1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Its an old man's bike. The BMW R1200GS of Ducati

It's stupid but image is very important to me WRT motorcycles. I would personally sacrifice some practicality/functionality for style.

2. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

3. John Doe

John Doe Senior member

I agree, the MTS is not really a dual purpose bike. What it is is an awesome street bike that can hang with or outperform many sport bikes. Plus it has comfortable ergonomics that won't break your back and will let you travel many long miles in comfort. The BMW GS's are more true dual purpose bikes. What is a Mission R?

IMO the MTS oozes style, but then I've been called an old man before. To me this is an old man's bike:

[​IMG]

Slow, lumbersome, ugly, and mostly good for only going in a strait line.

4. Cool The Kid

So is a Monster 1200, Street Triple, Ninja 1000 etc etc. To each their own I guess, but to me the MTS' styling cancels out all its positives, especially considering its engine is available in other more conventional bikes.

1 person likes this.
  5. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

This is a Mission R - electric super bike

[​IMG]

6. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Didn't one of those run the TT this year?

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

8. Rumpelstiltskin

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

For Mugen on the TT zero race (electric). Not quite as impressive since their only real competition in that space is Czys and Lightning.

My hesitation is basically the lack of active suspension and other goodies that are on the HP4. I would love an electric, but at that price I expect it to have all the advanced crap that is on other bikes.

10. Cool The Kid

No no no no no no electric

11. epb

epb Senior member

Yes yes yes. I can't wait for battery tech to make these practical as daily rides. For a city-dweller like me, I'd like to see more of them adopt what Zero does on one of their models, and make the battery removable. It would solve a couple of problems being able to take it into the condo to charge overnight, and reduce the chances of theft since that's the most expensive part.

12. otc

otc Senior member

I go back and forth...on one hand, electric is cool (efficient, cheap, low maintenance,etc), and electric motors have a crazy power band.
    It really would work well in the city, especially if I could carry the battery inside to charge. Not sure how long charge times are, but with enough range and a decent charge time (even if it was only a quick charge up to 80% in time for lunch or something), I could still make shorter trips like Chicago-to-Michigan.

On the other hand...motorcycling isn't always about practicality. There is something about the gurgle of the exhuast, the feeling of having to use 3 separate appendages to cycle up through the gears, the smell of petrochemicals...

I think I would miss the clutch and gearbox....would feel like riding an overgrown scooter. Sure, you could build a manual transmission and attach it to an electric motor, but that would a terrible idea (zero practical benefits, and a bunch more moving parts to fail).

13. Rumpelstiltskin

They make sense for a city dweller as far as environmental concerns but not having the ablity to blip your throttle to let cars know you are there could be hazardous to a rider's health

14. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I think Harley's electric bike is going to simulate the noise. I don't know about others, but I doubt they will make these as quiet as say a Prius.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Just said fuck it and put down a deposit for an HP4 Competition.

2 people like this.
  16. Cool The Kid

Yea I def see the practical aspects of it, but if I wanted practical I wouldnt ride a motorcycle

No gurgle, no gear shiftting... those are 2 of my favorite things about bikes, especially on the daily grind. No thx

I think a hybrid bike would make a lot more sense. You engine brake a shit ton with a regular bike... might as well put that energy into a battery

17. epb

epb Senior member

I hate that this attitude is so prevalent. Motorcycles make sense in a lot of scenarios (electrics even more so), but the US market seeing riding as just a fun hobby is what keeps the market from expanding here. Then everyone grouses "why don't WE get that bike?" All the excitement over the "retro" SR400 (BikeExif has another cool custom of one up, btw) - they've been making that bike the entire time. Sometime in the 80s, we stopped seeing them as transportation and more as something to pose with.

Speaking of bikes, the Sarah Jessica Parker ep of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee as a great quote about them by Seinfeld. He says a guy who rode worked for his dad and showed up soaked after riding to work in the rain. Jerry, a teen at the time, asked "Don't you wish you had a car now?" The guy replied "Nope. I wish it wasn't raining." :)

18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Motorcycles are very practical. Rain isn't so bad. So you get a little wet? Unless you're going to the opera who cares? On more than one occasion I've shown up to court hearings pretty wet from a ride in. You know what everybody else thinks? "That's a bad motherfucker."

I wouldn't go to a jury trial like that, obvs.

19. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I think electric bikes are a great idea and an inevitability. It just surprises the crap out of me that Harley Davidson is leading the charge. But their market is a large, rapidly-aging commodity.

I like my bikes to make enough noise to be a presence among the text-and-drive lobotomy victims I share the road with. So the quietness is a concern to me. But instant torque is oh so alluring. And without internal combustion, maintenance would be drastically reduced.

It's smart of Harley to be looking past the Baby boom. Kind of makes me interested in them for the first time ever.

20. Cool The Kid

Fuck that. Im already risking my life riding the thing.