1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tck13, Mar 15, 2006.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

2. brokencycle

Holy triple post.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

3. TRINI

TRINI Distinguished Member

4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Distinguished Member

The "Biker gets rear-ended, lands on feet" youtube vid makes me squeamish just watching it; I'm pretty sure if that happened to me I'd be hard pressed to ever get back on a bike.

I am constantly scanning my side-views for that kinda crap, and sitting off to the side in lanes. Good grief. Scary. Wish we could lane split.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

5. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Brooklyn to NC? Kind of an extreme change

6. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Distinguished Member

I had my fill of NYC (29 yrs)

I was actually in the UES the last 3 years. Def want to visit every now and then but I was itching to leave. It was the right move.

7. Tck13

Tck13 Distinguished Member

8. Tck13

Tck13 Distinguished Member

I think you mean uneducable or ineducable. Just because someone buys a bike other than a 750 doesn't mean that they automatically don't know anything about riding, don't want to learn anything about riding, etc. While there are many riders like this I don't believe it's the majority. Also, one can buy a fittingly sized bike and handle it / learn how to handle it quite well.

See above.

Now it's all Americans that don't know how to ride well? And all Americans like guns but can't shoot well? I assume that you don't live in America.

How much training have you had with your bike and how many miles a year do you ride? Just curious.

9. epb

epb Senior Member

Your responses indicate a radical, almost willfull misreading of the text. In short, I'm acknowledging that while it's possible for people to figure out how to ride a motorcycle with no training on a poorly-chosen bike, it's not the best way to learn. This is not a radical concept - it applies to pretty much all walks of life; playing guitar, computer programming, poetry, fighting, neurosurgery. In the end, the person pursuing any endeavor has to decide whether they want to do the best they can or just get by - really learn to play, or just learn the opening riff to "Smoke On The Water." I'm of the view that a new rider's main focus should be on learning to ride well, with strong grounding in the fundamentals of riding technique, safety practices, and bike maintenance. Then again, I'm also of the opinion people playing intruments should be able to read music and people writing novels should know sentence structure and the rules of grammar.

You don't agree? I've got great news - you don't have to! The hope is that when new riders go looking for viewpoints on a first bike, they see various ones from experienced riders and decide what will work for them. You're more than welcome to state your views on the topic, as I did, and let them stand. No need to clutter the thread with anecdotes about how cousin Billy-Bob learned on a Ducati 916 when he was 12 and went on to when the Isle of Man TT.

10. brokencycle

I think the advice from the blog in Trini's post is really good. In fact, I may need to spend some more time practicing with the front brake in a parking lot.

11. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

My front break is so crappy that I could never possibly have that problem (I've tried).

12. brokencycle

I had a close call last night - I wound up having to move into the shoulder area because I started locking up.

13. Rumpelstiltskin

When I was 14 or 15, I envisioned myself racing and winning the Tour de France and so I set up a rigid training schedule. I lived in Eastern Queens back then and I would ride out to the velodrome in Kissena Park (this is back in the 80s) in Flushing and ride laps. I had read (and experienced) that the front brake performed 85-95% of the braking duties. I had a track bike ("fixie" for the hipsters or a "constant" for any West Indians) for back then with only a front brake so front brake use only (as well as modulation to avoid lock ups) was second nature. One of the first things I noticed when I started riding motorcycles was that most new riders would only use their rear brakes and were frightened to touch the front for fear of flipping over. I have never had that issue thanks to my childhood obsession.

14. Rumpelstiltskin

As long as it isn't stretched out and you keep it cleaned and lubed, rock on

15. brokencycle

I have no problem using it at all, but when I squeezed the brake my bike started sliding around. I was able to maintain control and avoid laying it down, flipping it, or hitting the stopped car in front of me, but I feel like I should have been able to do a better job.