1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Personally I never understood the point of riding in bad weather. I HAVE come across random dumpings of gravel and garbage on the road, so yea, ABS and traction control would be appreciated. However, I don't think I could get that in a 100 HP naked bike in my price range (<$5K).

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Road trips? Can't always predict the weather. Good to be prepared.

I think the main thing traction control is great for is the track though. If you have stupid-high HP, you need something to keep yourself from getting killed with it! At least I would.

3. Cool The Kid

If I do a road trip I will take one of my cars. Track days are another good place for it, didn't even think of that.

4. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

You wouldn't/don't take road trips with friends that also ride? As long as you have a right mix of people with similar riding styles/experience that shit is fun

5. BostonHedonist

Road trip in a car? I did that when I was a kid. And I learned a lot about America too. Mostly that it's nothing but corn and soy fields between Pennsylvania and Colorado. Boriiiing. If I'm going a distance I'm either flying through the night, drunk and knocked out on pills, or I'm getting some excitement out of it.

Hell, tomorrow I'm going to ride up to Lake Winnipesaukee for the night. It's an exercise in minimalism for sure. One pair of pants. Two sets of underwear. One off bike tee. One riding tee. DR Bronners tube for combination tooth paste and all applicable soaps. I think this time I'll bring my extra kriega bag and pack a hammock. I love hammocks.

6. epb

epb Senior member

A car is great if I need to get somewhere with a lot of stuff quickly. If I have the time, I'd much rather take a bike, use county/state roads and risk having to ride in a bit of inclement weather.

7. Cool The Kid

I'm spooked from riding with folks. I went on a group ride with some internet buddies 2 months after I got my bike. For starters they went way too fast for me. And the dude in front of me crashed, which caused me to crash into his bike, and total mine (on paper at least, just needed a new fork and plastic I didn't replace). I did ride with a buddy I knew for a few years a few times after that, and that was fun. But now I'm down in NC and I don't know anybody. Plus all the good riding roads are at least an hour away. There's a track about an hour away... I'm hoping next year I can get a suit and do some track days. Plus my drive to work has about 20 miles down a sweeping 2 lane road, so I get my fix.

8. BostonHedonist

A would-be daredevil leading a group without discussing rider level is dangerous. Don't ride with anyone who hasn't read this:http://www.fjrowners.com/pace.html

9. Rumpelstiltskin

Everytime I have ridden with a new group (real life or internet) I stayed waaaay back and took the time to assess everyones skill level. I have learned to avoid groups of over 4 or so. I have heard of and witnessed too many horror stories such as yours and worse

10. Cool The Kid

Yea there were about 8 of us. Shit got out of control. They weren't even squids either... a few Ducatis, but the leader was on a Sportser.

There are some older groups down here that go on rides. I might link with them, and I definitely want to do some track days both in my car and on the bike.

11. Rumpelstiltskin

Depending on where you live the Ducatistas are neck and neck with the Gixxer riders in squiddilydom. They might wear more name brand gear but it is clear many of them are more comfortable sitting in a starbucks chair than a motorcycle saddle.

12. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

:mad:

1 person likes this.
  13. Rumpelstiltskin

14. Nolvadex

Nolvadex Senior member

just passed the learners course, will be joining the motorcycle crew shortly :)

2 people like this.
  15. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

It might just be me but I have little desire to ride with more than 1 person.

16. BostonHedonist

Remember the first two rules of motorcycling.

Rule no. 1) Look good.
    Rule no. 2) Safety first.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  17. BostonHedonist

OMGOMGOMGOMG

Skully AR1 just became available for pre-order.

[​IMG]

18. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Why so much dubstep? :confused:

19. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

It looks cool, but I was really expecting a more whole view / Iron Man type thing.

20. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

No, I have no desire to ride in a group.