Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Ooooooooooooo you cant go wrong with the GT1000.... one of my dream bikes is a Paul Smart

What track was that???/

2. Kookz

Kookz Senior member

It's a Sport 1000, not a GT, but more or less the same. Unfortunately for my bank account it's got way too many zeroes spent on it and I haven't even ridden it in over a year. The Harley is too fun around Brooklyn, and I don't do stupid things like wheelies on the Williamsburg bridge with it.

That was on Thunderbolt at NJMP.

3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I did ride on public roads in addition to parking lots. Safely and comfortably...

Riding in a parking lot and getting used to a new bike is called practice (and I just didn't "tool around parking lots for two months") which I still did even after several years of riding a motorcycle. I knew what I could do and what I couldn't do. I practiced what I couldn't do or wasn't good at and got better at it with a bike that fit me perfectly. I'm not sure why that's so hard for you and to understand. You'll do the same thing when you get a bike and start riding (or get a new bike after years of experience).

Lol! While I dropped my bike once or twice practicing low speed maneuvers (which is to be expected), I practiced picking my bike up often to make sure that I knew exactly what I was doing in case I ever laid my bike down on the street - which is what I was referring to in the post that you didn't quote.

That's different than "dropping it repeatedly during low speed maneuvers" "for two months while tooling around parking lots" "with a bike that you couldn't ride" because if you would have bought a ninja 250 none of this would have happened, etc. etc. etc. Also, that's what practice if for whether you have 1 year or 100 years of riding.

Plus, there are only two types of riders: Riders that have dropped their bikes and riders that haven't dropped their bikes... Yet...

Practicing picking up a new bike is completely normal behavior and as I said, I suggest you do it several times from both sides so you know how to do it. Dropping it will happen to, if you're actually practicing anything.

It's a symptom of any rider with any bike.

It appears that you're suggesting that you don't do these things when you get a new bike? I'll strongly suggest that you do. Did I lack experience with my bike? Sure. Even after several years there is much to learn about riding a bike. Does that mean that I shouldn't have bought the bike I did? Absolutely and obviously not. When you get a bike, whatever bike you get (whether you have a lot of experience or a little) you will take the time to get used to it, learn the controls, test the brakes, see how it handles, etc., etc., etc. I did it on my bike successfully just like you will when you get a bike and just like everyone else does who gets one. None of this has anything to do with the bike that I got being "too much bike". It was perfect for me.

I followed my mentor's / instructors advice actually. I wasn't peer pressured into anything. And as I said, I rode my bike for my advanced training classes.

Why would a person that just got a bike ride in major traffic whether they have 1 or 100 years of experience of riding?

Whether one has experience and a new bike or your a new rider that has a 250, 650, 750 it takes time to acclimate to the bike. You're reasoning is absurd! Having "too much bike" and buying a bike that you're acclimating yourself to are two different things. Can't you understand that distinction?

I'm so confident that it was such a great bike that I'd do it all over again. I loved every second of it and had a great time when I had that bike. I wasn't "terrified" of my bike or "terrified" riding on the road (as someone posted), I knew my limitations, had a bike that I felt comfortable on, wasn't afraid to learn on, wasn't afraid to drop, completely respected it's speed and power, etc. It simply wasn't "too much bike" for me. YMMV

Just like the next time I get a bike; I'll shop around endlessly, make sure the price fits my budget, make sure it has what I want, make sure the bike fits me, has the appropriate power, etc. and then I'll ride safely and within my experience. I'll go to a parking lot when there are no cars and practice, ride on the streets when there / where there aren't many cars, probably drop the bike, practice picking the bike up several times, take more courses, slow speed drills, etc.

You mean the one without a bike, the other one with no formal training, and one that can't handle his 600 because it's "too much bike"? :fu:

No, I'm saying that people should get a bike that fits them even if it's larger than a 750 (like a Sportster or a VTX or whatever).

You and your bro's have read waaaaaaayyyyyyy to much into my statements and think I said not to get any formal training, buy a Hayabusa, and ride outside of your experience because your daddy thinks you're a pussy. Why? Because you can't comprehend.

Nope. You're lack of comprehension isn't my arrogance.

Which I do, that's not rationalizing...

You weren't. My instructors were though.

How dramatic. I don't have anything to hide. You, however, have a lot to comprehend.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Than I was wrong and I apologize for the comments about not taking any courses (I wasn't sure about France...). I think that European riders are MUCH better educated and trained than American riders.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

5. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

6. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

There are a lot more requirements just to get a license. One can't just get a license and buy a Hayabusa like I recommend.

7. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

West Indians in the place. I am a Bajan

I rode up for Caribana a couple years back (08) from scenic Maryland. Rode up with a bunch of slow riders...shit was nice yet horrible because of the pace.

[​IMG]

Ended up blazing down the QEW at what I found out later was impound speeds. The motorcycle gods were smiling down on me that day my friends and all was well

[​IMG]

Rented a nice house in Danforth: 5 minutes from the beach and 10 minutes from downtown. We feted every night til we dropped. I love Toronto...well during the summer that is.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

8. Rumpelstiltskin

Actually just about all sportbikes come with slipper clutches as standard equipment and have been for nearly 10 years. Even the Ninja 300 has a slipper. So yes downshifting has changed. People just bang down no matter what the engine speed and the clutch handles the details

WTF are you talking about? When did I ever mention downshifting in the middle of a turn? Might want to get your specs checked

Perhaps you should have paid attention to the words that I typed. I was specifically addressing mistakes that new riders make. NEW RIDERS. If one does not rev match properly while downshifting, especially on a large displacement bike, one can lock up the rear tire. In the wet this could easily lead a new rider to get sideways and go down.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

9. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Senior member

With or without a slipper clutch, throttle blipping on down shifts is a good idea...

10. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Even as a new rider Im not sure I ever downshifted in a turn... maybe right before the turn but not in a turn. Too much shit going on

Chirping the back tire on a bike w/o a slipper is kind of funny though. I am sure my clutch hates me for that. But if the bike is straight up it won't do anything weird.

11. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

I would kill for that truck. Or at least maim...

12. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Nice nice. Thanks to the beaches and 2 women in particular, I have a soft spot for B'dos.

Caribana is good times but I stopped going down to the Lakeshore when they put up the high fences so ppl like me couldn't dip in and out to take a lil wine.

13. Rumpelstiltskin

We got around that one year. Guyanese photographer buddy of mine published a book depicting the various major carnivals in North America, specifically New York, Miami & Toronto.

[​IMG][​IMG]

He arranged for us to have "press passes" so we were inside of the fence. I was tiefin wine left right and center. Madness! I love T.O. If Canada didn't have such cold winters I would move there.

Haven't been to Trinidad yet but I plan on being there this February

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013

14. Rumpelstiltskin

15. Rumpelstiltskin

Interesting vid if a bit long (almost 13 minutes)