1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Let me put it this way: There's the bike you buy because it looks cool and fits a certain aesthetic. There's the bike you buy because it sounds awesome. There's the bike you buy for the handling and versatility. And there's the bike you buy for raw power.

The Street Triple R is all of these things.

There's no bike you can do ANYthing on. But this is as close as it comes IMO.

Sure it's doesn't reference archaic unsafe technology that seems to impress hipsters, or have all the grunt and pull of a literbike for all the straight-line-riding hotheads. But in terms of handling, quickness, aesthetics sound and overall satisfaction with a bike that isn't so overboard it'll get you killed, I've never experienced better on two wheels. Simple enough machine to do some of your own work on (only major electronics systems really are EFI and ABS, but I don't need more than that), popular enough that there are plenty of mods available (check out OrangeMan's bike), it's a sporty ride so you can scoot back, lean in and play speedracer, but allows an upright enough position so you can scoot your butt forward, catch some wind and keep pressure off your wrists.

Did i mention it's utterly beautiful? Elegant in a manner that is purely modern, not tacky at all and decidedly different than the japanese bikes everyone and their homie has. And it's not a Ducati. Don't get me wrong, I think Ducs are great. But outside of their effing amazing supersport bikes, I think of them as the Harley of the sporty bike world. Everybody wants to be seen on one and they're way expensive to buy and maintain. Don't buy a f*king Monster.

Now, you may be worried that the Triple is way more powerful than you're used to. That is absolutely true. HOWEVER, the power is very friendly and easy to handle at low RPMs. You can pretty much do any speed in any (reasonable) gear and the bike won't be too jumpy or punish you for imperfect shifting. The power sit's in a little corner while you play around at low RPMs, waiting for you to wake it up. When you do, be careful. And you will want to, because hard acceleration makes the exhaust note go from sounding like george jetson's car to one of the angriest and best exhaust notes in modern motorcycling. You'll get addicted to the combination of that sound and sensation. It will begin to draw the hooligan out of you. You can expect to increase your general swagger by 10% as a result. ::russian accent:: First you break in bike. Den, bike breaks in you.

But I digress.

You can read all my initial impressions on my thread here: http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/389050-holy-hell-from-cruiser-to-str.html

Say hi, Lola. Honey, wave to all the nice people...

[​IMG]

2. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Awesome.

My biggest concern about getting one (or any other bike) is that I don't ride nearly enough to justify another bike.

I had an awesome ride on my Bonnie this past weekend and I'm in love with its third gear and the sound my Dominator exhaust makes.

I have a front fork spring lowering kit on order from Progressive Suspension which should help the front end feel more planted. I reached out to the previous owner and turns out the rear Ikon shocks he installed are 1" shorter than stock so I should be dropping the front end by an inch to compensate.

Haven't posted a pic in a while so here's the current state:

[​IMG]

3. BostonHedonist

Yeah and you haven't had it long. Sure do like what you did with that seat and I am a fan of the dominator exhaust.

Bonnie is a great bike. I know dudes who have put a ton of miles on one. Hell who doesn't?

If around town a little here and there is your thing, I wouldn't see the need to upgrade. If, like me, you find yourself scraping your pipes in turns after a year or two, ringing out every ounce of power your engine has and finding more and more excuses to go for longer and longer rides - well then think about a STR.

4. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Looks good man. I love the look you've got going on. :slayer:

I'll post up a pic of my cb750 bulld later this week. Finally done

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Lola's a pretty girl and a great ride. I just don't like her eyejob. I liked her old eyes better

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  6. BostonHedonist

Rounded headlights are outdated. They don't go with the new geometric design aesthetic anyway.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  7. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Thanks dudes. Looking forward to more pics in here as the bikes start to come out of hibernation.

8. otc

otc Senior member

but...physics hasn't changed!

9. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Man I want to upgrade so bad. Maybe next year.

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

What do you wanna get?

11. Cool The Kid

I have a Ninja 650 now. I like it. It's comfy, light and handles well enough. But I want a better suspension and more HP. Budget would probably be about 5K. I would love a Striple but it's out of my budget and I think the Speed Triple might be a little heavier than I like. I'm thinking anything from an SV1000N to a naked old GSXR750. Sometihng in that 100-120WHP ~400-430lb range. Would be awesome if the pillion accommodations were decent too.

12. BostonHedonist

Yeah, you have a point. Theoretically speaking. =P

SVs are great bikes. But I guess the most important question is: what kind of riding do you do? I'm into aggressive street riding and need to slice through traffic, so a naked sport-standard works well for me. No thoughts of a used R6?

13. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

How about a small motorcycle for riding a few miles to work and back? Thinking something like a 250cc. Looking for something small and light. I have something obscene like a 27" inseam. I like a standard/upright riding position. Cheap running costs and good mpg. Hoping for ~$1.5-2k max. CB250?

14. Cool The Kid

Ideally, I would do 80% commuting, 15% canyon carving, 4% track days and 1% 2 up riding. Practical/logical choice would be something like a VFR800 or Sprint ST.... but I love naked bikes. I want to ride a VFR and see if that V4 and its build quality can win me over. The 650 is worthless so I could keep it to fulfill my naked/build up needs.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I had a 5th gen VFR and generally loved it, but it was damn heavy and not great for city riding.

16. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Id go for mid-2000s Honda F4i before the VFR, unless your commute involves less traffic than mine. Next to that f4i, newer gsxrs are the super sports with the most comfortable ergos.

Yamahas FZ07 coming later this summer seems like it may well be the perfect bike for 80/20 commute/canyon. At least on paper.

17. Cool The Kid

Yea the lightness of the 650 is key. My commute shouldn't be too traffic heavy, but you never know.

FZ07 sounds alright but it's basically a modern version of my 650. If I went that route I'd prob jump to the FZ09, or the Street Triple.

I'm not crazy about the F4i. Prob scratch the ZX6R off too. I feel like they will be weak on the low end, which is kind of where I would like more power as that's where I do most of my ridiing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  18. BostonHedonist

From everything I'm hearing, the FZ-09 sounds like the bike for you. If it's 80% commuting and you need light weight but want massive torque - AND you don't want to shell out for the Street Triple - I'd say wait til the fall and look for someone who got bored with their FZ

19. epb

epb Senior member

You thinking something newer or is vintage okay? The first newer bike to come to mind is the Suzuki TU250X, but they're still over $2k - in part because Suzuki only seems to sell them in the US every other year.

If you're looking for something older, CB200Ts, CB350s, and CB450s are all easily found in that price range. The CB200T seems well suited for shorter inseams.

20. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Senior member

Except for the fact that they are fully clothed the 05/06 Kawi 636 or any of the 675 Daytonas would fit the bill.