of gas and she's back up and running!